Why become a member? ×

Best Octave Bass Fuzz?

Sibob

Am interested to know what people think are the best analogue Octave (up) Bass Fuzz?

I'm thinking of replacing my POG + Distortion setup for high octave distortion with a single pedal analogue solution.

Cheers
Si

Not sure they would be able to replace a POG, most octave up fuzzes just have a hint of octave up rather than being able to replicate a guitar sound if you're going for the Royal Blood thing.

For instance I think the Diabolik and B:Assmaster a referred to as octave up fuzzes but you might not think it when hearing them.

AndyBassist is a fan of the Red Witch Zeus by all accounts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO0OD7XpQAU

Cheers, it's actually a more subtle sound that I'm after, I've found that the POG into overdrive is a little too 'Royal Blood', so figure I can get something that's more subtle and in one pedal.
That said, I already have a COG T-16 on that board, and run overdrive as my main sound, so I could just play an octave higher and use the T-16.....maybe. Different sound though.

Basically I think I want a Fuzz pedal that has a blend and the fuzz side has an analogue Octave up

Si

I think the Octron has the best dirty analogue octave up. A proper jack White squeal to it.
Ultimately I use a T65 because the bass goes louder than the octron and is more flexible.
One thing I've yet to try is putting the earthquaker tentacle in the clean loop of the T65.
Overdriven sound into T65 with its octave up plus the tentacle and a bit of octave down can't go wrong.

Tom would probably tweak one if needed. He sent me some different caps to put in mine to make the octave up less filtered, more noisey.

I think I would like a Fuzz with octave up, as opposed to just the dirtiness caused by the analogue up.
Will look into the You're Doom & the Hoof Reaper, although the HR is a little large.
Will explore the MXR Sub-Machine a little further too.

Cheers
Si

I was really unimpressed with the You're Doom, it does sound good as a base for being fed into a low pass filter for synth stuff though.

You should look into the Wounded Paw Battering Ram and Attack Goat:

http://www.woundedpaw.com/fx/

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1459451025' post='3016810']
I think I would like a Fuzz with octave up, as opposed to just the dirtiness caused by the analogue up.
Will look into the You're Doom & the Hoof Reaper, although the HR is a little large.
Will explore the MXR Sub-Machine a little further too.

Cheers
Si
[/quote]

If you dnt need the sub look at the la machine aswell same thing with out the sub circuit

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1459487088' post='3016991']
If you dnt need the sub look at the la machine aswell same thing with out the sub circuit
[/quote]

Ah ok, interesting, will take a look :)
Cheers
Si

[quote name='BigBassBob' timestamp='1459503316' post='3017121']
The octave-up sound of the You're Doom only comes in once you start playing past the 12th fret and roll back your tone. It's not an octave fuzz but it hints at it sometimes.
[/quote]

Yes, some Fuzz pedals can be like that, based on what component values are used, it seems that this is what the Attack Goat does.
Whilst I am looking for something a little more subtle than POG into distortion, probably less subtle than just a Fuzz by-product.

Si