Why become a member? ×

Bass Ramp for Jazz bass?

spiltmilk_2000

Hi guys, Im interesting in fitting a bass ramp onto one of my jazz basses to see how I get on. Im told they are good for developing a lighter touch and for having easier access to a range of playing positions and therefore tones.

Ive had a scout about on here and it seems they divide opinion... So I guess my questions are as follows:

1. Anyone fitted one themselves? Is it an easy fix? Is it easily reversible?
2. Have you seen any tangible benefit in your playing?
3. Where did you get it? Other than very expensive hand built wooden ramps I can't see any companies selling affordable, off the peg, ramps online and if i make one myself I'm bound to c@ck it up!
4. How important is getting the same radius as the neck?
5. Assuming the ramp does work for developing that lighter touch am I going to find that when I play my other five J basses they feel uncomfortable? Don't really want the expense of putting ramps on them all!

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Russ

I had a ramp on my Shuker 6. It does what it says on the tin without doubt.

There's a youtube video (search for Gary Willis ramp - 2 videos) of Gary Willis making a bass ramp for one of his students (to go on a Fender MM jazz bass). Looked easy enough! Matching the radius of the neck is essential, and the most difficult part I would think. Fitted with double sided tape so easily removable.

I don't think a ramp will help you develop a lighter touch, it will just prevent your fingertips going too far into the strings if you dig in hard. I found the right-hand position shown in the following technique, made me play with a much lighter touch:

[media]http://youtu.be/PPVMBPmrblU[/media]

[quote name='spiltmilk_2000' timestamp='1453285931' post='2958025']
Hi guys, Im interesting in fitting a bass ramp onto one of my jazz basses to see how I get on. Im told they are good for developing a lighter touch and for having easier access to a range of playing positions and therefore tones.

Ive had a scout about on here and it seems they divide opinion... So I guess my questions are as follows:

1. Anyone fitted one themselves? Is it an easy fix? Is it easily reversible?
2. Have you seen any tangible benefit in your playing?
3. Where did you get it? Other than very expensive hand built wooden ramps I can't see any companies selling affordable, off the peg, ramps online and if i make one myself I'm bound to c@ck it up!
4. How important is getting the same radius as the neck?
5. Assuming the ramp does work for developing that lighter touch am I going to find that when I play my other five J basses they feel uncomfortable? Don't really want the expense of putting ramps on them all!

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Russ
[/quote]

I made my own ramp for my Ibanez SR605. It was really straight forward to be honest. Ordered a block of ebony. Used a really cheap bit of scrap wood that I had lying around (for a practice run!). Cut out a rectangle with a bandsaw and then used the radius templates (free in the Jerzy Drozd bass set up guide - free online PDF, just google it!). I used one of the 20" (that was the radius of my bass) radius templates and glued it to the rectangle and cut a rough line close. Then hand-sanded the radius in properly, using the second radius guide to check that it was correct. Just kept sliding it back in to place to check the radius was right and that it wasn't too close to the strings etc. When I finished the radius on the top, I then sanded the flat edge (the bit that will stick to the bass) down a little to account for the additional height added in by the double-sided sticky tape to hold it in place. I then used gradually finer sandpaper and oil finish to get a nice finish to the ramp.

Then stuck it in place and it's been on ever since. Will be fairly easy to remove when I don't want it there any more too. The block of ebony cost about £30 and I could've got about 15 ramps out of it! The sandpaper and finish cost about £15 (I donated what I didn't use to my father-in-law for his woodturning projects in exchange for the use of his bandsaw and other tools to do the cutting!). If you use ebony, make sure you use a mask as its apparently REALLY not very nice if you inhale it (luckily, the bandsaw I was using has a vacuum attached to remove the dust as we were cutting).

I fitted the ramp to mine as I've been working on developing my right hand technique in a which really benefits from using a ramp to stop fingers 'digging in' too far. It was great fun making it and a worthwhile experience!

Edited by skej21

I just got a GWB35 (see recent thread here).

These have a ramp that comes standard. It really works for me and my style. I love having that limit to prevent me digging-in, and it evens-out the attack and volume of the notes. I normally use the pickup as a ramp - (not best practice! - as it has to be raised for comfort, not ideal sound).

I say definitely go for it. Try to get two ramps if you can: one for between pups, and one for between neck pup and heel of fretboard!

I've never seen it done before but if I was putting a ramp on a jazz bass I'd try to get it to match the pick guard. Not sure how you'd get the radius but I guess it could be done by getting a piece of wood with the right radius, and then gluing a piece of appropriate pick guard material onto that. I suppose you'd need a pretty strong glue to stop it coming apart under tension but if it could be done it would look great.

• 7 months later...

I've just had the radius taken out of my jazz bass fingerboard (made completely flat) and a refret, then had a a rosewood ramp built with the pickups mounted in. All the work was done by Jon Shuker and he did a such a great job with it.

I know people who've had really high quality jazz bass ramps built for around £80. If that's too much, I used one I bought off Ebay for a while, it's a drop in for a fender jazz and has a radius of 7.25". That worked pretty well. It's around £30 and it's on there now.

I hope you find a solution!

Edited by 77Bass