Why become a member? ×

Self taught on piano

The-Ox

What with the layout of a keyboard/synth being similar to say a bass (in terms of black keys being sharps and flats - and how you can easily play the c major scale for example) do any of you find it eady to crossover your bass knowledge to keyboard? I'm thinking of recording my own stuff and i want to add synths in some parts, I'm not gonna be Keith Emerson any time soon, but i feel like my bass playing would really help with keys. Wonder what you guys think

I've not found it easy. I think that's due to the fact that bass, even six string, allows for patterns and shapes that can be transferred anywhere over the fret board. When playing chords on keys, the shapes change. I think in visual and spatial relationships, so it throws me. I don't know what others think?...

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1451789092' post='2943477']
What with the layout of a keyboard/synth being similar to say a bass (in terms of black keys being sharps and flats - and how you can easily play the c major scale for example) do any of you find it eady to crossover your bass knowledge to keyboard? I'm thinking of recording my own stuff and i want to add synths in some parts, I'm not gonna be Keith Emerson any time soon, but i feel like my bass playing would really help with keys. Wonder what you guys think
[/quote]

I don't see how bass guitar is similar to a keyboard except in that they are both musical instruments. I don't understand your 'black keys' comment.

However, learning piano/keyboard even a little will improve anyone's understanding of music.

Having the theory definitely helps. For example, knowing what notes are in a scale/chord and transferring this to a keyboard is relatively straightforward. Playing bass however is no practical help to playing the keyboard. With software, however, you can loop a particular piece of music until you get it right.

I really don't see where you are coming from with your comment about the layout of a keyboard being similar to a bass - they couldn't be more different!
Bass technique won't be any use to you on a keyboard either, but learning to use both hands for playing a keyboard might well improve your dexterity on the bass.
Learning keyboards can only help with your overall understanding of music though, I found things like chord construction far easier to grasp on a keyboard than I ever did on a guitar.
I also found keys to be far better from a songwriting perspective as you don't end up relying on the same old patterns & shapes as you do on a guitar or bass.

I learnt keys before I picked up the bass; I'm very grateful to this day that my piano teacher was a big jazz enthusiast as he planted some very crucial seeds of music theory, which were incredibly useful when I was trying to master the bass under my own steam. I suspect that it may not translate back the other way quite so well, but a lot of the theory you already know may become a lot more obvious when you're forced to think more about the scales and intervals, as you will be when working things out on a keyboard. Compared to a guitar, it is a bit like having a big, linear map of all the possibilities, and I'll echo RhysP's sentiments above regarding writing on a keyboard - it does break you out of familiar shapes and 'boxes' quite effectively!

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1451825380' post='2943691']
Something like this?

:)
[/quote]

A bit amateuristic for a bass player, don't you think?
No, he rather needs a professional instrument.
One like this:

[URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/Swiss%20army%20bass%20342_zps4hfgafoz.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r525/basstractor1/Swiss%20army%20bass%20342_zps4hfgafoz.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1451828278' post='2943724']

A bit amateuristic for a bass player, don't you think?
No, he rather needs a professional instrument.
One like this:

[URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/basstractor1/media/Swiss%20army%20bass%20342_zps4hfgafoz.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r525/basstractor1/Swiss%20army%20bass%20342_zps4hfgafoz.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]

Looks like a Carl Thompson.....

In seriousness though, I think The-Ox possibly needed sleep instead of another drink at that late hour, and only wrote "similar" when he really meant "different".
Reading the OP like that, it seems to make more sense to me.
In case, I concur with what already has been written by others: it's not easy, but rewarding in several areas.

In my mind, the first thing to do then is to forbid oneself to look at C-major as simple, and at anything with black keys as difficult. Black keys are your friends when finding your way around the keyboard, and as a mnemonic for playing many parts.

Edited by BassTractor

They're similar in that the notes run chromatically, but that's the case for many instruments.

Having the ability to play piano is very useful, being able to see the triad, with it's notes and then the extensions.

I sometimes use a keyboard when I'm teaching bass, it makes some things easier for the student to visualise.

I think my wording was a bit off here, i think the chromatic comment above nailed it. I also meant to try and say that i felt it was easier to play chords and i also feel that my musical theory can br transferred over to keys. I say this because i find it easier to pick up chords on keys rather than guitar, despite the similarities between guitar and bass

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1451846951' post='2943992']
I say this because i find it easier to pick up chords on keys rather than guitar, despite the similarities between guitar and bass
[/quote]

That's exactly it. You can see very easily the intervalic form of a chord.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1451821549' post='2943624']
I've not found it easy. I think that's due to the fact that bass, even six string, allows for patterns and shapes that can be transferred anywhere over the fret board. When playing chords on keys, the shapes change. I think in visual and spatial relationships, so it throws me. I don't know what others think?...
[/quote]

Same for me, the asymmetry of a keyboard just completely messes with my head, its completely at odds with the way I internalise musical structures.

Edited by bassman7755