Why become a member? ×

What Will Take The Place Of Gigging?

blue

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1454436053' post='2969749']

. . . and accepting a knighthood even though you're a rebellious Rolling Stone ...

[/quote]

Keef had plenty to say about that in this autobiog. I certainly respect him more for turning one down. Still, there's no real reason why those who make such great music shouldn't also be complete @rsoles like Jagger. Most people never get to meet their musical heroes and frequently confuse liking their music with liking them as people when they don't have a clue what they're really like as a person.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1454438762' post='2969779']
Keef had plenty to say about that in this autobiog. I certainly respect him more for turning one down. Still, there's no real reason why those who make such great music shouldn't also be complete @rsoles like Jagger. Most people never get to meet their musical heroes and frequently confuse liking their music with liking them as people when they don't have a clue what they're really like as a person.
[/quote]

Well, you can't always get what you want can you?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1454364111' post='2969090']

Question, do English people have any appreciation for any of your legendary bands that in terms of pop music put England on the map?

[/quote]

I couldn't answer that , I'm from Jersey . We put the English on our map in 1066 , but I wouldn't be so bold as to speak for them .

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1454432648' post='2969701']

You're making quite a broad assumption about why someone wouldn't like The Stones. I've heard more of their tunes than Satisfaction and I've never understood their appeal either. I like Under My Thumb and that's about it.

Of course. Just not that interested in white blues bands. Cream were interesting though.
[/quote]

That's why I prefaced my opinion with "most".

Not interested in white blues, that's fine. However Buddy Guy told me any body that's lived can play blues and there's no black or white blues, just blues.I'm not sure I agree with Buddy.

My question was based on appreciation not necessarily interest.

Blue

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1454398390' post='2969250']
wearing trousers that irritate us. It's one of the miracles of human civilisation that even though you would think that there were only limited variations possible in trouser design, each subsequent generation nevertheless invents a type of trouser that the previous generation finds irritating.
[/quote]

I think you're underestimating the importance of trousers in rock n roll history https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB0MxBMMKHM

Do you have any grandchildren? I have two daughters and as much as I love playing live music, a trip to the play parkland an ice-cream ain't bad either

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453856462' post='2963594']

Not for some of us 4 Sting. Rock & Roll ,playing bass and gigging is it for me.I have zero interest in anything else.

I've always been this way.

Blue
[/quote]

... Rock & Roll ,playing bass and gigging is it for me.I have zero interest in anything else.

Blue
[/quote]

Rudyard Kipling said: 'What do they know of England who only England know?'

C.L.R. James said: 'What do they know of cricket who only cricket know?'

I say: 'What do they know of rock 'n' roll who only rock 'n' roll know?'

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453931388' post='2964468']
My Mom passed at 84 years of age. She knew more about Rock and Roll than me. She never got old.

Old is a state of mind. I would bet there are 30 something's here older than me by my definition.

Blue
[/quote]
[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453930732' post='2964454']
Guys, I'm not old, I'm merely older. I'll never be old.

Blue
[/quote]
Not for some of us 4 Sting. Rock & Roll ,playing bass and gigging is it for me.I have zero interest in anything else.

Blue
[/quote]

The way you describe this is almost the definition of old , to me keeping young is all about an open mind, a willingness to do different things , enjoy a load of challenging experiences, jump out of your comfort zone , feel alive doing something else once in a while , you might even surprise yourself :D

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1454620468' post='2971488']

The way you describe this is almost the definition of old , to me keeping young is all about an open mind, a willingness to do different things , enjoy a load of challenging experiences, jump out of your comfort zone , feel alive doing something else once in a while , you might even surprise yourself :D
[/quote]

Well, if I expand it would still be gigging. I. really want to get away from primarily bar gigs. Don't get me wrong some of the bars and clubs are cool and I get my share of higher profile fest and fair gigs.However I really would love to headline regionally or nationally to 500 seat venues.

Blue