Why become a member? ×

Reasonably priced luthiers

noirpunk

[quote name='neepheid' post='286187' date='Sep 17 2008, 07:54 PM']Extreme chambering!

Get a set of forstner bits/holesaws and attack a bass with a drill press?[/quote]

Already been there. Bought a cheap bass and experimented with it.
Looks okay but it plays like cack. To be honest I just want a nicely built replica - sort of a tribute to Pepsi Tate.

[quote name='TheDarkReaver' post='286247' date='Sep 17 2008, 09:27 PM']Are those holes to reduce wind resistance when hitting the guitarist?[/quote]

hahaha! I'm a guitarist aswell as bass but yes.. guitarists are a pain in the arse :)
Especially ones who can play better than me.... damn them for being able to read music.. damn tem all haha

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='286260' date='Sep 17 2008, 09:50 PM']Why do you want holes in your bass? Purely cosmetic? Weight reduction?[/quote]

Because I want a replica of Pepsi Tates bass. Sort of poigniant really since he passed away a year ago tomorrow.
He's one of my biggest inspirations and I've wanted a replcia for a while. Just though now would be the time.

[quote name='Jase' post='286343' date='Sep 17 2008, 11:48 PM']Mr Dearnley in Splott Cardiff, loves a project. 02920 462953, but I reckon you should take it to him with those MASSIVE boots you wear!![/quote]

Dave's price for a more or less normal P bass was £1800 last time I asked .. Just to give you an idea as this one would probably be about the same amount of work to build .. oh and about 9 months...

[quote name='OldGit' post='286345' date='Sep 17 2008, 11:52 PM']Dave's price for a more or less normal P bass was £1800 last time I asked .. Just to give you an idea as this one would probably be about the same amount of work to build .. oh and about 9 months...[/quote]

You're kidding me!

[quote name='Jase' post='286353' date='Sep 18 2008, 12:03 AM']You're kidding me![/quote]

Nope.

I guess he doesn't like making complete instruments enough to do it cheaply ...
Someone I know as one of his Tele's and it was a bit less than that about a year ago ..

One man bands like that have to charge a reasonable amount to make it pay.
No economies of scale or gettng 200 bodies and necks made in China, and each hour he spends rubbing down the laquer he isn't doing a repair and setup at £20 per hour ...
Work out the hourly rate on, say, £1000 for the labour to build a P bass from scratch, and he'd be better off stacking shelves in Tesco ...

New luthiers may want the business and to spread the word (say Jim Fleeting for exmple) and may charge less but that's because part of the benefit to them of making the bass is to have one of their's out there advertsing their work.
I don't think Dave worries about that too much.

Thanks for the insight.

Already thought of Dearnley Jase (by the way... I need them new rock boots, I'm playing with a 6ft 4 guitarist and I stand at 5ft 7 on a good day :) ) - lovely bloke but he's pricey. Went down his workshop a few years ago to aquire some hardware for a guitar project I was doing... had a stunning Zemaitis Les Paul shaped bass - metal top to boot.
That was a beaut but 2 Grand - ouch!
Really I'd be looking at a budget of around £600 to be honest.

Edited by noirpunk

[quote name='noirpunk' post='286484' date='Sep 18 2008, 10:31 AM']Thanks for the insight.

Already thought of Dearnley Jase (by the way... I need them new rock boots, I'm playing with a 6ft 4 guitarist and I stand at 5ft 7 on a good day :) ) - lovely bloke but he's pricey. Went down his workshop a few years ago to aquire some hardware for a guitar project I was doing... had a stunning Zemaitis Les Paul shaped bass - metal top to boot.
That was a beaut but 2 Grand - ouch!
Really I'd be looking at a budget of around £600 to be honest.[/quote]

Hummm That's a bit of a challenge I reckon.

Isn't there a bass that's almost the right shape that could be bored and painted (and maybe have a headstock graft) so it looks about right ?
You may manage buying and modding for that budget but I doubt anyone will be able to do a complete from scratch bass for that ...

You can get paddle headed necks from WD so you can cut your own shape and then get a luthier to make the body and
The necks are £200 though ...
[url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/BASS_NECK_PADDLE_HEAD_EBONY_BEBLANK"]http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/BASS_NECK...D_EBONY_BEBLANK[/url]

£600? I would have thought the cost of materials and hardware might stretch to £300 (If you want the same spec) - that doesn't leave much for the time and overheads involved.

There was a guy with limited experience who was advertising on gumtree (london) for a while - getting a student to do something might be your only option.

[quote name='noirpunk' post='286509' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:23 AM']I might be able to get my hands on the wood.
They're cutting down some maple trees where I work and I could see if they'd be kind enough to cut me some blanks.
I could also provide my own hardware.[/quote]

You'd have to season it for several years before using that. Course, get it anyway, stack it up in garage, will be doing your future self a favour. With luthiers its always the time not the materials that is the cost.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='286600' date='Sep 18 2008, 01:31 PM']You'd have to season it for several years before using that. Course, get it anyway, stack it up in garage, will be doing your future self a favour. With luthiers its always the time not the materials that is the cost.[/quote]

Good idea.
In a few years time when I get my own house I wanna invest in a nice computer aided router.
I'll be able to make my own stuff then :)

[quote name='noirpunk' post='286196' date='Sep 17 2008, 08:06 PM']Already been there. Bought a [b]cheap bass[/b] and experimented with it.
Looks okay but it [b]plays like cack[/b]. To be honest I just want a nicely built replica - sort of a tribute to Pepsi Tate.[/quote]
The two may be linked...

Anyway, in my normal subtle way, I shall point out that Pepsi Tate evidently has no further need of the original, so you could try and find that instead of getting a replica.