Why become a member? ×

Cherry body

Paul Cooke

I have access to a large piece of cherry which could be used for a body for a bass... before I go to the trouble of having it planked and dried, has anybody had a bass body done with Cherry before now and did it work?

This cherry tree (which I helped take down last weekend) is really large in cross section and the largest chunk is over two foot in diameter and 4 foot long, dead straight with no branches over that part either.

We already have a couple of local cabinet makers interested in it, but it would be nice to know if it would make a good body for a bass first.

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='283750' date='Sep 14 2008, 04:43 PM']I have access to a large piece of cherry which could be used for a body for a bass... before I go to the trouble of having it planked and dried, has anybody had a bass body done with Cherry before now and did it work?

This cherry tree (which I helped take down last weekend) is really large in cross section and the largest chunk is over two foot in diameter and 4 foot long, dead straight with no branches over that part either.

We already have a couple of local cabinet makers interested in it, but it would be nice to know if it would make a good body for a bass first.[/quote]

TB Discusson on the subject here
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5174"]Talk bass on cherry wood bass bodies[/url]

My '87 Warwick Streamer has a cherry body and sounds very nice. Cherry appears to have fallen out of favour as a tonewood because its relatively expensive and doesn't look fancy but that doesn't mean it isn't a good body wood. It isn't the lightest of woods, so bear that in mind with body shapes / chambering.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='283818' date='Sep 14 2008, 06:41 PM']My '87 Warwick Streamer has a cherry body and sounds very nice. Cherry appears to have fallen out of favour as a tonewood because its relatively expensive and doesn't look fancy but that doesn't mean it isn't a good body wood. It isn't the lightest of woods, so bear that in mind with body shapes / chambering.

Alex[/quote]

As Alex says, the earliest Warwick Streamer Stage Is were Cherry bodied then they changed to Maple. I have to say that the early Cherry bodied models are still some of my favourites :) Warwick pretty much came up with their slogan 'The sound of wood' based upon these Cherry Streamers.

My only experience of cherry wood is in a 6-string acoustic guitar - back and sides, with a spruce top. Beautiful tone - a little more bass and mid range than it's rosewood sister. Now a little over 20 years old, and the finish has matured, darkening a tone or two over the years - now a beautiful deep colour with a red-ish hue. I'd certainly be tempted to try a cherry wood bass.

My Clifton shortscale is all cherry - English body and american neck. Nice wood, the English seems like alder, but with more interesting grain. The american cherry is denser, with a darker reddish colour, but has resin pockets that can pop up when you start carving it. Look at Mo Clifton's site (www.cliftonbasses) for more info...

BB