Why become a member? ×

Cover band bingo

Les

They're all classic rock. If that's what you market your band as playing and you don't do at least a handful of those tunes there's going to be a few disappointed punters. Play them well and they're all perfectly decent songs.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1462972047' post='3047413']
We play 7 of them, though on any one gig probably four. I like doing the more unusual stuff and I'm still sulking because the rest have decided to ditch "Kayleigh".
[/quote]

This is in the list of the band that have just taken me on. It was one of those basslines I'd always wanted to have a go at but never got round to. I probably won't do it note for note but hopefully get a good gist of it over for the punters.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1462971405' post='3047407']
I'm fine with playing any of these numbers and the audience reaction is the only criteria we judge a song on. . . . however. . . . one of the main comments we hear is that they like us because we play different songs.

Apparently many cover bands play the same numbers.
[/quote]

I agree.

We play two of those numbers. I've probably played them all at some point, some of them only once, on the fly, at a gig as a dep.

The only criteria for our set list is the tune has to be well known. There's nothing worse than having members of the audience siting there with blank faces asking you to "Play something we know."

Well actually there is: having people coming out of the audience and pleading with you to play a particular song that's not, never has and never will be on your setlist. :D

People like familiarity but they also like to be surprised. Hence the positive comments and reactions you'll get when you play something the rest of the bands don't play.

This was on last week. Why we like Repetition in Music:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03t9drb

Hate to admit it but have played 23 of the 25. However, my excuse is that I have been around for about 200 years

My only saving grace is that one of the two un-played songs is the song I hate most in all the world. Did I say world? I meant Universe. (Maggie May)

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1462886161' post='3046627']
And four corners!!!

Of course a professional bingo player would use a dabber!!
[/quote]

Spelling nazi alert: A professional would also know its called a dauber, not a dabber, as in "[size=4][color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif]Was it a Mecca Dauber or a betting pencil?" [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif]Score 4 for my previous 4 bands, and 2 in the current set list.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1463488138' post='3051716']

Spelling nazi alert: A professional would also know its called a dauber, not a dabber, as in "[size=4][color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif]Was it a Mecca Dauber or a betting pencil?" [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif]Score 4 for my previous 4 bands, and 2 in the current set list.[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

Can be either!!! Don't argue with a bingo professional!!!! :)