Why become a member? ×

RickenFakers

Happy Jack

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1334175248' post='1612190']
I certainly would if it all went tits up.

Have you got the bass yet Oli?
[/quote]

Nah, wasn't far away so hadn't paid on the offchance he'd come through Bristol. Got his email so gonna go not via ebay.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1334182519' post='1612383']
Nah, wasn't far away so hadn't paid on the offchance he'd come through Bristol. Got his email so gonna go not via ebay.
[/quote]
Result.

Sure you won't have a problem shifting it, even if you have to go for a stealth listing. ;)

There's quite a lot of Rick copies that look uncannily like real Ricks. Perhaps all auctions for what are purportedly real Ricks should be flagged to Ebay - after all, as I'm sure Mr Hall would agree, you can't be too careful...

Just snagged a Ric copy; Shaftesbury I believe, can anyone confirm?

It has stereo out (though only mono appears to work), thru-neck, closed back tuners, cream binding (binding on neck then a thin 'binding width' stripe of unpainted neck); unsure as to the originality of the black paintwork (not that it matters).

Oh and it sounds uncannily like a R**********r!

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/100_2235.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/100_2226.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/100_2238.jpg[/IMG]

The TR cover has been painted over with a 12 letter word beginning with 'R'!

The more I've looked over the paintwork the more I think it could be original, my concerns were due to the stripe down the fingerboard edge and some flaking/chipping around the binding BUT I think paint would flake and chip on the edges of binding (the binding has eased off a mm or two in one or two places [just a cm or so]).

I'll research CMI a bit further. The bass has a single TR with an external bolt as opposed to a bullet socket.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1334519745' post='1617184']
Shaftesbury's have quite a chunky neck - slim nut width but fatter than a say an Ibanez.or Aria.
[/quote]

Difficult to draw a conclusion as I don't have an Ibanez or Aria to compare it to! :D

The neck certainly (if my memory serves me right) feels a little fuller than the last pukka Ric that I tried but feels very even from neck heel to headstock join.

All looks exactly like my CMI, except mine was crudely sprayed black after power sanding off the varnish on the natural maple original finish.

Edit: Actually, are the saddles chromed? They weren't on mine, but the replacement rickenfaker bridge was.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

Saddles are chromed. So is there a simple means of distinguishing a CMI from a S'bury and do any of the others have these features? Not that it matters, it is purely out of interest.

To summarise;

bound neck and body (binding doesn't meet behind the bridge)
thru-neck
stereo outputs
closed tuners
pearloid (plastic?) inset inlays
lacquered (Rosewood?) fingerboard
bridge isn't flat to the body at the very end (not lifting, it is meant to be thus)
single truss rod with a (brass) nut as opposed to recessed bullet

What makes you think the bridge isn't suppose to be flat to the body? CMI are a bit mysterious, even Marshall who were behind them don't know where they were made. Bridge not touching at the back probably isn't a 'feature':
[IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/Incarante/Rickenfaker/P1010837.jpg[/IMG]

:lol: Some drastic tension on that bridge!

The front is nice and flat/flush and there is absolutely no give when you try and push down but I appreciate what you are saying that it could be a case of the string tension/pressure bending the anchor points up... though being able to see the thing in person I don't believe that is the case.

That metal is pretty funny stuff, that one was rigid, I think it just flows really slowly. Giveaway is Rickenbacker spent a while with two extra holes and screws to stop it happening, but people complained it spoiled the look in an effort to prove style over substance.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1334529955' post='1617393']
That metal is pretty funny stuff, that one was rigid, I think it just flows really slowly. Giveaway is Rickenbacker spent a while with two extra holes and screws to stop it happening, but people complained it spoiled the look in an effort to prove style over substance.
[/quote]

Bizarre, isn't it? I have the 7-screw bridge on the 4001 I'm punting right now, as the original had about 4mm tail-lift. Had around ten Ricks and the only on that didn't exhibit TL was a '73 4001. Even my CS was starting to exhibit it and that's one reason i got shot of!

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1334677796' post='1619613']
Bizarre, isn't it? I have the 7-screw bridge on the 4001 I'm punting right now, as the original had about 4mm tail-lift. Had around ten Ricks and the only on that didn't exhibit TL was a '73 4001. Even my CS was starting to exhibit it and that's one reason i got shot of!
[/quote]
73? Might have been one of the older aluminium tailpieces, which were less susceptible to tail lift. Seeing as how RIC brought in big price increases a few years ago to "manage demand", it might have been nice if they re-introduced the ali version. Or just brought in the mythical new bridge design. :rolleyes:

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1335213075' post='1627477']
Bass collection, can't see it lasting long at all

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Collection-Californian-Pro-Bass-Based-Rickenbacker-4003-Bass-/221006990394?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item33750b0c3a"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item33750b0c3a[/url]
[/quote]
You were right about that!