Why become a member? ×

Sandberg Forty Eight - availability?

highwayman

Having sampled my tutor's Sandberg Jazz style bass, I fell in love with its exquisite neck and immediately went to the Sandberg website to peruse their wares; when I caught sight of the stunningly badass Forty Eight I knew it was the "one".

I prefer not to buy new, whether it be quality watches or cars, and the same goes for instruments; any idea of what the starting retail price of these are, if they ever come up for sale used and for how much, and finally what they are like ergonomically (in particular - do they sit well on a strap)?

cheers

Thanks walbassist - the text said a five string anyway and I'm after a four string.

Thomann lists this tobacco burst model as out of stock but available to order; at £950 it looks good value?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sandberg_forty_eight_4_vm_tobacco_burst.htm?ref=search_rslt_forty+eight_368584_3

Edited by highwayman

I think you'd have to be a pretty rockin' bassist to go out & play that red with white go faster stripes one! Not sure if I could pull it off, though as you seem to be driving round in a bright yellow porker maybe you're the man for the job!

Nice looking basses.

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1452009401' post='2945474']
Thanks walbassist - the text said a five string anyway and I'm after a four string.

Thomann lists this tobacco burst model as out of stock but available to order; at £950 it looks good value?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sandberg_forty_eight_4_vm_tobacco_burst.htm?ref=search_rslt_forty+eight_368584_3
[/quote]

Thats a good looking bass to be fair. Go for it!

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1463827152' post='3054333']
I think they make really cool basses but, and this is controversial, I think their headstocks look really 'budget bass' :-P

Si
[/quote]

They obviously have to choose a version of the Fender style that's just enough not to get them sued. I think it looks pretty cool. Compare and contrast with the vestigial appendix that is on the end of the Dingwall DBird neck... Blooarrghh!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1463830126' post='3054370']
I just feel the headstock is a bit of a let down. Kind of doesn't go with what the body is doing. I'm not even sure what the best alternative would have been. I mean it doesn't ruin the whole look, I just think the headstock is a bit "meh".
[/quote]

I dunno, Entwhistle Fenderbird anyone?

It may all be down to cost. I wonder what it takes to re-jig the CNC machine to make a completely new design neck, as opposed to bunging on ones already done.

Edited by Billy Apple