Why become a member? ×

Brass or steel strings for acoustic bass?

Alan84

I'm running a great sounding set of black nylon tape wounds on my acoustic bass ,

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductFamily.Page?ActiveID=3768&familyid=20&sid=d2ff4991-393a-443e-8863-aeeb13aea87e

Really helps against the loud finger movement noise that this sort of instrument can be prone too , and helps gives me that acoustic thump i'm looking for from my Aria AMB ...

You can still dig in to get a more modern sound too if i raise the mid and treble when plugged in, but most of the time this instruments for lazy desk based jamming .

I've never enjoyed 'acoustic guitar style' bronze bass strings - new ones are far too zingy for my taste. I did try the Thomastik acoustic bass set on my tanglewood acoustic bass, but they went manky very quickly and made my hands feel stickly and smell weird. I put on a worn-in set of TI 324 flats from my mustang instead and much prefer the feel & sound (& not having weird smelling hands). Not as loud by an acoustic bass by is that important if it needs to be amped anyway?

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1453636912' post='2961205']
Fender acoustic bass strings work really well on mine and don't break bank
[/quote]

I agree, but I also find that they go manky very quickly and don't sound good for very long :(

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1453739685' post='2962317']
I'm running a great sounding set of black nylon tape wounds on my acoustic bass ,

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductFamily.Page?ActiveID=3768&familyid=20&sid=d2ff4991-393a-443e-8863-aeeb13aea87e

Really helps against the loud finger movement noise that this sort of instrument can be prone too , and helps gives me that acoustic thump i'm looking for from my Aria AMB ...

You can still dig in to get a more modern sound too if i raise the mid and treble when plugged in, but most of the time this instruments for lazy desk based jamming .
[/quote]
+1 on these. Transformed the sound on mine. Couldn't do with the clatter of the bronze round wounds and the amplified sound is also greatly improved.