Why become a member? ×

LM Tube 500 + Big Baby 2?

rhythmbug

I need a new cab and the specs of the BB2 really appeal to me. Except the issue the impedance, the cab is 8 ohm where as the Mark Bass is 500w @ 4 ohms or [b]300w @ 8 ohms[/b]. Is that enough power for small gigs of a loud heavy rock band? I want to have enough power on tap to avoid taking the MB into clipping territory.

Would consider other makes & models but ideally has a tweeter/crossover control , I'm not looking for a vintage vibe. Nothing over 2x12 in size, must be compact.

Cheers for any words of wisdom.

Mike

Edited by rhythmbug

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1461189569' post='3032390']
Not a lot in it between a 4 or 8ohm single-cab solution. Going from one 8ohm cab to two 8ohm cabs is a different kettle of fish, however.
[/quote]

This! The BB3 is also nice and responsive so will get the most from the head.

Edited by Musashimonkey

Stop worrying about impedance. Because of the way we perceive sound the extra 200W only give you a barely noticeable increase in sound level.

Technical explanation here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/making_it_loud.html

Choose on the basis of sound and practicality

Edited by Phil Starr

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1461175846' post='3032224']I used to use my original BF Compact at 8 ohms/ 300 watts from a Little Mark II and that was LOUD too.
[/quote]

This ^

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1461220286' post='3032491']
Stop worrying about impedance. Because of the way we perceive sound the extra 200W only give you a barely noticeable increase in sound level.

Choose on the basis of sound and practicality
[/quote]

And this ^

:)

I can drown out a drummer with a single 8 ohm BF Midget and my Markbass F1, in fact I've played gigs with only one cab plugged in, the barefaced cabs are very efficient.

A BB2 and the LM tube 500 should be able to demolish small buildings.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...