Why become a member? ×

Godin LR Baggs Acoustibass

Paul S

Just bought one of these on eBay by way of upgrading my semi-acoustic bass. I've never seen or played one before but it seems to tick a lot of boxes. 6.5lbs? It will be a while before I get it - meanwhile I wondered if anyone has had one and what I can expect?

Pic nicked of t'net - mine is black but fretted, not fretless.

Gorgeous lined fretless bass you have here !

I love these Godin LR Baggs basses
I use to own 2 basses, a natural and a black instrument.

One day i had to sell my black lady. Splendid Ebony unlined fingerboard. I miss her sometimes. I still play my natural version.
Thin JB style neck, quick response piezo system, light weight etc...
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/189742-godin-lr-baggs-fretless

.... which is today. It arrived yesterday but, as I was out all day yesterday, I have only managed to take it out of the box so far. Just 6lbs, original branded hard case, fair bit of mojo (anyone know when they started to make these?) and surprisingly loud acoustically unplugged. :)

Thanks for that.

Disappointingly the electrics are knackered - when I took the little panel off to stick a battery in some of the wiring is barely hanging on by a thread (someone has made a real bodge of doing some soldering) and, once plugged in, it is barely louder than unplugged with no difference when the eq settings are changed. Just sent the seller a message. :(

On closer inspection the eq is actually completely disconnected to the pickup. That explains a lot :)

Massive favour - is there any chance that someone who owns one of these Acoustibasses can take a pic of the eq to show which wires are supposed to go where, please?

Edit - this might help:

[attachment=201862:godineq1.jpg]

A is a braided wire, connection seems to be labeled with a -
B thinner wire, see through sleeve, labelled with a +
Cred sleeved braided wire
D quite a thick braided wire, no sleeve
E thinner black sleeved wire

can't read the labels on the bottom 3

Battery connections to the right also need re-soldering.

Edited by Paul S

If you bought it on ebay, don't touch it, get it to a luthier and then, once in the know, claim either for the work, a new pre-amp or a return. If you do it yourself and it still doesn't work (for any of a number of reasons) the seller can claim you did the damage

C

This thread from the LR Baggs forum mentions this preamp - [url="http://www.lrbaggs.com/forum/showthread.php?132-Mystery-Baggs-preamp"]http://www.lrbaggs.com/forum/showthread.php?132-Mystery-Baggs-preamp[/url]
It gives a contact at Baggs who might be able to help with the wiring connections - Bryan McManus (email: [email="bryan@lrbaggs"]bryan@lrbaggs[/email] Tel: 805-929-3545 ext 111)
Maybe worth dropping him an email