Why become a member? ×

First Bass you owned - still have it?

LewisK1975

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1478762971' post='3171399']
My first was a Sunn Mustang, very cheap P copy, no idea what happened to it or who j sold it to.
I remember it sounding awful but I played it to death for years as i practiced and practiced.
The second bass I ever had was a Bass Collection SB3111, with all its posh active circuitry and amazing neck.
I remember proudly playing it in my room once and my mum came in and said that initially she didn't uderstand why if I already had a bas's why I needed to get another, more expensive one but she said she could hear just how much better the Bass Collection was than the Sunn, and the it sounded really nice, and now she knew and understood!.
My first and only electric guitar was a sunn mustang too, I guess that the shop, Sounds Plus, in Ipswich sold lots of them in that range to keen teenagers back in the mid '90s!
[/quote]

One of them Mustangs here too, still gig it nearly every weekend. (Though mine's the 80s one made in India, bit better than the 90s pointy head ones)
:)

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1461061489' post='3030992']
Mine was a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]black Marlin slammer P-Bass copy with a maple fingerboard. Bought for £25 in 1988. I now know it was an awful Bass, but at the time I didn't know any different and I did some serious learning on that thing! Often wish I still had it, just for nostalgia. [/font][/color]
[/quote]

Jinx! My first bass was a Marlin Slammer too, a white P copy with a polished aluminium scratchplate. I'm quite glad I don't still own it.

Yep! Vintage brand V950B 5 stringer. Weighs a ton (6 hour practices on Mondays and Tuesdays was tough going). Didn't like the active electronics so took them out and rewired it to a Jazz configuration, also stuck some Kent Armstrongs in there in place of the meh stock pickups. Was my only bass for some time and it still got use until it was replaced about 18 months ago. Recorded the first 65daysofstatic album on it but it's not made it onto a record since.

Here it is in Sept '15 at a friend's wedding as part of my Bowie covers band. I'd injured my back a couple of weeks before and this beast was murder on it which is why I got a wafer thin Ibanez SR300 shortly after.

Edited by GarethFlatlands

My first bass was a Lindo. It was utter, utter sh*t. I bought it on Ebay - new - for about £30. I was robbed.

I sold it to a bloke at work for £20.

I've sold various basses since then, I had a Yamaha RBX374 which was OK but had no soul, then a MIM P, which again was OK but I didn't love.
I also sold my first decent bass, a Spector Legend Classic 5, which was great but I realised that I just don't like playing a 5er.

Now I have cut down to just a US P, EBMM 4H and a Marcus Miller Sire v7 - that covers pretty much anything I can imagine.

Some quite nice 1st basses here! My first bass was a no name P bass copy. It was pretty attrocious so I'm surprised i stuck with it. I gave that away (to a girl) and never saw it again.. and i wouldn't care to seeing again. However my 2nd bass was a Yamaha bbn4 which was great. For some reason i ended upon sticking a trem on it. Them i defretted it... Then sold it on eBay for 70 quid. I would love that one back!

Anyone on here got it?

Not the first bass I owned, but certainly a cherished one I had to sell when I was younger came up on eBay for sale again. Just watched it change hands. Guess it could be the last time I'll ever see it. Feeling a bit, you know, nostalgic and rubbish at the same time that maybe watching it come and go over this last year, it's just not meant to be. Like many facets to what was my music career.

I think I'll thin my herd down to the bare minimum and round things up.

On the subject though, I do have my first bass. A Marlin Sidewinder. It needs a bit of work, but I played the s**** out of it every night and day solidly when I started out. It really has enjoyed layers of blood, sweat and tears!