Why become a member? ×

Markbass Cabs, what's the difference?

timmchale2009

Hi guys!

I'm in the market for some Markbass cabs, but with so many different models out there (NY, CMD, Ninja, Traveller, Standard) I am left somewhat confused.

Ideally I am after a 2 X 10 & 1 X 15, I'd like the models to match, I am running an Ampeg SVT 2 Pro into them and want lots of punch but warmth also.

Can anybody help explain and point me in the right direction so I can get the best possible combo of cabs to get the right sound.

Regards

Tim

The MB 2x10 cabinet comes in two different sizes. The front vented one is larger, has better stage bottom end. The smaller 'Traveller' 2x10 is rear vented, not as 'tall' so hasn't quite the same bottom end ( to be heard front end). The larger cab also has a better tweeter.
The pairing of large and smaller 2x10 cabs works well, even better if just the larger two cabs are used together.
The 15" cabs come as a manageable 'Traveller' size or full size 15".
The traveller 15" with (either) 2x10 is very good. It fits well size wise with the 2x10 Traveller but I also use it with the large 2x10.
The large 15" cabinet I found is more for large stage sizes, it really does push out tons of bottom end that you may find too much in pubs/clubs/ small theatres, especially if you sit another cab on it.
(I'm not sure if the 'Club' series 15" are still in production, I think they fit under the 12" combo).

Edited by mybass

mybass has pretty much nailed it. If space/portability is major issue, get the traveller cabs, but they are of a lesser quality than the standard series. I can't tell you which speaker size is best to go for, but I used to own a 4x10, sold it in a moment of madness, then got another because of how much I loved it. Whenever people put their head through it at gigs they are full of compliments about the sound and how efficient it is, so I can definitely recommend a 2x10 / 4x10

Having owned Markbass speakers from the Std, Traveller, NY and Club series I'm not sure any of them are of inferior quality. The 2x10 Traveller cabs I had contained the same drivers as their Std counterparts, just maybe in a smaller cabinet,
One of my favourite cabs is the Traveller 121H. A pair of Traveller 102's is a really good combination.

If you've not bought any, go & try them.

The CMD range are combos, so that rules them out from what you're looking at.
Ninja is a signature model for Richard Bona (kinda like the Alain Caron series). These come in the Traveller cab for the 1x12 & the NY cab for the 2x12.

The 3 versions of cabs are STD (standard), Traveller & New York. How you choose is first with you ears & then with where you're going to be using it.
Are you using this as backline & micing the cab to go through the PA or are you using this as the bass PA?
If it's the latter, find the one cab you like the best & get a 2nd identical.
Adding a 15 to a 2x10 is a bit like putting different wheels & tyres on the front & back of your car & then every now & then swapping them around. Could be great at one venue & totally irritating at another.

[quote name='mybass' timestamp='1451323161' post='2939565']
The smaller 'Traveller' 2x10 is rear vented, not as 'tall' so hasn't quite the same bottom end ( to be heard front end). The larger cab also has a better tweeter.

The pairing of large and smaller 2x10 cabs works well, even better if just the larger two cabs are used together.

The 15" cabs come as a manageable 'Traveller' size or full size 15".

The traveller 15" with (either) 2x10 is very good. It fits well size wise with the 2x10 Traveller but I also use it with the large 2x10.

[/quote]

My rig is the Traveler versions here to give you an idea of the size...

As above, the main difference is the size/volume of the cabs around the speakers. If you look at the 2x10 there is no clearance between the speakers and cab housing. The normal versions have a larger baffle and the front port.

These were mostly used for a party/covers band where the bass didn't go through the PA and they worked admirably with the LM2 head with lots of headroom. Smaller gigs, acoustic stuff, church and rehearsals tended to be with just the 2x10 and again that was more than enough with plenty left to spare. The full cabs would have had more headroom I guess, plus the cab volume and different porting will have had some effect but I'm no speaker expert so... Their real advantage for me was portability and versatility while still giving a strong, deep, punchy tone.

Hope that helps.

I used to have a Std 102HF (double ported version) which I used with a Traveller 102p. I eventually bought another 102p cab and preferred the 2 x Traveller cabs together. The travellers when paired seemed to be more than 2x the single cabs.

I often regret selling those cabs now....

Tim, have a word with Gary at Promenade in Morecambe. Bit of a trek but they usually have a good stock of Markbass gear in.
That 800w you are looking at on FB, remember, since they changed to Indonesian assembly, prices have come down a good way.
You can buy new/warranted now at the price of quite a lot of advertised used stuff if you look around.

EDIT. Oh, and two Traveler 102P's stacked vertically make a great noise, take up very little space and have the top speaker quite close to your earhole :D

Edited by karlfer