Why become a member? ×

Hartke LH1000

SisterAbdullahX

Here's my review, please bear in mind I only play reggae, I am very fussy about tone and this is only my opinion -

It's [u]very[/u] loud, basically 2 x 500 watt amps that can be bridged to 750 watts @ 8 ohms or 1100 @ 4 ohms.
That's a lot of power and if you don't need it, the LH 500 will still have plenty of oomph with 350 watts @ 8 ohms.

Build quality seems good, everything works as expected, it is very heavy compared to a lot of new amps.

The sound is very rich and full bodied with a valvey growl, but clear and modern with no distortion.
It is surprisingly hi fi sounding to my ears with plenty of tone from deep bass to high treble if required.
There is no need to touch the eq for a sound which I imagine would suit many players with varied styles.
I have only used it at home, but get the feeling it would really cut through on stage with a strong presence - the sort of amp you could fall in love with.

Having said all that, I have returned it to the shop, who kindly let me have it on 7 day approval.
While I'm sure it would suit many players, it didn't have 'my' sound which is super smooth, deep, warm and soft just like me.

I really wanted to love the LH1000 and in a way I do, it's just got too much tone for me - ah well........

[quote name='redstriper' post='293257' date='Sep 27 2008, 02:08 AM']Here's my review, please bear in mind I only play reggae, I am very fussy about tone and this is only my opinion -

It's [u]very[/u] loud, basically 2 x 500 watt amps that can be bridged to 750 watts @ 8 ohms or 1100 @ 4 ohms.
That's a lot of power and if you don't need it, the LH 500 will still have plenty of oomph with 350 watts @ 8 ohms.

Build quality seems good, everything works as expected, it is very heavy compared to a lot of new amps.

The sound is very rich and full bodied with a valvey growl, but clear and modern with no distortion.
It is surprisingly hi fi sounding to my ears with plenty of tone from deep bass to high treble if required.
There is no need to touch the eq for a sound which I imagine would suit many players with varied styles.
I have only used it at home, but get the feeling it would really cut through on stage with a strong presence - the sort of amp you could fall in love with.

Having said all that, I have returned it to the shop, who kindly let me have it on 7 day approval.
While I'm sure it would suit many players, it didn't have 'my' sound which is super smooth, deep, warm and soft just like me.

I really wanted to love the LH1000 and in a way I do, it's just got too much tone for me - ah well........[/quote]

Just to help inform the masses... what bass and cabs did you use it with?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='293304' date='Sep 27 2008, 09:30 AM']Just to help inform the masses... what bass and cabs did you use it with?[/quote]

For the masses only -

I used a 1960s Fender fretted jazz bass with flatwound strings and a new Ashbory fretless active bass with silicone rubber strings.

I used 2 cabs both separately and together - an old Trace Elliot combo cab containing an Eminence 3015LF 15" driver and a Bergantino HTII5 with 15" driver.

I'm sure most people would prefer the sound of the berg which accented the full rich tone of the amp with a strong throaty boing.
I prefered the Trace for it's softer, warmer tone and both together was killa with the very useful feature of being able to adjust the amount of power going to each speaker separately.
I don't think many amps let you do that, but because this is really 2 amps in 1 box it means you are not playing pot luck when combining different cabs with unmatched efficiencies.

But like I said I'm far from typical in my taste for bass tone and I would not hesitate in recommending this amp for the majority of players in any style.

[quote name='redstriper' post='293620' date='Sep 27 2008, 09:36 PM']I tried it with every possible eq setting and found my favourite sound with bass - 7, mid - 3, treble - 2.[/quote]

I'd have thought for your sound you'd have wanted 10,0,0! :) Have you tried getting your sound on the bass by using a much bigger capacitor on the passive tone knob?

I tried an LH500 yesterday at the Bash and was very impressed - fantastic tone for the money and plenty loud. Love the super simple control layout too.

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='alexclaber' post='294060' date='Sep 28 2008, 06:32 PM']I'd have thought for your sound you'd have wanted 10,0,0! :) Have you tried getting your sound on the bass by using a much bigger capacitor on the passive tone knob?

I tried an LH500 yesterday at the Bash and was very impressed - fantastic tone for the money and plenty loud. Love the super simple control layout too.

Alex[/quote]

I did use it with the setting you suggested and it was a wicked sound, but there's juice too much growl and richness for me.
It's hard to describe the tone I want, I think it's one without richness of overtones or harmonics - quite a flat boring sound to most ears - think of mains hum!

The sound from the bass is fine when I play it through the Trace or a studio desk and monitors.
The Hartke seems to add a juicy fatness which is not for me, although I was certainly very impressed and would recommend it to any 'normal' player.

Sorry to sound so vague - tone is such a subjective thing.

think i should be orderin mine or goin up to manc PMT sumtime this weekend and hopfully pickin one up jus need money for a cab too lol they sound swoooooooooo good on these cabs [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tBpc6iSynkI"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tBpc6iSynkI[/url] [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mjd1hLFzmYQ&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mjd1hLFzmYQ&...feature=related[/url]