Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tone Hammer - Anyone have one yet?

Sean

There's no harm in using preamp pedals with active basses.

Also, this box is supposed to replicate the tone of the AG500 (one of my favourite amps) - if it does indeed do that I can see why it's so popular.

There's loads of gear that various players think is "the best" by a bunch of different manufacturers. It'd be boring if we were all the same.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='306186' date='Oct 14 2008, 01:18 PM']Open your eyes dude. It's there to be seen![/quote]

I can see the word "hype" in the thread title, but apart from that this is the only thread i've seen about it, and there's been no hype in this thread. Obviously i'm being stupid?

[quote name='Finbar' post='306327' date='Oct 14 2008, 03:48 PM']Intelligent post ++

Does anybody else find it annoying, on a completely different note, how many turns of the string there are on that tuning peg in the Bass Day advert at the top of the page?[/quote]

haha completely OT, but yea i found that really annoying. considering that's the incorrect way to do it, you'd think the organizers of "bass day" would know what they were doing ffs!

[quote name='Finbar' post='306392' date='Oct 14 2008, 04:45 PM']There's been one other thread about the Tonehammer in this forum I think. Didn't reach a massive size.

Now Talkbass on the other hand.[/quote]

Loads of chat on talkbass about the Tonehammer. I tried an AG500 a while back and it sounded great - once I knew the TH was the preamp part of that then it became a logical choice for a good DI/Pre-amp especially since I never got on with my SansAmp and didn't like the (overcomplicated for me) MBII. Sadowsky DIs are pretty good but not me. Anyway, sodding thing still hasn't arrived for one reason or another and not entirely anyone's fault but I'm told it's arriving tomorrow. I have the poor lad that has lessons with me coming round within minutes of me getting in from work and then I'm out afterwards so it'll be Friday before I have the chance to have a play with it (ooh err missus!).

Well I've just ordered one from the bassmerchant, dunno when I'll get it if they're not in stock but I'm in no great rush to get it so I'll post my views once I've given it a bash, like Sean I've had the chance to give an Aguilar AG500 a go hopefully this will sort out my love/hate afair with my bass tone :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='308256' date='Oct 16 2008, 11:15 PM']I've been informed that the next batch of Tonehammers are due for arrival with the bass merchant on the 1st November.[/quote]

Yeh I was speaking to Darren via Pm about it last night roll on November :)

Edited by mr pablo

I was out at Tesco at 1am today getting batteries for the Tone Hammer which arrived yesterday. I managed to get it plugged in and have a play before I was too sparked out to care. It's extremely well made, has a superb quality feel, it's a great colour and is easy to use. I sounds exactly as I wanted it to and has a great range of sounds. I'll try and record some clips this evening, maybe some dry and some wet.

I'm planning on using it as my main grit unit to replace my Cream Pie (which sounds too much like my amp already does without it), so I'd be interested to see what you reckons about it in that kind of context.

I also need a good power solution for it. I'm not going to use batteries, and I can't seem to get my hands on an 18v converter. I think I may turn to the comparatively expensive 'virtual batteries' for it.

[quote name='Finbar' post='308788' date='Oct 17 2008, 05:40 PM']I'm planning on using it as my main grit unit to replace my Cream Pie (which sounds too much like my amp already does without it), so I'd be interested to see what you reckons about it in that kind of context.

I also need a good power solution for it. I'm not going to use batteries, and I can't seem to get my hands on an 18v converter. I think I may turn to the comparatively expensive 'virtual batteries' for it.[/quote]
[url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/18v-dc-regulated-power-supply-7-p.asp"]http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/18v-dc-...-supply-7-p.asp[/url]

no good??

I already have my main daisychain, a 12v for my wireless and the AC supply for my Whammy on my board. I don't really want another PSU.

Which reminds me - are there any power supplies that will work with the Whammy that just go from plug to pedal (like a 1spot?), without a massive bit in the middle. My Whammy's power supply takes up a space the size of another pedal, and I could do with utilising it!

If I could power everything from one small PSU I would, but alas... Make the best of a bad situation :)

Something like [url="http://www.diago.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,30/category_id,3/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,206/"]this[/url] or you could use something like [url="http://www.diago.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,39/category_id,3/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,206/"]this[/url]

Edited by bass_ferret

[quote name='Finbar' post='309108' date='Oct 18 2008, 10:57 AM']The 18v adapter has been out of stock for a long time, but yeh, can you use two battery clip adapters and just plug them to the two battery caps inside the pedal? That'd provide 9v to each one, just like two 9v batteries would I guess.[/quote]

that's not actually going to work, sorry :/

the blue box shows your power supply (i'm assuming here that you'd be daisy chaining them), the yellow is the pedal....as you can see, when you try to connect the two +9v and ground connections in series inside the pedal to make 18v, all you end up doing is shorting the supply (red line) :)

Oh boo.

So what's the most practical way of doing it then? I'm going to assume that I won't be able to get my hands on one of the Diago adapters anytime soon.

[quote name='escholl' post='309707' date='Oct 19 2008, 10:46 AM']that's not actually going to work, sorry :/

the blue box shows your power supply (i'm assuming here that you'd be daisy chaining them), the yellow is the pedal....as you can see, when you try to connect the two +9v and ground connections in series inside the pedal to make 18v, all you end up doing is shorting the supply (red line) :)[/quote]