Why become a member? ×

So, i finally tried a Bongo...

Kev

[quote name='Matt42uk' post='392950' date='Jan 27 2009, 05:26 PM']I've just bought it for £999 as a stop gap before i decide on my next bass!!

Cheers

Matt[/quote]
The same one i played?? If so, nice one mate, i really enjoyed playing it ;)

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='392999' date='Jan 27 2009, 06:06 PM']Sorry Matt, was probably a tad excessive in my condemnation there-wasn't meaning to slag your bass-if it suits you that's all that matters. They don't do it for me, but vive la difference, eh?[/quote]

Mate its totally fine...im not offended! I NEVER would have dreamed of having one..but the price was good....

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='392980' date='Jan 27 2009, 05:52 PM']I don't care how great it sounds-I still think it's one of the most hideous things ever to have four (or five, or for that matter any amount of) strings. The body looks like a bog seat and the headstock looks like Peppa Pig (those with kids will understand). Apologies to Bongo lovers-but then us Precision lovers have to take enough insults![/quote]

I dont think that was unpleasent, actually in some ways its quite accurate....

Beauty however, is in teh eye of the beholder and wouldnt it be a very sad place if we all liked the same.....?

e.g. I would have never got hold of ANY PRSs because no one would be selling them....

;)

[quote name='Matt42uk' post='393001' date='Jan 27 2009, 06:08 PM']Was it the blue ish colour one???

No pics as i dont have it till Friday![/quote]
is it the same colour as this one:

If so yeah its probably the same one

Ello Matt!

Fancy seeing you here!

I used to abhor these basses, purely on looks - but being a well rounded player (talking belly size here) I spent a little time with one and I actually think as a player's instrument, they are superb! Very easy to play; very comfortable. The shape reminds me of Hellboys' cut-off horns but it has grown on me!

Kev - send me a pm! Might have a bass for you...

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='392980' date='Jan 27 2009, 05:52 PM']....I don't care how great it sounds-I still think it's one of the most hideous things ever to have four (or five, or for that matter any amount of) strings. The body looks like a bog seat and the headstock looks like Peppa Pig (those with kids will understand). Apologies to Bongo lovers-but....![/quote]
+1. And an extra +1 for the hideous bit!

well...... I am a big defender of the Bongo... the look of any bass is personal, but when your on stage your gonna get noticed with a bongo.

many nights i play a stingray, precision or a jazz.. no one notices... strap on a bongo, and people start asking about it...only other bass ( that i own)
that gets any attention is a Ric.. but the bongos gets much more attention, mostly from non muso's.

They are very comfortable, have the Musicman sound and then some more, 4 band eq is so versatile you could run it straight into a power amp. and i just love 'em.

bongo is relatively fine.....look at those foderas(I mean that imperial or emperor II monsters) or warwicks(their legendary condom horn)....or that madness Sabre.....these are really ugly....Bongo if anything is at least interesting....dont even mention BC RICH.....

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='393901' date='Jan 28 2009, 06:15 PM']I do miss the tones from my white Bongo 4HS (Power of Ten on here has it nowadays).Nothing I've owned since comes close soundwise but niggly things stopped me keeping it.

One day I will probably get a 4H with the 3EQ.[/quote]

Niggle things???

• 5 months later...

[quote name='power of ten' post='396424' date='Jan 31 2009, 09:40 PM']well...... I am a big defender of the Bongo... the look of any bass is personal, but when your on stage your gonna get noticed with a bongo.

many nights i play a stingray, precision or a jazz.. no one notices... strap on a bongo, and people start asking about it...only other bass ( that i own)
that gets any attention is a Ric.. but the bongos gets much more attention, mostly from non muso's.

They are very comfortable, have the Musicman sound and then some more, 4 band eq is so versatile you could run it straight into a power amp. and i just love 'em.[/quote

Yo Power --- Lovin the family, nine beauties --- I'm with you on Rays an Bongo --- [read a comment on em lookin like toilet seat? similarity? sure is ... Find myself standin in front of either an i'll automatically pick em up .... an i'm always gettin a loada earache for never puttin em down ! :rolleyes: ]

Not convinced bout the Bongos gettin you noticed though? --- had mine while now, an part from the odd muso occasionally shown some interest, poppin up after a gig wantin a chat and a quick try out on em --- Don't get me no notice at all? --- You sure its the bongo thats attractin em? ---

Any more of the family at home? --- gone all paternal now,lookin at yours!! [ an little green :) ]

Edited by pbscrewuser

I don't like the attitude of music shop staff members...All the MM basses have lazer fields and the like, should you even breathe on them!
Why should you buy without trying? They are there to test first and buy later if need be, just like a car showroom.
Hence, I don't use music shops any more...Going to buy strings and they don't even know what your on about and try to make YOU look stupid!?
I don't think so. :)

I've owned a 5HS and a 4HH together and the tone on the HS was very different to the HH, much more earthy and 'woody' sounding. If it had of been the other way around I'd probably still have it as 5 strings isn't for me.

Didn't they put the 4EQ into any other bass, like a Ltd Ed?