Why become a member? ×

Envelope filters - recommendations please!

Shaggy

Ooooooooooh, that is one piece of funky Sh*t. It will get you going big style. I personally love that sound!
However, my moogerfooger is the weapon of choice nowadays. I use it asa wah wah or just an env filter. you can also fade in the filter or fade it out.
And it doesnt annoy the traditional guitarist in my band, which the TRON did.

Best of luck

Personally i've got the EBS Bass IQ and the Maxon AF-9, both excellent pedals.
I've had the deep impact and korg G5 which were very cool too.
The Korg seemed to have the edge for the wah / env filter style effects - both on quality and for the wide range of options available for this style of effect.

Briefly played with an EBS Bass-IQ the other day - seemed great, so I've just dug out a Russian Bass Balls I was lent years ago by god knows who (ferrett? :) ) and never used as the box is just the right size to fit under my alarm clock, making it visible from bed without moving. Not too much chance to play yet, but I can only seem to get one usable sound out of it. That sound however, has got 70's blaxploitation cops n robbers car chase mofo funk written all over it, so feet off, velcro on and onto the pedalboard with you my son. Jubbly.

[quote name='bluesparky' post='286478' date='Sep 18 2008, 10:21 AM']Personally i've got the EBS Bass IQ and the Maxon AF-9, both excellent pedals.
I've had the deep impact and korg G5 which were very cool too.
The Korg seemed to have the edge for the wah / env filter style effects - both on quality and for the wide range of options available for this style of effect.[/quote]

+1 for the Korg G5

• 9 months later...

I've been through tons of filters, finally settled on a Meatwad and an Octavius Squeezer, but the Q-Tron is a brilliant filter for the money. Nothing beats it. And if you want to run fuzz infront of a filter then get the +. It's important to have that loop feature, or an envelope in (which I have on both my current filters).

Extra vote for the Bassballs, because run after other effects it produces other-wordly sounds. Don't run it as a standard envelope filter, treat it as a modulation effect. There's nothing like it.

Oh and for pure synthy noises, it's much cheaper to just get a Bass Micro Synth, but try to get one of the old models if you can, rather than the XO. It sounds much better. Honestly it just plain beats a lot of more expensive pedals (and combinations of more expensive pedals) for doing Moogy synth bass sounds. Especially the original circuit - the XO can get a bit weedy, but the original is full-on synth awesome. I've got an OC-2, Woolly Mammoth, Meatwad, O.S. and stuff on my board but I still keep a BMS because it's just better for that stuff. It's really a brilliant effect.

• 4 months later...

Heya,

I'd recommend the Ashdown Envelope filter...it's cheep and sounds great. I occasionally stick a fuzz in front of it....gives a real synth sound!....Here's a review i wrote, just to be helpful!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58261"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58261[/url]

its in the effects review section.

Hope i helped!

Josh