Why become a member? ×

My first bass guitar build

Bastav

Hi, new to the forum (well, not really but new to posting anyway). A few months ago I decided I was gonna get into building a bass. Ive basically finished it so not really a diary but more like a conclusion of my first build. Ive already got the next one lined up so perhaps I'll do a diary when that ball gets rolling :)

Anyway the idea for this bass was to build a five string fretless bass, getting as close to upright sound as i could. What I ended up with is a semihollow ash body with an ovangkol top, limba and maple neck, rosewood fretboard. OPriginally i intended to have both a magnetic mic and a piezo typ mic but in the end that turned out to be to complicated for my very bassic understanding of bass electronics so theres just a schertler bluestick which is basically a condenser mic in piezo clothing.

Cutting a long story short, Im quite happy with the end result. Needless to say there were a few hickups being my first build and all, but if you dont look too close I think its quite pretty :)

Oh yeah, the neck is FAT. I wanted to try this as my hands are biggish and its actually very comfortable.

Staring with a few construction site images

And the finnished product

Thanks for looking, and Ill be happy to receive any pointers!

[quote name='Bastav' timestamp='1447940064' post='2911629']
Glad to hear that you like it! This is what it sounds like, pay no particular attention to my playing though. I need to get som side markers on this thing :blush:
[attachment=205403:basen.mp3]
Thank yous
[/quote]

Download and change the suffix to 'mp3'. An unfortunate 'feature' of the forum software is responsible for the necessity of this.

Sounds good, despite the rather 'raw' recording; well done.

Edited by Dad3353