Why become a member? ×

Yes

stewblack

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='291307' date='Sep 24 2008, 10:11 PM']It makes me well up everytime I hear the end section, after `farewell, farewell' where it builds and builds! I think the system at our crem is one of those old `falcon' cassette players with some wuff series speakers which of course, would be floored by Awaken! I know its a morbid subject to a lot of people but I actually `died' aged 16 - I have a serious nut allergy and during a very severe allergic reaction, I recall floating off somewhere - it felt amazing on the way there - but I came back very suddenly when the doctor pumped me with the syringe - what a bastard, I was enjoying the ride off the planet! Don't want to go just yet (more basses to buy!!) but its not the end, as far as I can tell![/quote]

I start to go at "Master of Images"....by the time Rick & the choir really kick in I'm usually in floods.

That's an amazing story, and not morbid at all. Having been a hospital porter for 2+ years a while back I have put many a person in the fridge come the end and I have to say that it gave me great faith in something else, as it truly is like the thing that made the person who they were has left the physical shell behind.

Yeah, more basses to buy, but unfortunately even more to sell before I can even begin to think of doing that. Blast!

[quote name='4000' post='291149' date='Sep 24 2008, 06:51 PM']Bilbo's bang on about Jon's "impressionistic" lyrics, which are actually some of my favourites for that very reason. That's [i]art[/i], chaps. :) Even my mate (who doesn't really like Yes) agrees.[/quote]
It isn't as if Anderson was alone in that - Bolan and Bowie wrote stuff that was almost as nonsensical. In fact, most song lyrics are pretty incomprehensible, or have some hidden meaning (apparently Radar Love is all about some dead bird, and for twenty-odd years I've thought it was about longing to get home to his missus) and the only straightforward writers I can think of off the top of my head who write straightforward unembellished non-allegorical stories set to music are Jim Steinman and me.

[quote name='tauzero' post='291399' date='Sep 25 2008, 12:54 AM']It isn't as if Anderson was alone in that - Bolan and Bowie wrote stuff that was almost as nonsensical. In fact, most song lyrics are pretty incomprehensible, or have some hidden meaning (apparently Radar Love is all about some dead bird, and for twenty-odd years I've thought it was about longing to get home to his missus) and the only straightforward writers I can think of off the top of my head who write straightforward unembellished non-allegorical stories set to music are Jim Steinman and me.[/quote]

Bowie went through a phase of feeding his lyrics into a computer which randomised everything. Can't get much less narrative-based than that.

I used to be in a band with Ian Wright (no, not that Ian Wright). We once got a refusal letter from a record company saying "no Arsenal players allowed". :)

Edited by 4000

[quote name='OldGit' post='291564' date='Sep 25 2008, 10:27 AM']Kenny still plays pub gigs and occasionally pops into the jam session I go to ..[/quote]

Thanks Old git
I'm not sure why I picked the name Lonestar when I joined Basschat ages ago when it was called something else. I have a Lonestar St**tocaster??
I'm beginning to think it's a bit sad really. I might have to change it to something sensible like my real name: Mike. You already have beaten me to the most appropriate name I could use!

Edited by lonestar

[quote name='lonestar' post='291676' date='Sep 25 2008, 12:07 PM']Thanks Old git
I'm not sure why I picked the name Lonestar when I joined Basschat ages ago when it was called something else. I have a Lonestar St**tocaster??
I'm beginning to think it's a bit sad really. I might have to change it to something sensible like my real name: Mike. You already have beaten me to the most appropriate name I could use![/quote]

Ha ha feel free to have old-git .. we can confuse them all :)