Why become a member? ×

Home practice amp

Rick05

Hi,

Recently my 15W home amp went the way of the dinosaurs and am looking to replace it and wanted to ask for suggestions for a good practice amp that is suitable for using in a block of flats, but is also good enough for me to also test my effects out (I have had issues with my old amp giving clarity with octave and fuzz).

I wanted to ask what wattage would be a good start for home practice, not sure it will ever make it out the flat and also recommendations, or suggestions of ones to look at,

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Rick

Hmmm well there's a lot isn't there.
I would suggest the fender rumble v3 40w has the same pre as the bigger models (smaller under 40w models don't) there light and have a half decent sound.
Or the Roland bass cube 20xl I had the older 30w model and they are great little practice amps you get plenty of boss related effects built in too.
Both work well with effects.

Edited by Twincam

Thanks for the reply. The fender sounds cool.

Sorry just to clarify, I have my own effects, I just want a good practice amp that can handle them. Some one recommended the ampeg ba 108 or ba 110, anyone with experience on these?

I`ve a couple of the earlier series Fender Rumbles. Have been very impressed with them, so based on that I`d recommend those - if the V3 Series is better, which given the rave reviews I`ve read, then they must be pretty good amps. I`d go for the 10 inch speaker one though, not for volume, just that my 30w one with a 10" speaker sounds better than the 15w which has an 8" speaker.

And yes, we know speaker size has nothing to do with sound, but it`s in a bigger box, so has been desined to have a fuller sound (I would assume, seeing as it is a fuller sound).

[quote name='Rick05' timestamp='1460284593' post='3024305']
Thanks for all the suggestions,

so far I think its a straight shot between the ampeg ba 110 and fender rumble 40. It might come down to ampeg based on price, but will see.
[/quote]

Before you buy the Ampeg ba110 you might want to read the worst amps you've played through thread on talkbass. The Ampeg ba combo series did not do well at all!

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1460284862' post='3024310']
Before you buy the Ampeg ba110 you might want to read the worst amps you've played through thread on talkbass. The Ampeg ba combo series did not do well at all!
[/quote]

Wow yeah, not a lot of love for the ba 115, but hopefully that doesnt apply to the 110 (long shot).

I've got a Gallien Kruger Backline 110 which would suit your needs perfectly. I've seen them go for less than £100 on eBay. Must say that I was impressed with the EBS session range - there was for sale here about a month ago within your budget - no idea if it sold.