Why become a member? ×

RickenFakers

Happy Jack

thats true that. they are advertised in my local music shop as tokai, but nobody really knows!

interesting investigation on the '73 chaps, as said it was a transition year so can be a bugger to determine what should be original!

as a rickenlearner (not a rockinbeginner :) ) when you say "the holes are oval in the bridge" exactly which ones do you mean? the ones in the tailpiece where the strings come through the stop or actually on the bridge itself? apologies if this is a bit of a ricken-noob question.

its not a faker so a bit offtopic, but this is nice.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rickenbacker-4000-single-pickup-1973-in-Jetglo_W0QQitemZ300273722261QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300273722261&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]4000[/url]

[quote name='Dan_Q' post='331216' date='Nov 18 2008, 04:29 AM']its not a faker so a bit offtopic, but this is nice.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rickenbacker-4000-single-pickup-1973-in-Jetglo_W0QQitemZ300273722261QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300273722261&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]4000[/url][/quote]

Perfect punk rock Rick for me, don't like the price though. Especially since the poor thing would take a battering from me

[quote name='Dan_Q' post='331195' date='Nov 18 2008, 12:50 AM']as a rickenlearner (not a rockinbeginner :) ) when you say "the holes are oval in the bridge" exactly which ones do you mean? the ones in the tailpiece where the strings come through the stop or actually on the bridge itself? apologies if this is a bit of a ricken-noob question.[/quote]
Yes - it's the holes in the tailpiece that the strings pass through. Copy parts have very even, oval holes, while real ones are more squared-off & rough-looking. It's a worrying fact that if you compare the two side-by-side the old Japanese ones appear much better finished & more robust.. I guess that's why Ricks have been plagued with tail-lift since the tailpieces stopped being huge lumps of cast aluminium, sometime in the early 70s.

Speaking of early 70s, that 4000's a stunner, and that's probably a damn good price too, considering current Rick values.

J.

Haven't seen one of these before:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Rose-Morris-Electric-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ150309633551QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item150309633551&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Rose-Morris-...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

If I wasn't already maxed out on basses just now, I might be tempted by that. It's just sufficiently quirky to justify buying it.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='331361' date='Nov 18 2008, 11:22 AM']Speaking of early 70s, that 4000's a stunner, and that's probably a damn good price too, considering current Rick values.

J.[/quote]

Thanks! The 4000 is/was mine and has now been B.I.N'd by a fellow Basschatter.....I'm currently brassic and as nothing else was shifting something really needed to go, so it was priced accordingly.

It's a great bass, one of the best Rics I've ever owned/played (and I've played [i]so[/i] many...). Everyone who knows it thinks I'm mad for selling it, but I still have some very nice others. Our singer is going to be gutted as he loves it! It is actually a great punk bass as it's extremely aggressive-sounding.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='330204' date='Nov 16 2008, 06:26 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Bass_W0QQitemZ320318497918QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320318497918&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]Tokai[/url][/quote]

Missed it!!!! I knew there was something I had to do!!!!. Has anyone got a Tokia are they any good?

[Dodgy American accent] Hey there, RickenBuddies! [/Dodgy American accent] I need a pickup surround for the bridge pickup on a 4001/4003.

I do NOT want a vintage/original surround - it's going to be b*ggered around with, so what I want is either a cheap after-market item or something salvaged from a RickenFaker.

Anyone got something suitable lying around that they'd like to convert into cash?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='335283' date='Nov 24 2008, 08:30 AM'][Dodgy American accent] Hey there, RickenBuddies! [/Dodgy American accent] I need a pickup surround for the bridge pickup on a 4001/4003.

I do NOT want a vintage/original surround - it's going to be b*ggered around with, so what I want is either a cheap after-market item or something salvaged from a RickenFaker.

Anyone got something suitable lying around that they'd like to convert into cash?[/quote]

Was tempted a while ago to try one of these, but I decided to put the cover back on - IMO looks cooler :)
[url="http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/RICBridgePUPlate.html"]Pickguardian (Ric 4000)[/url]

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='334589' date='Nov 22 2008, 08:08 PM']Missed it!!!! I knew there was something I had to do!!!!. Has anyone got a Tokia are they any good?[/quote]

I've tried one was alright, but would recommend a decent old MIJ copy (not a Kay!) over one anyday.

Just spotted 'Bushes scream while my daddy prunes' - Very Things on your signature. What a song, you have impeccable taste sir! :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='nick' post='335759' date='Nov 24 2008, 07:19 PM']Was tempted a while ago to try one of these, but I decided to put the cover back on - IMO looks cooler :)
[url="http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/RICBridgePUPlate.html"]Pickguardian (Ric 4000)[/url][/quote]

Nice one Nick - pretty much exactly what I need.

Even better, their illustration of a 4003 with "the original pickup surround" also shows why I need it. They've had to grind down the 'lip' of the pickguard by several mm to gain clearance for the strings.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='335906' date='Nov 24 2008, 10:41 PM']Even better, their illustration of a 4003 with "the original pickup surround" also shows why I need it. They've had to grind down the 'lip' of the pickguard by several mm to gain clearance for the strings.[/quote]

All the newer Rickenbackers seem to have that dip in the chrome surround. It's often pretty sharp too if you remove the pickup cover. The older chrome surrounds don't have the dip. On the newer bass I have that I've removed the cover from, I've replaced the surround with a Pickguardian chrome surround.

Yes, it worked fine for me.

It's odd, but I don't mind the original cover on some basses (and there's no choice with the CS), but it bothers me on others. The dipped surround appears to have been brought in in the late eighties or early 90s. I've taken covers off 70s and 80s basses with no problems as they had no dip and the 91 is fine with the cover off as it's not sharp, but when I did it to my 03, it was so sharp that I decided to try the Pickguardian solution.

Pickguardian are good to deal with and if you've ever taken the original cover off then it's easy to fit the Pickguardian solution. Just make sure to note how the springs and washers are on the large screws so that you can refit them (see [url="http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/bpickups.pdf"]http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/bpickups.pdf[/url] for a diagram). One screw will also have the earth wire on it. I think it looks fine, although I've swapped the white one in the photograph below for the mirrored one which looks a bit better to me. I'll photograph that if you want.

Left: '03 4003 FG with white Pickguardian surround
Right: '07 4003 DCM with unaltered surround

Edited by jonsmith

I made a Pickguardian-esque cover for my Kasuga Rickenbugger:

Perspex with mirrored card behind it - a proper Pickguardian one would have different screw spacing & be cut to fit around a proper Rick pickup, not my bass' square JapCrap thing.

I've never understood why there's not a fitted metal alternative to the stock Rick part - it would be simple to design & manufacture and inevitably would sell well, considering how many players take the pickup covers off their basses. The Pickguardian part looks OK but a proper chromed steel surround would be much more in keeping with the rest of the bass.

J.

[quote name='jonsmith' post='337292' date='Nov 26 2008, 02:28 PM']As I've said before Jon, that is such a fine looking bass, especially for a faker. I really like the maple fretboard look too.

My apologies for hijacking the faker thread with non-faker information.[/quote]

Not at all! I'm more than happy to see proper Ricks & Rick-related stuff here. :)

J.

Still loving that Kasuga, Jon.

Where do you rest your thumb when playing fingerstyle?

Until now, I've rested my thumbnail on the edge of the pickguard, neither secure nor comfortable. One thing I like about the Pickguardian is that the optional pickup shield should provide a good resting point.

As far as "the look" is concerned, I'm going for the clear perspex with mirror backing. From a distance it should look like seriously well-polished chrome.

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='336369' date='Nov 25 2008, 04:12 PM']Thank you very much Nick..... Do you remember the video they made for that track on the Tube??? Sheer brilliance!![/quote]

Classic - actually reminded me to look it last night on Youtube