Why become a member? ×

Practice Amp

martinbass7750

Hi all,

Just want some advice on choosing a practice/small gig amp.

I use an Eden head with a pair of EBS neo cabs for gigs and some practice venues, however I would like a combo to leave at a friends house where we rehearse at low levels.

I want depth of sound and clarity, almost hifi if that makes sense.

I suspect the PJB briefcase would fill the bill, but it's a bit dear for leaving at a mates house at around £450.

Anyone got any other suggestions at a lower budget?

Cheers

Martin

[quote name='sk8' post='285618' date='Sep 17 2008, 10:14 AM']I've got an eden nemesis N8 which is a great practice amp at 40 watts. What about a nemesis combo as you use eden already?[/quote]
One of my students has one of these (coz I recommended it based on you saying how good it was), and it is! Fine little practice amp for the money :)

[quote name='Bigwan' post='285693' date='Sep 17 2008, 11:12 AM']The smallest Line6 combo (the Lowdown Studio 110) is an excellent sounding small combo and has some serious welly for a 12" cube![/quote]

I'm trading down to one of those next payday... I've had enough of humping my Laney RB6 around and only running it at low volumes.

I think my back will not hurt so much either...

I use a Line6 Lowdown Studio as a practice amp and love it, but I wouldn't necessarily classify it as 'hifi' as it's a modelling amp. Same applies with the Roland.

You would probably be better off with the Eden Nemesis mentioned earlier or, on a tight budget, one of the Hartke practice amps for hifi sound.

I was so impressed with the lowdown 110 that I immediately thought of buying one for gigging, since all our stuff goes through the PA anyway... then we had a nightmare gig where the mixer gave up and we needed to use the backline to get through the gig. The wee 1x10 couldn't have handled that!

*(thinking) I suppose since we had 15 minutes of fiddling between PA going down and us deciding to use the backline I would have had time to get a proper rig from the van.... this idea has merit! (thinking)*

[quote name='farmer61' post='286057' date='Sep 17 2008, 04:59 PM']Got one of these puppies, it sounds and looks fantastic although I don't think they're made anymore. Only 65w with 2 x 10in speakers.

May still be able to pick one up second hand somewhere[/quote]

+1 to this one, really great amp. probably can be found for under a 100 s/h as well, as unfortunately they stopped production of them.

AHH! I was just gonna start a similar topic!

Do all these badboys have a decent DI out? I'm looking for something that's suitable for pit work, as all my practice amps at home are either a bit too massive (Peavey TNT115) dont have a working di (TE profet combo) or are too unreliable for anything other than bedroom use (a knackered Laney combo).

I've been recommended a Roland Cube / a small GK combo but nowhere near here has anything like that I could try out...so some more ideas would be nice!

I have a Lowdown 110 for bedroom practice, its a nice little amp especially for ideas and it tries quite well in my opinion to emulate bigger amps. The only trouble I have though is its probably not what I am after for the reason I bought it which was to test basses in a very neutral setting, this doesn't really do too well at that. Thought about getting a Roland Cube instead but maybe that might be the same as I what I have already, next step will probably be buy a seperate cab (10" speaker Epifani) with Markbass head that would be the best option although very expensive for bedroom use.