Why become a member? ×

SOLD Zon Sonus USA 'Lightwave' 4 String Bass
£1350

warwickhunt

[url="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/warwickhunt/media/Zon%20L2_zpsadjoxmcm.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/warwickhunt/media/Zon%20L3_zpswfmoillo.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/warwickhunt/media/Zon%20L_zps6l3fligs.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/warwickhunt/media/Zon%20L4_zpssput7hcy.jpg.html"][/url]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Full blown USA Zon Sonus Bass, NOT one of the later models produced elsewhere. The body is Swamp Ash faced with Maple. The bass is probably 10 years old (can't recall how to date Zons accurately) but can only be described as immaculate. I've checked the bass over top to bottom and can't find a single ding or dink on the body or neck. [/font][/color][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Graphite neck has no truss rod to worry about and is ultra stable. [/font][/color][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Super light weight 7lb 14oz and balances perfectly with no neck dive.[/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If you've not heard of the lightwave system, do a bit of research but essentially the system uses sensors on the bridge as opposed to magnetic pups. You get zero noise (even under lights) and unparalleled harmonics/sustain. You can use any strings on the bass inc nylon as there are no magnetic properties involved; setting up the system for new gauges or materials is a doddle, info available online but I'll supply a print out of factory instructions. Comes with two power supplies (UK and USA), spare Lightwave factory supplied battery (present battery holds charge for at 'least' the minimum 12 hrs of continuous use) and immaculate condition Zon branded case.[/font][/color]

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I would take a trade (always interested in trying new toys) BUT interested parties have to be realistic about respective values; if your bass/amp/cab regularly sells on BC for 'xyz' amount I'm not going to be giving you +50% of that figure... does that seem fair? [/font][/color]
[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm always interested in old or Ltd Ed Warwick basses, esoteric quality amps [/font][/color][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif](i.e. not Ashdown/Peavey etc.)[/font][/color][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] that I've maybe not owned yet, top quality cabs, Roadworn series P bass, light-weight Musicman Sterling or other interesting basses. [/font][/color]

Based in the NE but willing to ship at cost in the UK/Europe. Cash on collection or bank transfer not paypal.

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1459424002' post='3016367']
Do different strings make any difference to the tone? I'm guessing gauge would make more difference than material?
[/quote]

You know that's an interesting point! I've swapped 'normal' strings on the bass and I can't for the life of me think that I've ever made note of differences in tone. I suppose in theory the sensor tracks the string movement and each type of string will have it's own inherent qualities so they will sound different but I would likewise think that old strings shouldn't sound different to new strings... if a buyer wants to play, I've a few sets of used but as new strings (inc flats), which you can experiment with. :)

I've had a few queries, which might be easier to answer here.

[b]Controls[/b] - Vol/Bass/Treble/Piezo vol. The piezo which I think they call 'Icetone' can be added to the Lightwave but not used in isolation.
[b]Tone[/b] - If you are using a Precision or Jazz as tonal benchmark then it 'probably' has more leaning to the J than the P... BUT it has it's own tone which is oddly similar to the Zon Sonus I had with a pair of Bart J pups. I have to say that the sustain and harmonic content are what lift it above comparing it to other basses.
[b]Neck dimensions[/b] - slim, defo more akin to a J or early Warwick. If you like a big clubby neck this is no good.

Thanks for the kind words people.

Sorry I should have mentioned in the thread that the nut width is 40mm or 1 + 9/16ths in old measures!

Nice and slim but rock solid stable (thats carbon for you). I should add that the carbon neck feels no different under the hand than any other finished neck.

I looked at the pic of this bass for a while and dispite it being both beautifully and tastefully made something just puzzled me , I don't want to say "it didn't look right" because it so so does.... But it just looked different. A way I couldn't put my finger on......
the penny dropped when I read the discription and the pick up situation ! Hahaha I scrolled back up the screen on my iPad to look at the pic again..... No pick ups ! Hahahah

Glwts

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1459424756' post='3016382']
You know that's an interesting point! I've swapped 'normal' strings on the bass and I can't for the life of me think that I've ever made note of differences in tone. I suppose in theory the sensor tracks the string movement and each type of string will have it's own inherent qualities so they will sound different but I would likewise think that old strings shouldn't sound different to new strings... if a buyer wants to play, I've a few sets of used but as new strings (inc flats), which you can experiment with. :)
[/quote]

Out of my league, but I'm curious (and free bump!) - do rounds sound different to flats? I can see that they might, because the optical sensor might be sensitive enough to tell the difference.

Edited by alyctes

Yes the difference in gauge, material, construction and even how old strings are makes a difference as they would on a standard bass BUT age of strings seems to have far less impact than on a mag pup bass.

I had a good friend around yesterday who is an excellent bassist and 'as you do' he was playing with my various Warwicks and discussing the differences (with particular reference to a Spector Euro comparison). I gave him the Zon to try just before he left... we were there another 20 mins just discussing the quality of tone of the Zon with comparisons to various basses such as piezo loaded Stingrays, Vigier etc. He was blown away with how natural a tone it has, it isn't alien sounding it is NOT a digitised/synth sound; it sounds like a top quality 'normal' bass but with other qualities. A further observation was that the carbon neck patently assists with the sustain and harmonics but it has an authority and depth of tone that some carbon basses don't have.

I'm aware that folks might wonder why I'm selling it if it is such a superb instrument, understandable. I'm lucky enough to own a selection of great basses and I just have a 'preference' for my Warwick Streamers (particularly my 5th Anniversary bass) but that doesn't stop me wanting to try other flavours to see if I can find something I prefer more! .

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1459844573' post='3020100']

I had a good friend around yesterday who is an excellent bassist and 'as you do' he was playing with my various Warwicks and discussing the differences (with particular reference to a Spector Euro comparison). I gave him the Zon to try just before he left... we were there another 20 mins just discussing the quality of tone of the Zon with comparisons to various basses such as piezo loaded Stingrays, Vigier etc. He was blown away with how natural a tone it has .
[/quote]

I'm not sure who this bloke was ;) but I was there too and I have to say any preconceptions I had about tone were blown away. It goes without saying that a Zon has impeccable build quality etc but this bass sounds so natural and 'normal' I was stunned. It's tone is similar to graphite necked active basses I've tried or owned, a massive tonal range with a very tight and detailed punchy tone. Amazing bass.

Edited by cd_david

Very unlikely you'd find a Zon Sonus clip anywhere. However, there are clips of the Lightwave system with the Bass Whisperer, Ed Friedland. Bear in mind that the Lightwave basses aren't a patch on the Zon and the graphite neck adds to the tone whereas iirc the Lightwave basses he reviews are wooden necks.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1461520844' post='3035367']
Nope never tried a zon always out of my price range, bet it sounds great
[/quote]

You keep buying these 'bitsas' and cheaper basses (other than the £800-£1000 you've had lately), you need to try and then buy this. ;)