Why become a member? ×

Copies

neilp

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1456988110' post='2994189']
Wow, so did BC get threatened or have an injunction slapped on for passing on and/or trading/abetting the trade of counterfeit goods?
[/quote]

IIRC there used to be a pinned thread about it in "Off-Topic".

The general gist of the matter was that RIC were unhappy about Basschat being used to advertise Rickenbacker copies for sale either in the sales forums or by providing links to instruments for sale elsewhere on the internet. Despite the fact that their claims probably have little legal standing in the UK, Baschat relies on plenty of 3rd party suppliers from other countries including the US for its functionality, and RIC could make life very difficult for the forum if it really wanted to.

The outcome was that all sales and mentions of sales elsewhere of Rickenbacker shaped instruments - real or copies - has been banned on Basschat, as it is the simplest way of ensuring that the forum does not upset RIC. Anything else was deemed to complicated and time-consuming to police by the Basschat moderators.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1457010742' post='2994428']
What about the basses Leo designed at G&L. Is their version of a J and P a copy as it was himself who designed it in the first place?
[/quote] improvement?

I've always wanted a 5 string Jazz, but I never found a Fender that did it for me. The Sandberg is the first Jazz 5 that I've really liked, I don't mind that it's a copy it does what I want it to do.

Is a 5 string jazz even a copy of a Fender Jazz, the original only had 4 strings........

I have two Precision bases and one Jazz bass. All are genuine Fenders, but each was made in a different country. One Precision was made in the USA, one was made in Japan, and the Jazz was made in Mexico. All are recognised as Fender products. I also have a Squier Precision Bass copy. Incidentally, the made in the US Precision is the best of my little collection.