Why become a member? ×

Metal Sound??

hrl_damo

I'm looking at trying to get a somewhat more beefy tone as well.

I'm using a Spector Euro 5LX through a rack Mesa Big Block 750 as my pre-amp and a Sansamp RPM for overdrive. All through an Ampeg 8x10 cab.

Now, it is quite monstrous...but I'm looking to get that extra clarity and beefyness if possible...compression perhaps? I havent really used a compressor much before. Any ideas? Or ideas for settings?

Edited by Murph_Orpheus

Yeah i agree with what people have said get a bass with a huge humbucker and 18v active curcitry for added beef, a bass amp with more power and get another cab, i'd go with a 4x10. This way you still get a lot of low end beef but with added clarity, that high end is what makes the bass stand out against the guitars in the recording, especially if you add a bit of distortion or compression.

[quote name='Murph_Orpheus' post='413406' date='Feb 18 2009, 05:33 PM']I'm using a Spector Euro 5LX through a rack Mesa Big Block 750 as my pre-amp and a Sansamp RPM for overdrive. All through an Ampeg 8x10 cab.[/quote]

Now THAT'S a METAL rig!! ;)

Thumbs are a 26 fretter, right? Even if they're a 24, try playing closer (or even on) the base of the neck. Sure, you'll lose a bit of top-end, but you can replace that with a bit of judicious tinkering with the treble control or edging the pan control towards the bridge pick-up a little bit...
Worth a go.
Doesn't cost a penny. Worth a go!
Credit Crunch Bass Playing ahoy!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='414034' date='Feb 19 2009, 11:21 AM']Thumbs are a 26 fretter, right? Even if they're a 24, try playing closer (or even on) the base of the neck. Sure, you'll lose a bit of top-end, but you can replace that with a bit of judicious tinkering with the treble control or edging the pan control towards the bridge pick-up a little bit...
Worth a go.
Doesn't cost a penny. Worth a go!
Credit Crunch Bass Playing ahoy![/quote]

Hmm that sounds like it'll just sound muddy and as i've said you want the top end clarity as well as the low end.

I agree with those suggesting the mesa big block 750 for heavy music!!

Trouble is i no longer play that sort of music and i need the cash so im selling mine ;) here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29837&pid=414758&st=0&#entry414758"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry414758[/url]

you know you want it :P

Sell your thumb, buy a battered old fender precision, best bass sound I ever heard live was Raging Speedhorn and the bass player was using a well used vintage fender P and the bass sound was so dominant and thick it just cut through everything and it really gave the sound some serious balls, you'll probbably lose some of the growly mids you're getting from your thumb but it'd thicken out your sound with plenty of low end woof.

Edited by kevbass