Why become a member? ×

PA advice - another one...

smaz

I appreciate there's a couple of threads here already, but each is different!

At the moment my band doesn't have a PA - most of the gigs we've done have had PA provided, or we've used a local sound guy. But a few times the sound guys have let us down, plus it's a nightmare trying to make sure we have a PA before confirming gigs.

After a week from hell trying to organise transport & PA for a gig (thanks to Gelfin for the help though!), I've decided to just take the plunge & buy one.

We're a fairly loud rock & blues band, the drummer is a hard hitter. Through the PA, we need 1 x vocals & 2 x keyboards.

I know next to nothing about PAs, other than if budget wasn't an issue it'd be Barefaced haha!

My budget is £1,000 to cover everything except mic & mic stand. Need at least one floor monitor.

Are there any decent compact systems out there that would suit?

I'm considering this bundle if not, or something similar - is it any good, a good price? Would it suit keyboards?
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/pa-live/detail.asp?stock=10031211410230#main-product-overview

Mackie SRM450 v3 (2014) (Pair)
Mackie ProFX12 Compact Effects Mixer
Stagg SPSQ10 Set (Speaker Stand Pair With Bag)
2 x On Stage MC12-20XLR XLR-XLR Microphone Cable 20ft

Unfortunately time is of the essence & the credit card is needed, so I kinda have to buy new otherwise I'd be on the hunt for bargain second hand stuff.

Cheers :)

SRM450's are great, go for it! V1 and V3 are best, I think 2014 would be V3.

Monitor-wise, have a look at 10" active speakers that can be put on their side. Behringer, Alto, theBox will all be good enough and, new, are like £100-150 each. Just remember to turn the bass down on the EQ to make the vocals pop.

You'll probably need to buy new stands within the year if you use them regularly. Might be worth spending a bit more on Quiklok or something instead.

Personally, I think it will be hard for that money.

I would go for a QSC K10 bundle but there is no desk in that for that budget.
And also, for the budget I'd not put all the keys thru there and they NEEd their own backline..if only for
monitoring. The P.A can then help out but be mainly for Vox.

If I had to save money ..I'd look at RCF ART actives. 10's for Vox only..12's for a a little
re-enforcement. But tops only is mostly for Good vox, IMO.
If you want the band to go threu it..and even if this means gtr or keys, you need very good tops
and the budget goes up.

If £1000 is your max... then Vox only, IMO...to maintain a good vox sound.

Other options might be EX actives, or Yamaha...

Personally, I think the better the horn/hi end, the better all round so maybe look at
Horns with a bigger than 1" C driver.

S/H but heavier... but good quality, IMO. RCF 722's ...the 2 denoting a 2" Comp driver.
These are pretty manly but not lightweight.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1443111299' post='2872323']
What are your thoughts on the V2's? I had a pair fail on me almost immediately and the second pair didn't last much longer. Sounded alright but not as good as the V1's!

I think they've got the sound of the V1's with the V3's and they've sorted the reliability too.
[/quote]

No real frame of reference I'm afraid as never tried the others. I like the sound and the portability and we got them second hand with fitted covers and stands for 400 quid so all in all quite pleased.

Les

I know you wrote that there's no cash available, but these would fit your bill if you can raise some readies somehow...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/269776-allen-and-heath-pa-12-cp-powered-desk-for-sale"]A & H Powered Mixer £250 ...[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/269778-thomann-the-box-powered-12-300-watt-sub"]'The Box' Powered Sub £75 ...[/url]

... both from the same BC member in Milton Keynes.

A pair of passive tops and an active fold-back and you're good to go, keyboards and all. No chance of scraping up the cash for those..?

(Disclaimer: no affiliation with the seller, obviously; I just think they'd suit your needs...)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1443116654' post='2872403']
I know you wrote that there's no cash available, but these would fit your bill if you can raise some readies somehow...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/269776-allen-and-heath-pa-12-cp-powered-desk-for-sale"]A & H Powered Mixer £250 ...[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/269778-thomann-the-box-powered-12-300-watt-sub"]'The Box' Powered Sub £75 ...[/url]

... both from the same BC member in Milton Keynes.

A pair of passive tops and an active fold-back and you're good to go, keyboards and all. No chance of scraping up the cash for those..?

(Disclaimer: no affiliation with the seller, obviously; I just think they'd suit your needs...)
[/quote]

Pay with Paypal and use the credit card as the source of Paypal funds?

That would mean you could use the card, but the seller gets readies.

+1 for the RCF. I'd check out the ART 312a - very similar to SRM 450s (I think RCF designed the SRM 450s for Mackie?) and same price, but sound is a bit less hyped and possibly more reliable (but I'm biased as my SRM 450 has just blown up a pubs fuse box!)
Personally I thought the Mackie Pro FX I had sounded terrible. If you could find a second hand Spirit by Soundcraft desk they are way better (but no reverb). But definitely check out other desks - you will get way more out of your PA cabs with a good desk. If you're ok with digital and can stretch to this I'm pretty sure you wouldn't regret it:
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/soundcraft-ui16-remote-control-digital-mixer/111072?gclid=Cj0KEQjwvo6wBRCG3Zv92ZSLlIYBEiQA5PLVAh8S37gmAsgkuMJeLEo6kLstjLTEtgtlk6SgC6N-iIMaAr188P8HAQ

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1443117060' post='2872416']
Pay with Paypal and use the credit card as the source of Paypal funds?

That would mean you could use the card, but the seller gets readies.
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

I'd not thought of that; makes things much more credible. In a year or so, or if things evolve, this gear could be upgraded with little loss. Meanwhile, it's a quick, solid, pub/club-sized rig for little outlay. What's not to like..?

I'm in a seven piece rock/blues/soul band, and we used a gear4music PA package to start with (about £500), and updated the mixer/power amp to a combined Behringer unit we got for a bargain price from Thomann (about £280). So: maybe consider starting basic and then upgrading, certainly the original package was fine for pubs.

What is your transport and storage situation like? Do you want powered or passive? Do you own an iPad because if so you could get a small digital mixer and negate the need to ever buy racks full of processing gear?

Have a good shop around and £1000 can get you a great set up. I sold a full BFM rig earlier this year for £800 including amps which absolutely wiped the floor with many off the shelf rigs (we used it at a rock wedding where there was a DJ with a QSC K12 / sub rig and it beat that all ends up for detail, volume and dispersion) but it was bulky and a pain to store.

If you want powered I'm always a fan of RCF tops for reliability and build quality. the 322a's, 422a's, 722a's are great and less harsh than the 312a's etc. Our 322a's cost just £380 for a pair last yr from a sound hire company moving on older stock. They've done over 100 gigs now and are still brilliant.

I heard a pair of these recently and they were very good http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pyrit_15a.htm . I was surprised by the price too.

Edited by mrtcat