Why become a member? ×

New to bass!

Leeroy

Hello, firstly I apologise is I have posted in the wrong section I got here less than 2 minutes ago :)

So yea, about me. Ive played on and off electric guitar for about a year. Im left handed and play a lefty guitar BUT i'm thinking of starting bass.

Now my dilemma is that now im starting bass should i play a lefty or a right (normal) bass.

Arguements FOR playing Left:
- I have some dexterity already there from electric experience
- It feels naturally good and it what I learned on

Arguements FOR playing Right:
- Wayyy more selection of guitars!
- Cheaper guitars
- Dont get people slagging you for playing left handed -.-

Arguments AGAINST Left:
- Really really poor selection of guitars in comparison to right
- People slag you off for playing it wrong (not all)
- Cant pick up and play other peoples rightys

Arguments AGAINST Right:
- I will have to start over building up dex and strength
- Feels very retarded at the moment but I think(?) that it will eventually become second nature with practice
- My ring finger on my left hand (fretting hand for playing righty) has been dislocated before resulting in the end joint of that finger not being able to bend upwards much, making bridging over multiple strings very hard (almost impossible) BUT for bass technique do you even need to bridge over strings? aka with a flat finger? Or is it mostly finger work...

Cheers guys, personally im happy to learn right handed aslong as it will eventually feel better once I practice! and also as long as the lack of movement in that joint doesnt effect the play. Appreciate any help people :huh:

Welcome Leeroy!

Mighty fine first question!

My vote goes for playing bass right handed.

The dosh you'll save down the years on not having to use left handed basses, amp heads, cabinets, cases, stands, strings etc,. will make the learning curve well worth it ...,
It will also give you a great party trick :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='295464' date='Sep 30 2008, 02:54 PM']Welcome Leeroy!

The dosh you'll save down the years on not having to use left handed basses, amp heads, cabinets, cases, stands, strings etc,. will make the learning curve well worth it ...,
[/quote]

Left Handed amp?

[quote name='OldGit' post='295464' date='Sep 30 2008, 02:54 PM']Welcome Leeroy!

[/quote]

Left handed strings?

Yea, im prepared to learn right tho.

I just hope that 1) it will feel good after practice and 2) that the limited movement on the fretting ring finger wont interfear, but I dont think you do bridge when playing bass?

Also since its bass then surely playing it with your 'bad' hand isnt quite as hard as electric because its more finger work? Or am I talking crap i dunno :)

Go to a music shop and try a right handed bass, and see if it feels okay, if not try a left handed, go with whichever you find easier. As far as I know most basses come in left or right hand (someone will tell me I am wrong in that no doubt), but look at online stores for left handed basses and see what is out there.

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='296158' date='Oct 1 2008, 08:28 AM']you could always play lefty, but buy righty and string it upside down, a la cobain and hendrix et al...you get to keep your dexterity, and get the choice of basses (but upside down!) so could be a win-win?[/quote]

Good idea. You would have to replace the nut though, but that's a fairly simple job.

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='296164' date='Oct 1 2008, 08:42 AM']Good idea. You would have to replace the nut though, but that's a fairly simple job.[/quote]

and ... you can turn yourself down with your forearm! :)

OK I confess, the left handed amp, strings, pick, etc was a joke, well, like a joke only not really funny :huh:
Took you all a while to pick it up though :huh:

Nah,
Play right handed for 6 months and see how it feels ...

Edited by OldGit

You have to try both ways and see what feels most natural, especially playing continuously for an hour or so.
My left-handed son (13) has just started on bass, and immediately went for playing right handed, I didn't push him either way
Personally I'm thinking of getting a left-handed Wal and playing it upside down as they're the only remotely affordable ones I ever see!

Think about trying a violin bass (either a genuine German Hofner, or a Hofner-made Chinese one, or one of the many cheap copies).

Once you take off the pick-guard, it looks the same played either R/H or L/H except that the controls may be on the "wrong" side.

You could then try playing the same bass both ways, and decide which you prefer.

I always wondered why left handed instruments existed... after all, both hands are doing lots of stuff. On reflection, I think I've concluded that your picking hand is actually doing the *hard* work. If you go for a right handed bass, you just might be crippling your playing from the start or at least making it harder than it could be.

You don't need a big selection of basses... you only need one! Ultimately, it may mean you have to special order something and wait rather than grab it off the rack and it might cost you a bit more, but it's only money :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='296209' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:29 AM']Think about trying a violin bass (either a genuine German Hofner, or a Hofner-made Chinese one, or one of the many cheap copies).

Once you take off the pick-guard, it looks the same played either R/H or L/H except that the controls may be on the "wrong" side.

You could then try playing the same bass both ways, and decide which you prefer.[/quote]

And work for ever in a Beatles tribute band! :)
Genius!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='296236' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:45 AM']I always wondered why left handed instruments existed... after all, both hands are doing lots of stuff. On reflection, I think I've concluded that your picking hand is actually doing the *hard* work. If you go for a right handed bass, you just might be crippling your playing from the start or at least making it harder than it could be.

You don't need a big selection of basses... you only need one! Ultimately, it may mean you have to special order something and wait rather than grab it off the rack and it might cost you a bit more, but it's only money :)[/quote]

There's loads of players on here who are sinister but play right handed .. Some big name players do too.

Leeroy: Re your poor broken finger tip; Don't worry, you can actually play bass effectively with three fingers on your fretting hand. You will just develop your own technique.

Edited by OldGit

[quote]you could always play lefty, but buy righty and string it upside down, a la cobain and hendrix et al...you get to keep your dexterity, and get the choice of basses (but upside down!) so could be a win-win?[/quote]
Although not exactly like them, as you would have to choke on your own vomit or shoot yourself in the face...