Why become a member? ×

Jack Casady, isolated Somebody to Love at Winterland 1969

EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1451830354' post='2943744']
Alembicized Guild Starfire, and, I'm guessing, probably Pyramid Gold strings, Versatone Pan-O-Flex combo, Fender Dual Showman with 2x15 ...

[media]http://youtu.be/2bKsCOD32Tk[/media]
[/quote]

I worry that there aren't enough controls on that bass...

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1451852565' post='2944088']
how is he getting this tone? Or is can this be summed up by the 'Alembic' part of the Guild? What makes Alembivs get this tone?
[/quote]
[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1451853530' post='2944109']
Despite the Alembic tinkerings, it still sounds like a Guild Starfire more than anything IMHO.
[/quote]

Agreed it sounds like an overdriven Starfire with the Hagstrom Bisonic pickups.

The Alembic electronics is a factor no doubt but so is the Versatone (which I think is being used as a preamp).

You can catch a glimpse of the Versatone and the Fenders at Woodstock at about 0.40.

http://youtu.be/NIZMdanCZtM

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1451907244' post='2944391']
It immediately reminded me of John Entwistle. Whether it's the Alembic in it or the playing style or a bit of both. I can't decide.
[/quote]

that's exactly what I thought - dead ringer for those isolated bass videos of him of Won't Get Fooled Again and Baba O'Riley. That's why I thought it was the Alembic part that caused the tone

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1451915901' post='2944518']
Yes, indeed. I've owned an Alembic, as I'm sure you probably have if you're name is anything to go by and I think your right regarding the tone factor.
[/quote]

unfortunately I am just a big fan of The Ox, never owned an Alembic! Although there is a 1996 up for sale for £1,400 if anyone is interested

what I do slightly have in common with John is that he had sell off a substantial amount of gear just to keep his multi million pound Quarwood mansion afloat for another year, I have to sell my stuff too, albeit to afford my £60 per week student accommodation

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1451926238' post='2944660']
That is filthy.

I'd love tone like that. And a band that it would be suitable in.

So you guys reckon that tone is coming from the bass not just flatwound strings & an overdriven tube amp?
[/quote]

I think it's a combination of things including the flatwounds and the overdriven Versatone but also including the Bisonic pickups.

What strikes me about the tone is it has a lot of warmth which, to me, makes it quite unlike John Entwistle's tone, especially his later tone.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1451926764' post='2944669']

I think it's a combination of things including the flatwounds and the overdriven Versatone but also including the Bisonic pickups.

What strikes me about the tone is it has a lot of warmth which, to me, makes it quite unlike John Entwistle's tone, especially his later tone.
[/quote]

Interesting. It is warm but the low end still sounds like Johns, especially in The Real Me and Going Mobile isolated bass tracks which you can find on youtube. I would paste them but i can't copy using the mobile version