Why become a member? ×

Making a decision

Kevin Dean

When buying something new I wonder if anyone else takes as much time on reading up & asking questions about the product etc ..mainly on bass related products..to the point where Jon Shuker , Lee at Ashdown & Alex at Barefaced develop a nervous twitch when they see an email from me ;)

God, yes. I do as much research as possible, trawl this forum and the other place, trawl teh interwebz in general, find every single reference, review and pic - every possible scrap of information about the item that I can. Then I'll email the manufacturer, distributor, retailer and anyone else I can think of with questions and generally make a bloody nuisance of myself. :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1452683127' post='2952293']
Wow! That would be awesome! Let us know how it pans out, Lozz. :)
[/quote]

Will do Mark - I figure use two of them for rehearsals and small-venue gigs, all three for the larger stages. Not that I think sound-wise I would probably need them, but that stack of three of them on Barefaceds website just looks sooooo good, and would be the right size on a big stage.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1452684997' post='2952321']
I figure use two of them for rehearsals and small-venue gigs, all three for the larger stages. Not that I think sound-wise I would probably need them, but that stack of three of them on Barefaced's website just looks sooooo good, and would be the right size on a big stage.
[/quote]

Too right! Or how about four..? This from Barefaced...

[color=#0000ff][size=3]The 12 ohm version allows you to use up to three cabs with a solidstate amp with a 4 ohm minimum load. Many solidstate amps will run four cabs because the resulting 3 ohm load is easy enough.[/size][/color]

The ultimate (and modular) 8X10!
So you could have a 210, a 410, a 610 and an 810. If that's not flexible I don't know what is. ;)

Edited by discreet

It looks many of us search for reliable reviews before we make the decision. The problem with me is there is always one particular product I am thinking about. So all my search turns to be only a purpose to justify my first instinct. Rarely have I changed my first idea, which is my bad habit, I would say.

[quote name='william64' timestamp='1452689391' post='2952413']
It looks many of us search for reliable reviews before we make the decision. The problem with me is there is always one particular product I am thinking about. So all my search turns to be only a purpose to justify my first instinct. Rarely have I changed my first idea, which is my bad habit, I would say.
[/quote]

No, I think your approach is entirely reasonable. You know what you think you want, and check to see if it really is.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1452691954' post='2952460']

No, I think your approach is entirely reasonable. You know what you think you want, and check to see if it really is.
[/quote]

Yes. I agree. There will be lots of factors that have already steered you in that direction. Maybe ones you're not consciously aware of of.

Yup. My DNA commands me to investigate thoroughly through reading up and asking questions to retailer, distributor and manufacturer, and then putting every available quantifiable data into a spreadsheet, and after weighing the different parameters in an accomplished parameter prioritising system, letting the computer decide which product best serves my needs, after which, if I then notice I'm disappointed with the outcome, I must immediately order the one I wanted it to be in the first place.
This system is perfect, if slightly long-winded.

Knowing however that that is how my DNA works, in real life I just buy the one I wanted in the first place, and I'm not preoccupied too muchly with what I pay for it.
So if I want a Bongo, then I don't ask whether a RockBass Corvette will do nearly the same job at a fraction of the cost (which I think it will, BTW).
I'll then just buy the Bongo.

...without looking back

...as well as the Corvette, just to be sure.

:D

Other than that, I tend to ask questions in such a manner that if the recipient can be arsed to read and understand them, they can save a lot of time answering in a condensed manner.
Most recipients can't be arsed, and they will most probably use their time not answering my questions and probably losing a sale by doing so.
Happily, some recipients do understand and appreciate.
Mark Stickley and Marc Vanderkley are some of the good guys in my book, giving adequate info.

Hm.
Statistically speaking, I seem to trust Mark a lot more than John, Thomas, Peter or Judas.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1452697392' post='2952544']
Yup. My DNA commands me to investigate thoroughly through reading up and asking questions to retailer, distributor and manufacturer, and then putting every available quantifiable data into a spreadsheet, and after weighing the different parameters in an accomplished parameter prioritising system, letting the computer decide which product best serves my needs, after which, if I then notice I'm disappointed with the outcome, I must immediately order the one I wanted it to be in the first place.
This system is perfect, if slightly long-winded.

Knowing however that that is how my DNA works, in real life I just buy the one I wanted in the first place, and I'm not preoccupied too muchly with what I pay for it.
So if I want a Bongo, then I don't ask whether a RockBass Corvette will do nearly the same job at a fraction of the cost (which I think it will, BTW).
I'll then just buy the Bongo.

...without looking back

...as well as the Corvette, just to be sure.

Other than that, I tend to ask questions in such a manner that if the recipient can be arsed to read and understand them, they can save a lot of time answering in a condensed manner.
Most recipients can't be arsed, and they will most probably use their time not answering my questions and probably losing a sale by doing so.
Happily, some recipients do understand and appreciate.
Mark Stickley and Marc Vanderkley are some of the good guys in my book, giving adequate info.

Hm.
Statistically speaking, I seem to trust Mark a lot more than John, Thomas, Peter or Judas.
[/quote]

brilliant! :lol: