Why become a member? ×

If a landlord asks you to play for free, show him this video

Weststarx

Hmmm, there was a time when I was happy enough to play for free..... You know, charity gigs and festivals etc. When I was in an originals band in the 90's I even paid to play at London venues. But, nowdays I'm beginning to think differently.

I played a gig last night, to raise money for the community centre where it was held, with 3 other bands and a solo singer. All 5 acts played for nothing, dragging themselves along and arriving before 7pm as requested. This meant I had to take the day off work to make sure I could get there that early ( I can't always be sure of getting home before then on a Friday) so that's a days pay it's cost me to start with. My band played for 45 minutes, half the time we would play for a paid pub gig (say £75 for the band?) And then we had to buy our own drinks all night as we weren't allowed to load out til after the last band had finished. So it's probably cost me getting on towards £100 just to play for 45 minutes.... I would've been better off just putting a £50 note in the collection bucket!

The PA and sound engineer were provided by a local company who do lots of events around here over the summer and I doubt that they did it for nothing, so why did the bands? After all, nobody came there to look at the PA speakers, the desk or to listen to the quality of the engineers mixing. They came to see the bands!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1446908127' post='2903425']
Err. . . . remind my why everyone thinks that all music should be free these days?
[/quote]

Erm ... they don't.

There are very few things that "everyone" thinks, and no one suggests that "all" music should be free.

I have no problem with the idea that some people think that some music should be free.

And I also have no problem with the idea that some people don't agree with some of the things I believe.

Isn't life grand?

B)

We supported the Primitives last night, we were first band on in a major city where we would like to do more, we were not paid for last night and judging from the size of the venue I would doubt the promoter, the venue owner of the headline band are going to be buying new Porsche's off the back of the gig, we sold a few CD's gained a few friends and impressed the promoter who promised better things next year, so we played for free but not for nothing.....

Yes we could stand our ground and insist that we are paid for every gig but as an originals band we are not exactly fighting venues off, yet! I assume taking a stance of insisting we are paid for every gig would see the offers for gigs diminish to around about zero.

We have played at venues that certainly look like they are fighting for survival in a world of city centre apartments and bistro's , without these venues we have nowhere to play and live original music comes to an end......do we play for free.....No I don't think we do

Of course, we've all done it but even in original bands we charged a fee.
Even if what we asked for was dependent on getting numbers in..we learnt that money was there.
If you ask for money and give nothing back, then I can understand why even the most willing promoter
would want to not over commit.
When we did the London circuit we never had any problem getting minimum exes and we always made a huge effort
getting people in so what we asked for never turned out to be unreasonable. Wouldn't say there weren't fraught times, sure,
but we never played anywhere, free. The drums and keys cost a min of £30 each per gig back in the early 90's and we
took at least £100 for the likes of the Orange Club, Ronnie Scotts and Mean Fiddler etc etc
I don't recall many empty nights but then if there had been, we would never have made any money.
Of course, we were 'filling' these venues on off nights and you knew you had an 'understanding' with these
club owners when they gave you another date...

Edited by JTUK