Why become a member? ×

Mods! Please let computers & software & hifi into 'music related items' classifieds please

tedmanzie

Mods! - can we please have computers, music software & hifi in the 'music related items' please? I raised it before and you said you were going to implement some changes but nothing happened.

The 'Sell Anything' classifieds is interesting but it's a sales dead zone :
Music related items 16,460 topics / 63,545 replies
Sell anything 538 topics / 1,447 replies

The computers that tend to appear are usually music production specific, and if 'hifi' is not [i]music specific[/i] then what is it?! :)
I appreciate you don't want printers, scanners etc ending up in 'music related items' but can we perhaps have a re-think on letting in some currently banned items?

Cheers!
Ted

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1460711579' post='3028012']
The computers that tend to appear are usually music production specific, and if 'hifi' is not [i]music specific[/i] then what is it?! :)

[/quote]

I could make a computer "Music specific" By installing i-tunes by that measure.

Sell Anything is perfectly good for its use if there was more call for selling computers then it would be a busier. When I look for other items I am looking for bass and guitar parts, not computer parts. It's an already saturated forum section that does not need more posts.

Especially when some members clearly deal in computers for a living yet still allowed to post!

We are a Bass site, not a general stuff for sale site. It took forever to get a Sell Anything section and it serves the purpose.

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1460713095' post='3028033']

Sell Anything is perfectly good for its use if there was more call for selling computers then it would be a busier. When I look for other items I am looking for bass and guitar parts, not computer parts. It's an already saturated forum section that does not need more posts.

Especially when some members clearly deal in computers for a living yet still allowed to post!

We are a Bass site, not a general stuff for sale site. It took forever to get a Sell Anything section and it serves the purpose.
[/quote]

Well put, I totally agree. Would it be called the sell anything that doesn't fit in the sell anything forum? If people wanted to buy other stuff, the sell anything forum would be busier.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1460713095' post='3028033']

[/quote]

This.

These rules were laid down a long time ago as the 'other items' subforum started to become a bit like Gumtree. We didn't want that (nor did most others) so it the current rules were written, approved and published. I do not miss those days.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1460716013' post='3028075']
Selling software is problematic but other than that the sell anything is there for specifically that purpose. It being less busy is GOOD! It means your items stay at the stop for longer :D
[/quote]

Ok then I appreciate the 'other items' is already quite a busy forum, SO I propose two things!:

1. 'sell anything' forum is unlocked so that anyone can view it. It's currently locked to members only for some reason, which undoubtably doesn't help.

2. It is moved up the list so that it sits below 'other items' , this would bring it into line as a proper classifieds area rather than the poor cousin to the other areas!

p.s. selling legit software is not difficult

Edited by tedmanzie

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1460718406' post='3028113']

Ok then I appreciate the 'other items' is already quite a busy forum, SO I propose two things!:

1. 'sell anything' forum is unlocked so that anyone can view it. It's currently locked to members only for some reason, which undoubtably doesn't help.

2. It is moved up the list so that it sits below 'other items' , this would bring it into line as a proper classifieds area rather than the poor cousin to the other areas!

[/quote]

There are a few sites you could try if you want to sell non bass stuff to non members, ebay and gumtree spring to mind. Is this campaign all for the sake of being able to get your £20 annual selling fees worth and trying to sell masses of stuff on here that nobody here obviously doesn't want or need?
It's a bass players site for mainly hobbyists who come here in their leasure time to mix with like minded people not a handy collection of customers for you to bother with old record players and computers.
Sorry if that sounds harsh but I'm sick to death of people trying to make money out of others when it's not wanted, there are plenty of other sites to sell this stuff, I suggest you stop bothering volunteer admin with your business problems and find an appropriate site that caters to your needs.

[/quote]

I propose you set up your own forum, then you can do what you want.

[/quote]

I think the content of the thread is showing why things generally haven't naturally gone down that route. The site is slowly evolving though so I'll have a chat with ped when I next see him about how we handle sales forums going forward

[quote name='Luulox' timestamp='1460719795' post='3028136']
There are a few sites you could try if you want to sell non bass stuff to non members, ebay and gumtree spring to mind. Is this campaign all for the sake of being able to get your £20 annual selling fees worth and trying to sell masses of stuff on here that nobody here obviously doesn't want or need?
It's a bass players site for mainly hobbyists who come here in their leasure time to mix with like minded people not a handy collection of customers for you to bother with old record players and computers.
Sorry if that sounds harsh but I'm sick to death of people trying to make money out of others when it's not wanted, there are plenty of other sites to sell this stuff, I suggest you stop bothering volunteer admin with your business problems and find an appropriate site that caters to your needs.
[/quote]

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1460720879' post='3028152']
I propose you set up your own forum, then you can do what you want.
[/quote]

Both of you, with respect, keep your ignorant and patronising opinions to yourself. I am a long standing member of this forum who plays bass (yes!), and guitar, and i am a professional producer making music for my living. I happen to have a few items of music related gear that I want to sell. I am simply politely suggesting some thoughts on the classifieds which forms a lot of the activity on this site. Check my feedback - I not a 'business seller' or 'someone who deals in computers' etc and I really don't appreciate being patronised in that tone.
Thanks
Ted

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1460721663' post='3028160']

Both of you, with respect, keep your ignorant and patronising opinions to yourself. I am a long standing member of this forum who plays bass (yes!), and guitar, and i am a professional producer making music for my living. I happen to have a few items of music related gear that I want to sell. I am simply politely suggesting some thoughts on the classifieds which forms a lot of the activity on this site. Check my feedback - I not a 'business seller' or 'someone who deals in computers' etc and I really don't appreciate being patronised in that tone.
Thanks
Ted
[/quote]
You can't accuse people of being patronising and ignorant whilst been patronising and ignorant, it's not the done thing.
You have made this suggestion about this forum more than once and to be honest it would appear that everyone, or most people, besides you realise that this is not ebay. If I offended you by suggesting you were tight and we're attempting to milk the annual fee I will take this into consideration during any future interaction.

All the best

Edited by Luulox

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1460721663' post='3028160']
Thanks
Ted
[/quote]
I am being blunt, not patronising - there is a big difference.

I was a member of this forum before it existed and a mod/admin for 7 years (I quit through choice, due to the tedium of people coming up with ideas we've discussed many times before, like you know - this one). We know what works - we don't need to change it, no benefit will be seen except to you.

There are plenty of places to sell things, we have rules in place that are clearly visible. There is no democracy suggested.

[/quote]

No, because that way non bass players looking for a lawn mower, iPad or horse will see the ads and join to buy them, and we can then kiss goodby to the trust among musicians element of this forum that is a tangible factor in it's continued success

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1460723475' post='3028180']
I am being blunt, not patronising - there is a big difference.

I was a member of this forum before it existed and a mod/admin for 7 years (I quit through choice, due to the tedium of people coming up with ideas we've discussed many times before, like you know - this one). We know what works - we don't need to change it, no benefit will be seen except to you.

There are plenty of places to sell things, we have rules in place that are clearly visible. There is no democracy suggested.
[/quote]

You say blunt, I say rude, and at the very least this discussion has been carried out from several people here as if I am some kind of stranger suggesting that we turn the classifieds into gumtree. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is correct that I made the suggestion about a year ago that we allow 'music tech' items into the classifieds and this is the reply I was PM'd from Ian (moderator)

[indent=1]</snip>[/indent]

A simple and nice reply [edit - PM has been snipped so let's just say Ian agreed with the proposal]. Apologies for making the PM public but I'm taking a load of flak here for something that last time was dealt with as a perfectly reasonable suggestion and this time round has seen several less than pleasant replies directed at me.

You don't want music tech items in the classifieds, fine, no problem, but let's keep it reasonable. Jeez.

Thanks
Ted

Edited by tedmanzie
Moderator conversations are private

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1460728234' post='3028246']
You say blunt, I say rude, and at the very least this discussion has been carried out from several people here as if I am some kind of stranger suggesting that we turn the classifieds into gumtree. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is correct that I made the suggestion about a year ago that we allow 'music tech' items into the classifieds and this is the reply I was PM'd from Ian (moderator)

You don't want music tech items in the classifieds, fine, no problem, but let's keep it reasonable. Jeez.

Ted
[/quote]

You must spend a lot of your life being offended. This was my polite :(.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1460730276' post='3028277']
You must spend a lot of your life being offended. This was my polite :(.
[/quote]

Yup maybe I'm having a bad day, you know how things look worse written down sometimes!
No problem, let's move on here! :)