Why become a member? ×

An initial approach to effects for slap

Stylon Pilson

I need to figure out a way of taming slap. My current approach is a bit slapdash and causing me problems. Here's what I do:

I have a PJ bass. Most of the time I run it with the P pickup on full and the J on about 4/10. Then, when I want to slap, I just turn the P pickup all the way down. This compensates for the increased volume. I also have an envelope filter which adds a nice squelch, but seems to suck a lot of the low end out. The end result is that when I'm slapping, I'm finding that I don't really have an acceptable amount of control over either volume or EQ.

I've got a few possible approaches rattling around in my head:

1. A simple compressor would obviously tame my volume issues in a trice, and likewise an EQ pedal would allow me to restore balance. But then, I'd rather prevent the low end getting lost in the first place, than try to restore it later.

2. A variant on this approach would be to get a compressor to control volume, and then shop around for a replacement envelope filter that gives me the frequency response that sounds more pleasing.

3. Alternatively, I'm thinking that the Dunlop MXR Bass Envelope Filter pedal might be a one-pedal solution to the problem. It would replace my current envelope filter, and having the independent dry and wet level controls would basically allow me to satisfy my three requirements of (a) enough wet signal to sound suitably funky, (B) enough dry signal to sound suitably bassy, and (c) enough overall volume to match my volume when not slapping. The downside to this is that there's no compression so the slap volume is still going to be a little inconsistent.

My dream solution to this would be a single pedal that's primarily an envelope filter with the capability to blend dry signal back in, and an integrated compressor that follows it up. Then I just have a one-button "slap mode" pedal solution.

My questions are:

1. Does such an integrated pedal exist? If not,

2. What do you think of the idea of getting the Dunlop MXR Bass Envelope Filter and placing a compressor after it? It's not a one-button solution, which is the drawback as I see it.

3. What do YOU do to solve this problem?

Thanks.

S.P.

Not that I do much slap at the minute, I used to do nothing but (hey, we were all 17 once...)

I took lots of time making sure my technique was bang on, making sure the acoustic volume of the thumb 'slap' was the same as the finger 'pop' and adjusting accordingly. It's easier to pop hard than it is to slap hard, the position of the hand is pivotal in this.

Also, if you hit hard with your thumb a lot, you just end up with a sore thumb.

So, say you have a stingray with 21 frets, the striking thumb should hit the string directly above the 20/21st fret - this gives the lovely bounce and percussive element.

The pop/finger should be between the fingerboard end and the front pickup.

This stops all the thudding when the string hits the pickups.

Then imagine the thumb is the kick drum and the finger is the snare, and go for hours doing octave runs, just adjusting pressure from each hit until they're balanced.

A light amount of compression will keep it tidy, and you'll find that effects will sound tidier once the technique is down - a compressor can only do so much.

Sorry if I've prattled on about stuff you already know/do.

I just remember a very experienced older guy telling me I was awful at slap and should stop playing it when I was about 13 and then taking huge offence, l nailed it for months and then went back to 'prove' him wrong.

And a Dod FX25B was always my choice of envelope filter - the MXR battered it when I compared them, a great pedal.

Edited by AndyTravis

You sound like someone who needs to find a compressor that's their best friend - by that I mean it becomes part of your sound and is as important as your fingers, adding control and discipline that you otherwise don't have. It's limiting in a way in that I just can't get "my tone" without my compressor (I use an EBS Multicomp that I've had for a long time). I got lucky though, it was one of the first I tried.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1462125184' post='3040475']
I've tried a TON of filters and MXR is by far the best I've found for slap. What are you using at the moment?
[/quote]

Currently using a Mooer Bass Sweeper. It's an inexpensive pedal, just really intended as an experiment to test the waters.

S.P.

I slapped alot when I was younger, and now that I'm older... oh, never mind! :)

It's a personal thing, but I tend to use lighter gauge strings (90 or 95 on the low 'E') for a more percussive sound, and a mid range EQ cut - to taste.

I'm not a big fan of the 'squashed' type of compression on the front end, but have a compressor at the end of my signal path for overall 'limiting' - more transparent.

I actually prefer slap with the P pup solo'd. The J blended in sounds too aggressive for me.

I just practised and practised until the volume of all my techniques are more or less the same volume.

Luckily for me, I have a robust finger style which means that I can use quite a hard attack for pick playing and slap and maintain a uniform volume for all.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1462206309' post='3041097']
I actually prefer slap with the P pup solo'd. The J blended in sounds too aggressive for me.

I just practised and practised until the volume of all my techniques are more or less the same volume.

Luckily for me, I have a robust finger style which means that I can use quite a hard attack for pick playing and slap and maintain a uniform volume for all.
[/quote]

I'm almost exactly the same. Definitely more of an old school sound, but to my ears it works better in a band Context.

However, rather than a limiter, how about an eq pedal of some sort? Some people prefer to scoop the mids abit for slap... I dont... But alot do. Plus you could use it to tame the volume.

Fraser

Edited by lefrash

The Boss bass limiter enhancer has a recommended setting for slap playing... These are quite cheap second hand or for really cheap I think that Behringer (and possibly Harley Benton?) Do a "clone" of this pedal. TBH the pedal helps but technique is probably the best solution.