Why become a member? ×

What Will Take The Place Of Gigging?

blue

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1453905135' post='2964044']

Yes to the above - one of my wife's best friends son is a young (21) hip hop artist who is often now on Radio 1. He also gigs a lot, and his current mini tour has sold out in some places. His gigging future seems quite bright!
[/quote]

I'm not going to seek the advice of a 21 year old on the future of rock and roll being played live in clubs.

I'm not sure rock and roll is even relevant to most 21 year olds.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453928116' post='2964408']
I'm not going to seek the advice of a 21 year old on the future of rock and roll being played live in clubs.

Blue
[/quote]

And there lies the problem. Today's 21 year olds will soon be tomorrow's middle aged and older, and as most musical tastes are formed when teenagers, rock wil have had its day. Thankfully, so will I, as it's not a world I want any art of.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1453896974' post='2963910']

Here, here.

In the blues band I play in I'm the baby at 55yrs old. The drummer is 71 (and bloody good) and the two guitarists are in their mid 60s. We all love playing and rarely get less than 3 or 4 encores.

The originals band I play is busy becoming a power trio after our singer left. We fully intend to be out there as soon as we have the material sorted.
[/quote]

Cool story, My band is a 70s style hard rock and blues band. We have been together for 10 years and play around 75 shows annually.

We still attract and have a loyal following of the 60+ demographic.

When the 20 somethings wonder into one of our shows they leave immediately. That's fine, we're lucky, we don't need their business.

So the point is, those of us still playing
Rock and roll have to work hard on marketing to that 60+ market. A lot of us are still in great shape,we look great and were not settling for that rocking chair yet.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1453903253' post='2964010']

They're likely doing their own stuff at the venues that allow them. I remember when I was in my 20s and I hated cover bands that played music I saw as "old people music". The cycle continues.
[/quote]

Agreed

Blue

[/quote]

Blue, if you'd been in charge in the late 1950s and had the same attitude to 21 year olds as you do now, then Rock and Roll would never have got started. We'd still be listening to Perry Como.

[/quote]

Lots of young people are into rock, classic and otherwise. Maybe it's different in your world but that's how it is in the UK.

However, the thing is, young people are not only into rock they are into all sorts of music. They are, in my experience, very open-minded about music.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1453903426' post='2964015']
As to the gigging question. I think I've been a composer first and a player second pretty much always. For me the instrument was a way to get the ideas in my head out. I don't NEED gigging for that, I just need a way to record it.

Whether anyone else hears me play is completely not a factor in whether I'll play bass/guitar/doublebass/whatever in the future. I'll play because I can't imagine not doing.
[/quote]

So, you've never asked anyone to listen to one of your recorded songs?

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453928702' post='2964416']

When the 20 somethings wonder into one of our shows they leave immediately.

[/quote]

It sounds to me that they leave 'cos you are a bunch of old gits. They are looking for young people to shag later on. It's not the music, it's you.

That's fine, we're lucky, we don't need their business.

[/quote]

So why do you keep moaning about them leaving?

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1453903472' post='2964016']
What's all this? Ah, just another 'ageing troll shakes fist at modern world' thread. Move on, nothing to see here.
[/quote]

Not at all, I've always embraced the modern world.

And on The gigging front, I'm one of the lucky ones. My band has plenty of business.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1453929427' post='2964427']

It sounds to me that they leave 'cos you are a bunch of old gits. They are looking for young people to shag later on. It's not the music, it's you.

So why do you keep moaning about them leaving?
[/quote]

I'm not moaning about it. Merely stating a fact.

By the way our band leader, lead guitar and front person is 29 year old female.

Also no one in our band is old.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453929715' post='2964432']
I'm not moaning about it. Merely stating a fact.

By the way our band leader, lead guitar and front person is 29 year old female.

Also no one in our band is old.

Blue
[/quote]
She's a 20 something who likes rock? Shocking.

You'll be old in someone's eyes. I certainly am.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1453904196' post='2964028']

That's not really fair. Blue has his share of being an old curmudgeon but not with this one. He has clearly set this out as a response to many threads that have bemoaned the demise of the gig circuit, and asked some very straight, pertinent questions, which have had some great replies.
[/quote]

Guys, I'm not old, I'm merely older. I'll never be old.

Blue

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1453905135' post='2964044']

Yes to the above - one of my wife's best friends son is a young (21) hip hop artist who is often now on Radio 1. He also gigs a lot, and his current mini tour has sold out in some places. His gigging future seems quite bright!
[/quote]

So, your saying the future of bar rock and roll is hip hop? It might be, I don't know.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453930732' post='2964454']
Guys, I'm not old, I'm merely older. I'll never be old.

Blue
[/quote]

I like that :)

I play in a few jazz bands. The guys in the one are aged between 74 and 84. The 84 year old is an amazing jazz guitarist, his stamina is something to behold.

I'm the youngest by 37 years.

Proves you're never too old.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1453883867' post='2963672']

Don't fall into the trap that Basschat is representative of most gigging musicians in the UK.

There are still plenty of opportunities for playing live, just not as many as there were a few years ago. The main factor for this is the number of venues / pubs that are struggling to keep going for a number of reasons. But there is still an audience out there for a decent band!
[/quote]

A decent rock and roll band?

Blue

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1453930703' post='2964452']
Yes, I did. Saying "I'm not trolling" is no guarantee that you are not trolling. And this is still looking like a troll thread to me.
[/quote]

Nah, the Blue that we know here on Basschat is no troll.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1453931063' post='2964463']

Nah, the Blue that we know here on Basschat is no troll.
[/quote]

Depends on how you define trolling. I might post something specifically to get a reaction or response. But not to start a war or put someone down.

Blue

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1453931000' post='2964461']

I like that :)

I play in a few jazz bands. The guys in the one are aged between 74 and 84. The 84 year old is an amazing jazz guitarist, his stamina is something to behold.

I'm the youngest by 37 years.

Proves you're never too old.
[/quote]

My Mom passed at 84 years of age. She knew more about Rock and Roll than me. She never got old.

Old is a state of mind. I would bet there are 30 something's here older than me by my definition.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1453886948' post='2963704']

I mean writing & recording projects, which is what has always been my main interest. I never liked gigging, even when I was doing a lot of it. I have no desire to be an entertainer, I just want to be involved making music that I like. I've worked on studio projects for songwriters that I've really enjoyed, but have turned down the offer of playing the same music live with those songwriters after the recording has been completed.
I'm about to get involved in the music for a film that is being made locally. I won't make any money from it & I doubt if many people will even see the film when it's finished, but I'm far more excited about doing it than I ever was about playing live.
[/quote]

Totally get that. Gigging is not for everyone.

Neither is writing and recording.

Blue

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1453930703' post='2964452']
Yes, I did. Saying "I'm not trolling" is no guarantee that you are not trolling. And this is still looking like a troll thread to me.
[/quote]
To be frank, it seems more like that you are trolling someone by repeatedly accusing them of trolling! I don't think that Blue is right on this subject but it is a legitimate topic for discussion...

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1453929266' post='2964425']
Blue, if you'd been in charge in the late 1950s and had the same attitude to 21 year olds as you do now, then Rock and Roll would never have got started. We'd still be listening to Perry Como.

Lots of young people are into rock, classic and otherwise. Maybe it's different in your world but that's how it is in the UK.

However, the thing is, young people are not only into rock they are into all sorts of music. They are, in my experience, very open-minded about music.
[/quote]
I agree. There are plenty of kids into rock music but it just doesn't have the stranglehold of popular (youth) culture that it did when I was a teenager. Many will go and see a classic rock band in a pub one weekend then go to a dance club the next!

Of course, you are also right that music does move on and we can't expect the music of our youth to be preserved in aspic. The classic rock of 20 years time in the future will doubtless be different to what it is now...

Cool story, My band is a 70s style hard rock and blues band. We have been together for 10 years and play around 75 shows annually.

When the 20 somethings wonder into one of our shows they leave immediately. That's fine, we're lucky, we don't need their business.

So the point is, those of us still playing
Rock and roll have to work hard on marketing to that 60+ market. A lot of us are still in great shape,we look great and were not settling for that rocking chair yet.

Blue
[/quote]
There has always been kids who are not interested in seeing live music. In my youth they would have headed for the nearest disco!

You are right that there is a new 60+ market for live music. The rock and roll generation(s) have grown up but they have no intention of growing old...