Why become a member? ×

Bass playing is good for you

FinnDave

I had one of my regular visits from my physiotherapist today (it's a long story involving me on my Harley and a car looking the wrong way at a roundabout) who is helping me to recover from the multiple fractures in my right wrist (the all important 'rhythym fingers') and I asked her if I was able to resume playing bass, as I haven't opened a case since a couple of weeks before my accident nearly 2 months ago.

'Of course' she replied, and pulled out my sunburst P bass, which I had a quick twang on acoustically while she watched. 'Good exercise for the wrist and fingers" she told me and advised me to make it a part of my daily excerise routine.

If only I had some pedals to exercise my broken foot!

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1453920480' post='2964284']
It would seem like you are well on the road to recovery, but I'd be careful about overdoing the playing.

Hope you are back rockin' full time soon. :)
[/quote]

Thanks, I stop when it gets painful...today that was two songs. The next gig I'm scheduled to play is March 12th, so plenty of time to get the fingers fit.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1453921556' post='2964303']
Thanks, I stop when it gets painful...today that was two songs. The next gig I'm scheduled to play is March 12th, so plenty of time to get the fingers fit.
[/quote]

Yeah, build up to normal playing [i]very[/i] gradually, otherwise you run the risk of going back to square one. Time is on your side, considering the date of your upcoming gig.

Yeah bass playing is good for the left hand, finger and wrist in general (if not overdone). Doing a little bit of stretching is a good idea too.

It's also good for the mind, especially if you learn a new song at least once a fortnight.

And as we all know it's good for the soul.

[quote name='Heathy' timestamp='1453923637' post='2964330']
Good to hear that you're on the mend. But what about the Harley...?
[/quote]

Still trying to find out how buggered it is, I was unconcious when it was taken away and have no memory at all of the following two weeks. It'll be rebuilt if the frame is oK.

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1453932999' post='2964492']
That sounds like it must have been a very serious accident. All the best with your recovery.
[/quote]

Thanks, the surgeon said he hadn't a foot injury quite like mine before, and the other surgeon saw my hand as the real challenge, but assured me I would be able to gig on March 12th. So far, so good.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1453984703' post='2964903']
Good luck Dave ;)
[/quote]

Cheers, Not played today as wrist and fingers were very stiff after yesterday (whole session of physio, not just the bass playing!)