Why become a member? ×

New band; Sick/absent lead singer. Am I being too impatient?

solo4652

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1464103014' post='3056576']
Have you got another band lined up ready to join?

If not look for another band.

In the mean time I'd suggest to them to take a break until the singer is ready. There's no point in half rehearsing a band.
[/quote]

My other band folded three weeks ago!

If they have no gigs lined up because they were looking for a bass player, why is the husband offering to do the singing...in readiness for gigs, which seems a long way off..??
Maybe the illness is a bit more than they all think or have mentioned.
If you have no gigs, 6 weeks means nothing... might as well wait IF all is as they say.

But depends if that suits your timetable.

If the make do singer isn't good enough...and you are too new to mention it, then that pretty much means you will look out for something else and retain both options upto the time comes to choose..

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1464109944' post='3056639']

My other band folded three weeks ago!
[/quote]

Most bands fold, especially start ups. Most are not together long enough to see their first gig.

It's not always an option but I always reccomend going with working established bands.

Blue

Edited by blue

OK - thank you to everybody for helping me to think this through. Much appreciated.

Rather than push on with my new-band enthusiasm, I'm going to back off and see how things develop. I fully realise that this is a difficult time for the female singer, her husband and their good friend, the guitarist. I don't want to add to pressures by being impatient and pushy. I'll be available as and when needed. The overall picture is complicated further by the guitarist's wife expecting their first child any day now.

I'm keen to get going with an active band, so I'll look for an additional crew, as sensibly suggested by the Basschat collective wisdom.

That's a good move.

At one point I was 'in' 4 bands.

One never gigged but rehearsed every couple of weeks.
One was starting up and the guitarist was ill. We never more than 3 rehearsals. I'm still waiting 4 years later to find out if the band has folded, whether the guitarist is better or if I've been chucked out. :D
One rehearsed weekly but hardly ever gigged.

So I found a 4th who were gigging and rehearsing regularly.
Then 'left' the others.

Ultimately you can't hang around forever in case something might happen. You have to make your own luck.

I have had a similar experience just a few weeks ago.

I was auditioned by a drummer and guitarist who had a singer absent whilst undergoing chemo-therapy. They are all senior citizens. It was explained that they were holding the singer's place in anticipation of a good recovery and that they wanted to audition for bass, keys and rhythm guitar thereby making a six piece band. On the night the singer dropped in for a short practice on his way home from hospital. We all got on well.

A couple of weeks after we jammed I was offered the bassist's role. I duly learned the first six suggested songs and was waiting for a further six as promised. After a little delay waiting for the new material I went along to their place of practice and discovered them on their second rehearsal with a new bass player and a new set list! It was an interesting way to find out that my efforts were for nowt.

I came away a little bit wiser and with a few more songs in my repertoire. Stuff happens. Still looking.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1464167156' post='3057029']
Rather than push on with my new-band enthusiasm, I'm going to back off and see how things develop...
[/quote]

Sir, you are a gentleman...

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1464115386' post='3056701']
Most bands fold, especially start ups. Most are not together long enough to see their first gig.

It's not always an option but I always reccomend going with working established bands.

Blue
[/quote]
joining an established band is fine if you are happy to take direction and not have an opinion.
for those of us who do like to have a say in the band and have a little bit of an adventure start up bands whether they work or not are the answer.

yes a high proportion will fold, but how do you have an established working band if it didn't start somewhere? they don't just magically appear.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1464176896' post='3057216']

20 years later!?
[/quote]

That was in response to Rockford's question about not being any established bands without start up bands.

The reason start up bands have so much trouble is because a lot of the established bands aren't actually full of people who have been there from day one.

So you find a band can get the same gigs and play similar music being effectively an 'established band' but actually have only been playing together for a few months in its current line up.

The band I started has no members newer than 4 years ago and the newest member joined last week. :D

I think 'established' doesn't nessecarily mean the band. If the band leader is well known by promoters and known to be able to put a decent project together then that holds a lot more sway.

A group of unknown musicians trying to get a foot in the door is nigh on impossible.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1464178416' post='3057243']

is it an established working band doing 4 hours gigs? if not, it is probably going to fold.... the majority of bands do
[/quote]

I think so. They play a few Beatles numbers as well which are quite popular with the older generation.

is it an established working band doing 4 hours gigs? if not, it is probably going to fold.... the majority of bands do
[/quote]

Meow

:)

Edited by ahpook

Speaking as someone who has had surgery twice in two years (half of thyroid out last year, and all of my cancerous prostate gland last month), having a decent band with the loyalty to wait for you is a wonderful thing.

Try to get a clear picture of what is going on. I don't think the others would be hanging around if they were not confident of the singer's return. It may be worth asking if they kinow a female singer who could dep, so as not to have to struggle for songs.

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1464173667' post='3057149']

joining an established band is fine if you are happy to take direction and not have an opinion.
for those of us who do like to have a say in the band and have a little bit of an adventure start up bands whether they work or not are the answer.

yes a high proportion will fold, but how do you have an established working band if it didn't start somewhere? they don't just magically appear.
[/quote]

I'm a paid bass player in an established band I joined 5 years ago. I was lucky, they passed all my requirements;

1.Stable ,good, fun, honest trustworthy locals. Female lead guitar front,70s rock and blues. A genre I have a decent amount t if experience in.

2. Respectable rehearsal studio

3. Respectable booking history and book of business

Rockford makes a good point, most guys want a little more.

Me, playing bass guitar and singing backgrounds is where it ends for me.

I don't mind taking directions and I'm good at it. Input, we have 2 senior members that are a lot better with that than me. And I'd have to charge extra for my input.

Adventure, sounds fun but I'll pass on that one.

Blue

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1464216930' post='3057736']
Speaking as someone who has had surgery twice in two years (half of thyroid out last year, and all of my cancerous prostate gland last month), having a decent band with the loyalty to wait for you is a wonderful thing.

Try to get a clear picture of what is going on. I don't think the others would be hanging around if they were not confident of the singer's return. It may be worth asking if they kinow a female singer who could dep, so as not to have to struggle for songs.
[/quote]

Contrary to my initial response, I like 12strings suggestion better. This is good.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1464177278' post='3057223']

That was in response to Rockford's question about not being any established bands without start up bands.

The reason start up bands have so much trouble is because a lot of the established bands aren't actually full of people who have been there from day one.

So you find a band can get the same gigs and play similar music being effectively an 'established band' but actually have only been playing together for a few months in its current line up.

The band I started has no members newer than 4 years ago and the newest member joined last week. :D
[/quote]

I see your point,and true most of the time. In my case after 10 years we still have the 2 founding members.

If we lost our female lead vocals, lead guitarist, I think the band would be done.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1464179136' post='3057254']

I think so. They play a few Beatles numbers as well which are quite popular with the older generation.
[/quote]

We have 2 in our first set, "Come Together " and "Get Back".

Yeah people seem to like them.

Blue

[/quote]

Or for the UK the 2 hour pub gig.

But yeah, if it's not a stable established working band, chances are that will never see their first gig.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1464177623' post='3057227']
I think 'established' doesn't nessecarily mean the band. If the band leader is well known by promoters and known to be able to put a decent project together then that holds a lot more sway.

A group of unknown musicians trying to get a foot in the door is nigh on impossible.
[/quote]

You make my point a lot better than I do.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1464235700' post='3057765']
I see your point,and true most of the time. In my case after 10 years we still have the 2 founding members.

If we lost our female lead vocals, lead guitarist, I think the band would be done.

Blue
[/quote]

Musically, I think 'local' bands are 'done' after 5 years, but understand how money may be quite a factor.