Why become a member? ×

Bass power amp suggestions please.

mattbass6

Hi everyone. I'm after a little help, please. I am going down the power amp / pre amp route and need some advice about power amps, please. I have no idea what I'm looking for. Everything I have checked out so far look like they are designed purely for a PA / monitoring setup. Is that OK? Are there specific power amps designed just for bass? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Matt :)

Hi Matt, I'm curious to know why you've decided to take this route when you don't seem to know how or even if it will do the job for you.

A power amp just makes noise. Unless you're getting into big arrays of cabs, that's about it. Bass players usually go to power amps when they need a lot of power or to run more cabs than the average bass amp.

I've never had to use a power amp and I've played in arenas. When you get larger than the average pub there is usually a good PA to go through.

[quote name='mattbass6' timestamp='1453119931' post='2956446']
Hi Chris,. I am using my SansAmp more and more so I just want something to power that. It's that simple :) I'm really just trying to find out options. Cheers.
[/quote]

Your present amp can be used as a power amp only, by sending your pre-amp signal into the 'effects return' jack. You'll still need speakers (cabs...), of course, in any rate. Why won't that do the job..? Do you need more power..? Do you need stereo, or bi-amping, or bi-phonics..? Any decent PA power amp should do the job, in 'bridge' mode if you don't need separate channels, but will require hefty cabs if you're 'upping' the power.
Hope this helps.

Some companies do make specific power amps for bass (no current production amps spring to mind but SWR, Ampeg and Trace used to) however, ones you've already looked at for PA will do the job just fine.

All the usual suspects from the pro-audio world such as Crown, QSC, Crest and C-Audio are all premium brands with Crowns being my personal faves. Decent performance can be had a little further down the line from the likes of Citronic andPeavey also.

Be aware of power ratings (and how they're achieved - I'll not get into that now), minimum impedance, speaker connections, input sensitivity and plus size and weight. Someone will almost certainly make one that suits your needs although it might take a bit of sifting through the pile to find the one..

Matt, One simple option could be to use an ordinary SS or D class (non valve) amp and put your SansAmp into the return socket. You'll be bypassing the pre on the amp and using the power section.

Dad beat me to it.

Edited by chris_b

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='mattbass6' timestamp='1453119931' post='2956446']
Hi Chris,. I am using my SansAmp more and more so I just want something to power that. It's that simple :) I'm really just trying to find out options. Cheers.
[/quote]

Popular choices would be the likes of QSC PLX/PLX2, Crown XLS or even Behringer inuke if your on a tight budget.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1453120260' post='2956454']
Your present amp can be used as a power amp only, by sending your pre-amp signal into the 'effects return' jack. You'll still need speakers (cabs...), of course, in any rate. Why won't that do the job..? Do you need more power..? Do you need stereo, or bi-amping, or bi-phonics..? Any decent PA power amp should do the job, in 'bridge' mode if you don't need separate channels, but will require hefty cabs if you're 'upping' the power.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Hi Dad3353, OK, that makes a lot of sense. I do appreciate the help. Cheers :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1453120432' post='2956459']
Matt, One simple option could be to use an ordinary SS or D class (non valve) amp and put your SansAmp into the return socket. You'll be bypassing the pre on the amp and using the power section.

Dad beat me to it.
[/quote]

Thanks Chris, as Dad said, that makes sense. Cheers :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1453120720' post='2956470']
On the other hand. . . . buy a decent bass amp and the pre should be every bit as good as the SansAmp.
[/quote]

I just love my SansAmp. It gives me everything I need. I will look at your suggestion and maybe keep the current setup. Thanks ever so much :)

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1453120919' post='2956474']
Some of the Sansamp preamps are not hot enough to drive some power amps to full power, so you'll need the check both the output voltage of the preamp and the input sensitivity of the power amp.
[/quote]

I had someone just mail me the exact same thing. Thanks so much :)

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1453121055' post='2956477']
I've got a Crown xls2000 on a reggae sound rig...silly loud...silly light....good price.....

:)
[/quote]

Cheers. I've decided to keep my rig and try some of the suggestions here. Thanks so much :)

Here's a nice looking bass poweramp FS on here now ...

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/274826-fs-fender-mb1200-power-amplifier/

I went down pre + power amp / powered cab route but changed back.
Now I just run my B7K into the front of my GK 400RB-IV .. I could bypass the amp's pre but haven't needed to as it sounds great, better than all the different pre / power setups I tried ... just my 2c

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1453120260' post='2956454']
Any decent PA power amp should do the job, in 'bridge' mode if you don't need separate channels, but will require hefty cabs if you're 'upping' the power.
[/quote]

Well its pretty common to over spec the amp when using a PA amp for bass rigs, last time I used a rack, the poweramp was over twice the rating of my cab (1600 watt rms bridged vs a 750 watt rms cab), most power amps have decent power meters so you see when your reaching say -12 or -6 db relative to full power so its not too hard to avoid doing something stupid.

I guess what I'm saying is if your cab(s) can produce the required volume then theres no need to upgrade just because you've theoretically got more amp power on tap.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1453122227' post='2956497']
Crest CA9
The daddy
[/quote]

Just remember to factor in the cost of a forklift to move it B)

Thanks everyone. After listening to your advice, I'm sticking with my current setup and going to use the SansAmp in conjunction with that. It does seem a bit mad when I think about it, going down the poweramp / preamp route. I appreciate all your comments, so much. Cheers :o)