Why become a member? ×

Why does my G string keep going flat?

SisterAbdullahX

Been annoying me for a while now. G string on my otherwise gorgeous Fender CIJ Jazz Bass keeps going flat. Doesn't happen on the other three strings, can't be down to a duff string as it happened with last set as well. I always tune up to pitch, not down. Can the tuner be turned by the tension of the string? Tried tightening the screw on the back of the tuner but it's as tight as I can get it. I don't bend the G string or do any manic slapping. What gives?

The nature of the worm gear used on tuners is that they can only be rotated by the tuning button and not by the string post. If the tuner was slipping it would be either because the gears were worn or because the brackets holding the gears in place were allowing too much play in the gears causing them to un-mesh. In either case the result would be very obvious to see and feel.

It could be that both G strings are faulty. I would suggest that the string isn't properly anchored in the tuning post and slipping out, causing it to go flat. How many turns of the string do you have around the post?

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1463520544' post='3052085']

Four turns, DR Nickel Low Riders, so not cheapies!
[/quote]

I stopped using DRs a while ago as I got fed up with the amount of duff strings I was getting.
Just sayin'...

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1463520544' post='3052085']
Four turns, DR Nickel Low Riders, so not cheapies!
[/quote]

Unfortunately price is no indication of how good a string is. You are stretching your strings out when you fit them?

[quote name='Manton Customs' timestamp='1463524715' post='3052113']
It'll be the string binding in the nut slot. It's too tight, so get a tech to file it.
[/quote]

Or at the string retainer. I had exactly this problem with a Squier VMJ - the string windings would catch against the edge of the string retainer which meant that it was impossible to get the G string in tune since it would click into the next position either slightly flat or slightly sharp.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1463521293' post='3052089']

I stopped using DRs a while ago as I got fed up with the amount of duff strings I was getting.
Just sayin'...
[/quote]

I love 'em. They seem to be lasting forever. And as I stated in post, the G on the last set (D'Addarios I think) had the same problem.

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1463509928' post='3051968']
Been annoying me for a while now. G string on my otherwise gorgeous Fender CIJ Jazz Bass keeps going flat. Doesn't happen on the other three strings, can't be down to a duff string as it happened with last set as well. I always tune up to pitch, not down. Can the tuner be turned by the tension of the string? Tried tightening the screw on the back of the tuner but it's as tight as I can get it. I don't bend the G string or do any manic slapping. What gives?
[/quote]

How many turns around the post? If you have many turns and there's a little slack between the turns... you'll go flat over a period of time until the slack is gone.
How do you anchor the string on the post? The thinner string is more prone to not anchoring well if you're not paying attention... sharply bend the string so that it anchors in the post. I generally only use 1-2 turns[*], and provided it's well anchored the tuning is solid.
Does the G-string nut slot stick a bit? If if does... it can cause the same issue. Similarly with string trees at times.

[*] except E A strings on Fender type headstocks without a string tree, where you rely on several turns to ensure the string exits from the bottom and thus providing enough breaking angle over the nut.