Why become a member? ×

Daft amp question

Thunderbird

Hi guys I am thinking of buying this http://basschat.co.uk/topic/274862-line-6-lowdown-hd400-l140-posted/ but I am not sure if I can plug my 8OHM cab in to it or wether it needs to be a 4OHM cab I have asked the seller but he was a bit unsure to so thought I would ask here :)

Here is the instruction manual all this OHM stuff is double dutch to me lol thanks in advance :)

http://uk.line6.com/data/6/0a060b316ac34f05934b940f8/application/pdf/LowDown%20Pilot%E2%80%99s%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20F%20).pdf

The 8 ohm cab will be fine. 4 ohm is the minimum impedance you should connect to the amp. You'll get slightly less power with the 8 ohm but the volume difference is barely noticeable.

EDIT: The wording in the manual is not clear so you were wise to check.

Edited by dincz

Not time to read it all but you will be fine plugging your 8ohm cab in, you just won't get the full power out that you would if you only had a 4ohm cab. This comes up regularly on this site so have a browse for other similar threads. What it is warning about is that if you use extension speakers cabs, ie driving 2 units from your amp make sure they are both 8ohm so the total impedence will be no lower than 4ohm.
edit - beaten to it by dinz.

Edited by KevB

It looks like they meant to say use only [b]one[/b] 4 ohm cab connected to (20) You can use an 8 ohm cab. It is lost in translation by the look of it. The main twin speakons labelled 20 are designed for one 4 ohm load or two x 8 in parallel. So hence my interpretation they meant to say just [b]one[/b] 4 ohm cab in there.

No your cab is compatible.

Anything above 4ohms is fine. Just that the amp won't have to work so hard and will be a tiny bit less loud as a result.

Two 8ohm cabs equals one 4ohm cab so if you have an 8 you could add another 8. Two 4ohm cabs equals one 2ohm cab so this is too low and you can't use another 4ohm cab. that's all they are warning you about.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1449915653' post='2927890']
Sigh did a mega google lol and this can only have a 4OHM load :( so if this info helps anyone else cool thanks for the help guys :)
[/quote]

Several folks here ...

[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/line-6-lowdown-hd400-400w-rack-mount-bass-amp-head#productDetail"]Reviews of HD400 head ...[/url]

... using this head into 8 Ohm cabs. There is no reason not to. This will work very well with your cab, with no danger to anyone or anything. The warnings are for using 2 x 8 Ohm cabs only, as opposed to 2 x 4 Ohm cabs, which would overload the amp. Your cab is compatible with this amp. Beware of interpretation of what you've 'googled'.

Edited by Dad3353

Obviously I don't know, but I'm wondering if the OP is thinking that the higher the ohms rating of a cab the more damage it could do.
If this is the case then it's the other way around, going below the stated amp rating causes damage not above,a four ohm load is as low as you want to go, eight will be fine.
If my thought isn't the case then I apologise.

Thunderbird - as others have said, your 8ohm cab is fine to use with this amp. If you choose to do so, you could also add another 8ohm cab which will give a resistance of 4 ohms (and therefore maximum power from the amp) however this is up to you, you don't have to add another cab, yours will be just fine. If you fancy the amp, go for it - all is well with your cab.