Why become a member? ×

Best multi fx - not based on value for money, just the best!

tonyclaret

I've had a few over the years mainly zoom to be honest.

There is a lot of love for some of the high end Boss and Line 6 models.

Are they all that, any others to consider.

If money was no object, (although then you may buy separate pedals!) just pure quality.

:-)

Edited by tonyclaret

I've been watching closely the reviews on the new line 6 helix. It seems astounding. However it's serious cash. Total different ball game to the zoom stuff. I have a zoom ms60b and for what I use it for its easily the best value and practical multifx. One boss sized pedal and it covers my preamp, compressor, tuner and noise gate then I use it as a single stomp box (been used as an octaver most recently). Genius idea in my opinion.

Apparently the boss gt100 is excellent for bass too. Gets a lot of love on talkbass. I've only ever tried it on guitar and it sounded immense.

The helix for me though is the most exciting multifx board I've seen. Really need to get one for an afternoon. However I would feel a bit uneasy having a 1500 quid bit of kit on the floor.

Edited by lefrash

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1459684615' post='3018584']

The helix for me though is the most exciting multifx board I've seen. Really need to get one for an afternoon. However I would feel a bit uneasy having a 1500 quid bit of kit on the floor.
[/quote]

There's a rack version, but it costs more.

Fretmeister has bought one, don't know if he's got his mitts on it yet though.

I have just bought an Eventide H9 plus after doing some research on here. I can't stop playing with it which is good cos its going to take some serious playing with to get through the 100 pre-sets and then the 500 which are available free before you even start filling with your own stuff. The bandwidth is superb and whilst there are some sounds which really are more guitar options if you plan an e-c the you're in there too. The quality of the sounds are superb, full studio stuff and stereo. It bluetooth links up to your i pad so you can control everything without bending your ass down. I have tried main options recommended (not everything) and I wanted different and very high quality effects. If price is not an option (£500+ )You can't be disappointed with this but you need to work at your own sounds.

I'm using the TC Electronic G-System plus one or two pedals that the G-System can also control. This gives me the flexibility of an all out touring board but also the routing options that mean I can include some f my favourite pedals yet never have to touch their controls between patched. TC certainly have a long history in rack effects - the G-Force is, in comparison to the likes of the Zoom kit, old in the tooth, but still wipes the floor in terms of quality of algorithms. Eventide, TC and Lexicon are the brands I'd look to for pro rack gear but that's not to underestimate where the likes of Line 6, Fractal and Zoom are heading.

For a software solution, Positive Grid are streets ahead and I whole heartedly recommend them for the computer / IOS based musician. Indeed, I've just recorded all of my bass sounds using PG plug ins and it sounds massive alongside some truly top notch musicians. Mmmmm that rhythm section!!!

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1459713174' post='3018918']
And the TC works well with bass with no tonal loss. It looks the Dogs doodahs.
[/quote]

Oh yes! I've owned the G-Force, Nova System and G-Major2 too. All very good, only the Nova System's Analogue distortion path has a low end roll off, but you can bypass that anyway (The drive path is designed more for guitar anyway) - Other than that, yes they handle bass way down in to the 'subs'!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1459684808' post='3018586']

There's a rack version, but it costs more.

Fretmeister has bought one, don't know if he's got his mitts on it yet though.
[/quote]

Supposed to arrive at the shop on Thursday, so it hoping I'll get it for the weekend.

Fingers crossed and all that!