Why become a member? ×

Suggest good 5 string songs to learn

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='278889' date='Sep 6 2008, 11:40 PM']I have had a 5 string for a week but haven't used the B string yet so as the title says suggest me something[/quote]

Erm, good question! start off by playing some of your songs lower than usual, so instead of playing C on 3rd fret, A string, play it 1st fret B. Same as D, play it 3rd fret B string instead of 5th fret A...it'll get you used to playing it and then you start to wonder how you lived without :)

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='278893' date='Sep 6 2008, 11:56 PM']Erm, good question! start off by playing some of your songs lower than usual, so instead of playing C on 3rd fret, A string, play it 1st fret B. Same as D, play it 3rd fret B string instead of 5th fret A...it'll get you used to playing it and then you start to wonder how you lived without :)[/quote]

I've never tried that before hehe.

As suggested, just try using the low B for the lower octave instead, you may find it fills out the sound of a song, they sonically demand attention when used right. I've really been getting use to mine lately, well mines a half step down, but nonetheless I can't resist to use it when the times right. I'm probally not the only one who gets a bit annoyed when people say "Ohhh 5 string's are only for lazy metal bassists who can't be bothered to detune, because otherwise whats the use for them".

[quote name='Josh' post='278909' date='Sep 7 2008, 01:01 AM']"Ohhh 5 string's are only for lazy metal bassists who can't be bothered to detune, because otherwise whats the use for them".[/quote]

I then tell 'em they're also for lazy arsed rock bassists who cant be bothered to change position! :) soo much easier to play when drunk if you don;t actually have to move your hand around!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='278918' date='Sep 7 2008, 01:41 AM']:) Here we go again :huh:
as a die hard four banger all I can say is that if you dont know what it is for, why the f*** did you buy it :huh:[/quote]

It was a tenner.

I'm not going to use it in a live situation I just wanted to know if there were any good basslines that incorporated the B for fun.

Cheers for the suggestions guys.

Living Colour- ignorance is bliss, postman (some low B notes dropped in towards the end)
Mick Jagger- sweet thing
(all by Doug Wimbish)

Megadeth- hangar 18

5's turned up in nu-metal quite a bit eg. Limp Bizkit's mission impossible cover (low B used in the chorus for the C# D#)

quite a few Def Leppard songs have low B notes on them, if you can face learning them!
eg. all I want is everything

QOTSA use C tuning, so a 5 can cover their basslines quite well eg. No-one knows.

can't think of any punk genre songs with tuning lower than D,
the Stranglers' "Outside tokyo" has the E string dropped to C or something, but it's a slow waltz.....

Edited by SJA

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='278918' date='Sep 7 2008, 01:41 AM']:) Here we go again :huh:
as a die hard four banger all I can say is that if you dont know what it is for, why the f*** did you buy it :huh:[/quote]

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='278980' date='Sep 7 2008, 10:13 AM']It was a tenner.
...[/quote]
Thats good enough :huh:
Lots of players use 5 strings just to play everything 5 positions up where it is more comfortable and avoid changing hand postion as much. Saw a guy last night wheo never went down below the 5th fret so never played the extra low notes.

5 strings are also good if you use horn friendly keys like Bb and Eb.

anything in drop D can be done on a five string, just for the sake of it :)

i once saw in an official sum 41 tab book fat lip transcribed as on 5 string tab, when its clearly just played in drop D cos the bass player (as far as i know) only ever plays four strings, and the tab only uses the 3rd and 5th frets on the B string