Why become a member? ×

Ampeg :D

waynepunkdude

Is it an SVT-3? If so, I'd say take it along.

Dial in lots of mids, turn the graphic EQ on then slide the level dial (No18 in the owner's guide) up to full.

And the tube gain knob gives more distortion to the left, less to the right -- the opposite of what many people expect.

It should be great -- have fun :)

Cheers

Mark

ppl ALWAYS GAS 4 an SVT, but really, unless U R after the VALVE sound, U really oughta stick with what U got & explore it's possibilities. Then after finding all it can do- make yr INFORMED decision. I had a B2R for about 3 yrs. Nice amp IMO. good sound, USE Graphic EQ & it's level control for extra Volume if needed. It adds HEAPS!!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='293797' date='Sep 28 2008, 11:24 AM']Do you you have to put the gain up more for a higher output pick up or a lower output pick up?[/quote]
Low output pickup. It's sending less signal, so you have to boost the gain to get the level. It's why a lot of amps have different inputs for passive and active basses (which send out a much hotter signal).

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='293842' date='Sep 28 2008, 01:51 PM']Low output pickup. It's sending less signal, so you have to boost the gain to get the level. It's why a lot of amps have different inputs for passive and active basses (which send out a much hotter signal).[/quote]

Mind that not all active basses have a hotter signal when playing active. Some passive basses go louder than active ones!

I think on your ampeg you could use the -15db for active basses, and just not use it for passive ones. I'm not sure how your ampeg deals with the gain if it peaks but for some dirt you might want to set it really close to peaking. Try it out I'd say!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='293797' date='Sep 28 2008, 11:24 AM']A little question about gain.

On the Trace I had to put the gain up to 7 before it clipped on this I put it up to 4 but that is with my P on the Ampeg but my Jazz on the Trace.

Do you you have to put the gain up more for a higher output pick up or a lower output pick up?[/quote]
I think that's more to do with the fact that Trace heads seem to have copious amounts of headroom on their input stage. I can crank my Traces much higher on the gain before clipping, with Ampegs, Edens, Peaveys etc I'm always around 2-4ish, with Trace it's anywhere from 7-10. Just different design is all.

(But yes, single coil vs humbucker picukps will have different outputs too)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='293853' date='Sep 28 2008, 01:05 PM']Ah I was wondering if a passive with bigger coils would need more gain to power them.

Cheers[/quote]

As it happens, the electrical impulse goes [i]from[/i] the bass [i]to[/i] the amp. (If it worked the other way round, you would be strapping on a tiny electric fire). :)

The bigger coils / pickups send more 'signal' so you need a bit less gain on the amp. Active pickups send even more signal because the little battery in the bass is doing a bit of amplification all on it's own, so when the signal gets to the amp you need even less gain.

Good news on the Ampeg. Nice amps. Got your Danelectro yet?

Edited by skankdelvar