Why become a member? ×

What Will Take The Place Of Gigging?

blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1453932803' post='2964490']

... rock music ... just doesn't have the stranglehold of popular (youth) culture that it did when I was a teenager ...

[/quote]

I understand what you're saying there and I don't of course dispute if it was like that for you but I have to say I never when I was a teenager/twenties in the 60s and 70s did it feel like only rock mattered. Rock was one thing but I was always also into blues, country, soul, ska, reggae, folk, jazz, ... just music really.

And there was always plenty of rock I really did not like and still don't.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453930732' post='2964454']
Guys, I'm not old, I'm merely older. I'll never be old.

Blue
[/quote]

I love the fact that you don't mind being a curmudgeon though :unsure:

Don't worry Blue, I've now reached the stage where I follow the mantra "You have to grow old, but you don't have to grow up"

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1453932316' post='2964483']

To be frank, it seems more like that you are trolling someone by repeatedly accusing them of trolling! I don't think that Blue is right on this subject but it is a legitimate topic for discussion...
[/quote]

I don't think I have a concrete position,only that my rock and roll is not relevant to the younger generation.And that really doesn't mean much.

It was bound to happen sooner or later. Seems like it happened "sooner".

I was looking at some really old Deep Purple videos last night. I loved it,but it did look ancient.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1453937582' post='2964567']

I love the fact that you don't mind being a curmudgeon though :unsure:

Don't worry Blue, I've now reached the stage where I follow the mantra "You have to grow old, but you don't have to grow up"
[/quote]

Some of us grow older, like me. Some grow old (count me out on that).

Blue

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1453936276' post='2964539']

I understand what you're saying there and I don't of course dispute if it was like that for you but I have to say I never when I was a teenager/twenties in the 60s and 70s did it feel like only rock mattered. Rock was one thing but I was always also into blues, country, soul, ska, reggae, folk, jazz, ... just music really.

[/quote]

Blues and rock are so closely linked, to me those two are one in the same. When I hear blues I can hear rock, when I hear rock, I can hear blues.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1453936276' post='2964539']

[/quote]
When I was saying 'rock music' I was meaning in its most encompassing definition, including blues, soul, reggae, etc - album orientated popular music of the time really.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1453933092' post='2964494']

There has always been kids who are not interested in seeing live music. In my youth they would have headed for the nearest disco!

You are right that there is a new 60+ market for live music. The rock and roll generation(s) have grown up but they have no intention of growing old...[/quote]

Pete you nailed it. Look at all the money my generation Is spending on the Flower Power or Happy Together Caribbean cruises.

My friend Vance Brecia,guitarist ,backing vocals and musical director for Hermans Hermits told me those 60s oldy tours are making tons of cash.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453938354' post='2964576']

Blues and rock are so closely linked, to me those two are one in the same. When I hear blues I can hear rock, when I hear rock, I can hear blues.

Blue
[/quote]
As someone who plays the blues circuit in the UK, try telling that to some of the blues purists...!

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1453938737' post='2964581']

When I was saying 'rock music' I was meaning in its most encompassing definition, including blues, soul, reggae, etc - album orientated popular music of the time really.
[/quote]

Agreed

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453938777' post='2964583']

Pete you nailed it. Look at all the money my generation Is spending on the Flower Power or Happy Together Caribbean cruises.

My friend Vance Brecia,guitarist ,backing vocals and musical director for Hermans Hermits told me those 60s oldy tours are making tons of cash.

Blue
[/quote]
So are blues cruises and some of the classic rock holiday events.

For what me and my band are doing, I think I will make it to age 75, around the same time my demographic will no longer be able to get out to shows.

A little white haired guy, 71 in great shape approached me during a break and told me he went out and saw 56 local bar band shows last year.

God bless him.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1453938925' post='2964587']

So are blues cruises and some of the classic rock holiday events.
[/quote]

Yes, and I see that several bands are teaming up touring and sharing the billing this Sumner.

Joan Jett is going out supported by Cheap Trick & Heart.

Very cool

Blue

[/quote]

So, 'rock music' does not mean rock music at all then. That's totally confused and bizarre.

[/quote]

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453938864' post='2964586']
Agreed

Blue
[/quote]

That's nonsense.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1453933092' post='2964494']

There has always been kids who are not interested in seeing live music. In my youth they would have headed for the nearest disco!

You are right that there is a new 60+ market for live music. The rock and roll generation(s) have grown up but they have no intention of growing old...
[/quote]

True, I have a 56 year old brother who has no connection to rock music. He's never been to a concert and has no interest. Hard to believe with all the music that came out of my bedroom when we were teens.

Things had already changed, even the 56 years olds are too young to understand or to have participated in what happened in 1964.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1453939860' post='2964600']

So, 'rock music' does not mean rock music at all then. That's totally confused and bizarre.
[/quote]

Here's an example, reggae music didn't become popular with t he western kids until Bob Marley hired Al Anderson , American born blues rock guitarist. When Al played down blues riffs on top of reggae it worked like a charm.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453940748' post='2964611']
Here's an example, reggae music didn't become popular with t he western kids until Bob Marley hired Al Anderson , American born blues rock guitarist. When Al played down blues riffs on top of reggae it worked like a charm.

Blue
[/quote]

I doubt that's even true in the USA but for the UK it is total nonsense. And either way, reggae and other Jamaican genres are not 'rock'.

In the UK, of course, Jamaican migrants were busy listening to Jamaican music and at the same time became a source for some white people who were listening to Jamaican music from 1964/65 (blue beat and ska had a massive mod and skinhead following, Prince Buster and later Desmond Dekkar, Max Romeo etc. - where I came from you were nobody if you didn't have a nice collection of Trojan label singles and better still if you'd laid hands on some real Jamaican releases). Jamaican music is a very important part of 1960s UK youth culture and it is seen by many as in total opposition to rock. Skinhead versus hippy. When [i]007[/i] and [i]Whiter Shade of Pale [/i]were both in the charts few people were buying both. I remember buying [i]007[/i] and dancing around the living room with it on my Dansette while my mother is asking 'why didn't you buy that one with the nice tune?'.

Marley arrives on the scene at the end of that 1960s period specifically when the band was still called The Wailers and Peter Tosh and Bunny Livingston were involved. No Al Anderson. No 'Bob Marley and'.

Not rock - 1964:
[media]http://youtu.be/D3DAHAPLaVI[/media]

Not rock - 1967:
[media]http://youtu.be/zJL6D0Rph_I[/media]

Not rock - 1968:
[media]http://youtu.be/2Cgo2n3Xuvc[/media]

Not rock - 1968:
[media]http://youtu.be/0wH395THtXQ[/media]

Not rock - song written 1967, this recording 1973:
[media]http://youtu.be/JE3WaSETf8k[/media]

Still not rock - 1974:
[media]http://youtu.be/x2FKTSEW_9M[/media]

Edited by EssentialTension

Or even roots rock reggae .........

........ But imagine this conversation:

'Hello, what sort of music do you like?'

'I like rock.'

'So, you like reggae (and all the other genres) then because they are all rock, innit?'

'Er, no, I just like rock.' ... (or possibly 'Well I like some reggae too but mostly I like rock, as I said. Have you been smoking too much weed?')

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453852399' post='2963556']
I have been involved in many of the threads about gigging. Based on the comments and responses;

1. Many bass players don't gig.
2. Gigging is not as popular as it once was.
3. Many feel it's not worth it.
4. Good gigging opportunities are drying up, especially in the UK.
5. Playing bass has become a solo at home hobby for many.
6. Bass players are no longer will to put in the effort to gig.

So what's the future guys, should we all just stay home and noodle?

This thread is not posted to initiate a
" troll fest" just an exchange of opinion and thought.

Blue
[/quote]

I've been in and am in more than one band where some of the musicians are in their mid 70s. The only rule seems to be, don't do more than one gig a day - and the level of arrangement fog ones seems to increase at times!! One of them plays One Step Beyond and another plays I Feel Good and one or two other James Brown songs (songs of their youth!!)

You'll find particularly (but not exclusively) the older age group in the Shadows music scene - there are a surprising number of fans who also play - I had quite fun playing in a tribute band for a few years. I think this is often true of sixties era fans/musicians as well.

So I don't plan to have my feet up watching Strictly or the Voice every Saturday night any time soon, but I most certainly won't be helping to manhandle Hammond B3s and Leslie units (or refrigerators) up and down fire escape stairs either, as I did 30-40 yrs back!!

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453928702' post='2964416']
Cool story, My band is a 70s style hard rock and blues band. We have been together for 10 years and play around 75 shows annually.

We still attract and have a loyal following of the 60+ demographic.

When the 20 somethings wonder into one of our shows they leave immediately. That's fine, we're lucky, we don't need their business.

[/quote]

There's the answer, surely. [i]Your[/i] band appeals to the over sixties and not to twenty-somethings. Doesn't mean they don't like rock, just that your band doesn't appeal to them for whatever reason.

Blue - do you have any clips of your band playing that we could see? It would be interesting to get an idea of the type of stuff you play.