Why become a member? ×

Essential gig tool\spares/emergency kit?

The Admiral

I have a make up bag which contains tuner, earplugs, screwdriver, batteries, small digital recorder, allen keys, spray on liquid plasters, a large marker pen and picks (even though I don't use them)!
For rehearsals I also have water and an air freshener spray. Essential to mask the smell of rock n roll. :-)

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1454256157' post='2967888']
What the hell do you guys DO at gigs? 30 years of playing, never needed a tool at a gig. I have spare leads, a pair of 9V batteries and a roll of gaffer tape. Honestly never even needed the batteries
[/quote]
Its there if you do need it though. Sax player broke something on their sax and used my torch to help her see what she was doing. Guitarist is always using my string cutters. I broke a string once in 30 years of gigging too and managed to change it really quickly cos of cutters and winder etc. If you use all this stuff to maintain basses at home why not put it in your gig bag and bring it along? Forgot to mention the Sadowsky pre-amp which can be used as a DI if needed. Oh and plectrums though i don't use them. Fast fret too (for the smell).

In most of the bands I've played with, the guitar players have endless tools (or maybe they are tools.....), but yes, I do use all those things to maintain basses at home, that's why I don't need to take them to gigs! I have to say though, in the days when I toured, I did take screwdrivers, Allen keys, soldering iron, files etc