Why become a member? ×

Iggy Pop : BBC John Peel Lecture

The Admiral

Fascinating transcript of Iggy Pop's speech, during which he shares that if he didn't have the car insurance adverts and the BBC show, he'd be tending bar between sets.

Certainly he's not what we might call a mainstream star, but I certainly imagined he'd be comfortably off, given his back catalogue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1DBxXYBDJLt2xZgxjzCkLRg/bbc-music-john-peel-lecture-iggy-pops-keynote-speech-transcript

Maybe it's bit more coherent and interesting written down, but I tried watching the actual lecture last year when it was broadcast and had to give up as Iggy Pop's delivery was so irritating. It doesn't matter how important your message is if you can't deliver it properly then you won't reach your audience.

This year's lecture by Brian Eno was far more interesting and well delivered.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1445508547' post='2891948']
This year's lecture by Brian Eno was far more interesting and well delivered.
[/quote]
Eno was a total bore.
He didn't look comfortable and rambled on and on getting nowhere fast.
An hour or however long to 'define culture' and never getting anymore interesting than the dictionary.

YAWN!

and that Mark Radcliffe - could he try any harder to be John Peel mk2? he's even adopted his voice.

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1445519555' post='2892089']
Great read - thanks for posting.
[/quote]

Dare I suggest "Lars was right".......

The tipping point has to come, when being a musician ceases to be the (albeit limited) opportunity for a full time career, that it is is now. If established artists like Iggy can't make a living, albeit, he's possibly doing pretty well by normal standards, but I doubt he's lighting cigars with $100 bills.

It does make me wonder how an artist of the likes of Neil Young will ever come through again : his career has been fascinating, and is built on runs of outstanding albums, punctuated with utterly unlistenable stuff like 'Trans' - but he's never dull. However, these days, he'd be dropped after a couple of albums, because even the great albums wouldnt sell in the numbers seen for the likes of Harvest and After the Gold Rush, and one duff album, and he'd be dropped. Equally, he wouldn't make a living out of the royalties paid by the likes of Spotify, if he'd only had a big album, and a poor performing follow up.

There seems to be a disconnect between the music public's desire for great new artists and material, and their willingness to pay for it. Music can't be free if we want it to be made by people who have a long running artistic career of highs and lows, which is interesting.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1445511362' post='2891994']
As an aside: I saw the Foo Fighters at the MK/National Bowl a few months ago. Supported by Royal Blood and Iggy Pop.
Of the three Iggy Pop is the only one I'd bother to see again.
[/quote]

Cool, local boy from around here got the drum gig... will tell him, I'm sure he'll enjoy that.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1445537932' post='2892299']
It does make me wonder how an artist of the likes of Neil Young will ever come through again : his career has been fascinating, and is built on runs of outstanding albums, punctuated with utterly unlistenable stuff like 'Trans' - but he's never dull.
[/quote]

Trans is one of my favourite NY albums :D Agree with the general point though.