Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Zoot Bass build

RichardH

I've been having a few shoulder problems recently, and although my G&L isn't super heavy at 10lbs, it aggravates my shoulder after a 3 hour rehearsal.... So I was chatting to Mike Walsh and asked him if he happened to have any pre-made bodies knocking around that were particularly lightweight - the idea was to see if I could get him to build a lightweight "workhorse" gigging bass using stuff he had part finished already - partly to keep the cost down but also to speed the build time up.

Anyway, he sent me photos of this, which he described as one of the lightest bodies he's ever made

Here it is with a scratchplate on - I'm going to have one in tort though, and will be adding a J pickup - since the body's routed for it, it would be rude not to, wouldn't it.

Unfortunately he didn't have any necks built, but did have a couple of pre-slotted rosewood fretboards - I've gone for the lower one

...So that's what we're going for. I am having Aguilar MM and J pickups in it, running passive - but using a Noll mixpot to allow the pickups to blend properly.

I think the pickup route for the MM pickup is oversize, so it needs to be covered by a pickguard. If I were speccing from scratch then I may well have gone for no pickguard. The body will be natural - maybe a bit of a tint to the finish - it's already got a sealer coat on though so again we're limited as to what funky finishes could be applied. Natural + tort is a classic combo in my book :)

It's tempting to start speccing "interesting" things, but I keep reminding myself that this is a bass to take out to pub gigs, and is being built to a budget and intended to be turned around quickly (though the pickups will take a bit of time to arrive from the US).

I have some pics of neck progress I will dig out later and put up.

Edited by RichardH

Having just traded a Zoot I would recommend a Bass Collection Nanyo SGC over them all day long. Though they are similar in many ways I find the balance on the Nanyo to be that little bit better and the J/P pups preferable over the J/J that I had on the Zoot. Another deciding factor is that you can pick up a half decent one for less than £200 - I believe there's a fretless currently for sale here for £140 - an absolute steal!! Not sure of the weight of the fretless but both of mine are less than 8LBs.

[quote name='RichardH' timestamp='1448451274' post='2915486']
I think the pickup route for the MM pickup is oversize,
[/quote]

Ah that makes perfect sense! :)

I look forward to seeing more pictures in the future and this build coming together.

Neck blank marked up and ready to get attacked

Truss rod in place

At first I assumed the four parallel lines up the neck were just markings for position, but the close up here made me realise that Mike has laminated the neck and run some ebony pinstripes up between the layers. I had been expecting a one piece neck, so that was a bit of a treat. Being cynical, I reckon it was just cos he didn't have any big enough lumps of maple around, so he's bodged a few offcuts together with some 6" nails and made it look like it's supposed to be like that...

Neck shape roughed out

Fretboard in position

One or two clamps...

Yes, I know that - since it is a budget and quick job, I was just expecting a one piece neck like Mike sometimes uses in his trad looking Precision and Telecaster shaped "Talisman" basses.

Here's the neck released from the clamps

...that second neck is a wenge beasty that he's building for someone else at the moment - I think it's going to have LEDs in it too.

I'm not having front dots on the front - less work, and in the unlikely event that I miss them, then they can always be added afterwards.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1450689260' post='2934810']
A simple but clever jig. Hopefully he doesn't wear a tie!
[/quote]

:lol:

It's actually pretty terrifying - I'm sure there's a good reason it's mounted like that, but I personally would feel much safer if it was mounted in a more traditional orientation like a router table or spindle moulder (which are still very dangerous machines).

Looks like a great build tho! :)

This looks great !! congratulations :)

I was under the impression Zoot were making either less instruments or not at all, did I get the wrong end of the stick? (I guess so!!)

Are they offering the full range of services listed on the website? (custom and stock instruments, cabs etc all from one company is amazing - I'd love to go and see the workshop, always admired what I have seen of their approach, very cool)

Tom

Yes, Mike is still producing basses and cabs. He's currently redoing his main workshop though, so the CNC machine and his "big boy" tools are in storage while that happens. As I understand it, once that is up and running, there will be more in the way of stock instruments. However, he is still building basses and cabs in the meantime - he just sent out a lovely pair of Zoots to a customer, and is also completing work on an interesting custom Zoot specced to be very similar to the Squarepusher bass that is mentioned further up in this thread. He's been doing a fair bit of repair/upgrade/refin work on basses for people as well.

Yeah, it'd be good if they could give the website a proper update whenever the workshop is fixed up.
I remember, when I was trying to find out who made Tom Jenkinsons bass, I found that website and I didn't know if the company was Zoot, Iceni or Purple Chili. Anyway, I assumed the company was finished or something because there's been no activity on the site for years and the shop button doesn't work.

No need to jump feet-first into the whole social media thing, but a more up-to-date site would let people know that the company is alive and well. Such nice-looking (and sounding) basses. I'd love to play one someday.

• 2 weeks later...

The original intention has been to keep it natural wood, but to stain it down a bit to get the grain to pop. Mike's been experimenting with various stains, and a lot of them have made the wood look too yellow, and have brought out some funny pale bits in the wood that didn't take the stain. I've told him to use his judgement, but not to faff around forever with it - we can always go for a gloss black if it comes to it, which would look pretty good with the chrome and tort.

Remember this build is a "quick and dirty" from an existing body he's had knocking around the workshop for years - the main attraction of it is the fact that it's super lightweight. We're not even sure what timber it is - all we know is that it's an oriental hardwood of some type!