Why become a member? ×

RickenFakers

Happy Jack

[quote name='Musky' post='539866' date='Jul 13 2009, 11:08 PM']Nice buy at that kind of money! You're certainly not going to lose out if you don't get along with it.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the expense of a rewind as there's no guarantee it would improve things substantially and you'd never recoup the expense.[/quote]

andy from wizard can do them for 35 quid each.

Edited by riff raff

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='539772' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:54 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ibanez-bass-guitar_W0QQitemZ130318521936QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item1e5796d650&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A10|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50"]Ibanez[/url][/quote]
That's the one that was up at a grand a few times, before continuing to not sell at £500. I think this is the fifth re-list, must be costing him a fortune in fees.

All the time he's too lazy to post it & too greedy to start it low it probably won't sell.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='540054' date='Jul 14 2009, 09:40 AM']That's the one that was up at a grand a few times, before continuing to not sell at £500. I think this is the fifth re-list, must be costing him a fortune in fees.

All the time he's too lazy to post it & too greedy to start it low it probably won't sell.

J.[/quote]

any info on how these sound bassassasin?

anyone got one?

got any info/advice?

[quote name='riff raff' post='540131' date='Jul 14 2009, 11:00 AM']any info on how these sound bassassasin?

anyone got one?

got any info/advice?[/quote]
D'you mean the Ibby or your Hondo?

The Ibby pups are interesting - they look like Gibson Mudbuckers (it's the same set as the EB-0 copy oif the same era) but in fact they're single coils. I can't speak for the big square neck 'un, but I've got the same sort as the bridge one fitted in my Frankenbugger Parts-Box Special:

And it sounds great - I'd say a lot more like a real Rick pup than the "accurate" Hi-gain copy on my Kasuga. Admittedly the neck pup on the Frank [b]is[/b] a real Rickenbacker Hi-gain, so that probably sweetens it a bit, but the chrome bridge pup is very bright, full & loud - it measures about 11k so like a lot of old MIJ units, it ain't subtle.

Rick copies have been selling well lately - probably due to RIC's own price hikes, and £500 is pretty good for an Ibby - because of the brand name these are the most sought-after & collectable Rick copies. This one does have a neck/body split he's stopped mentioning in his ads, without seeing it, there's no real way of knowing if it's an issue or not - but this sort of thing can be a symptom of neck/body join warping, which can result in an unalterably high action.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='540325' date='Jul 14 2009, 01:56 PM']D'you mean the Ibby or your Hondo?

The Ibby pups are interesting - they look like Gibson Mudbuckers (it's the same set as the EB-0 copy oif the same era) but in fact they're single coils. I can't speak for the big square neck 'un, but I've got the same sort as the bridge one fitted in my Frankenbugger Parts-Box Special:

And it sounds great - I'd say a lot more like a real Rick pup than the "accurate" Hi-gain copy on my Kasuga. Admittedly the neck pup on the Frank [b]is[/b] a real Rickenbacker Hi-gain, so that probably sweetens it a bit, but the chrome bridge pup is very bright, full & loud - it measures about 11k so like a lot of old MIJ units, it ain't subtle.

Rick copies have been selling well lately - probably due to RIC's own price hikes, and £500 is pretty good for an Ibby - because of the brand name these are the most sought-after & collectable Rick copies. This one does have a neck/body split he's stopped mentioning in his ads, without seeing it, there's no real way of knowing if it's an issue or not - but this sort of thing can be a symptom of neck/body join warping, which can result in an unalterably high action.

J.[/quote]
the hondo.

Re. the Ibby pickups, I had the mudbucker lookalike from my old, dead Ibanez on my home-built bass for several years (then changed to a Dimarzio, then a Darkstar). The sound was kind of cool - very lively, characterful and clanky, but maybe a bit lean in the bottom end. Pretty aggressive sounding with a set of new Rotosounds! I think the coil and magnets were identical to the smaller bridge pickup, but with a different polepiece arrangement.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='beerdragon' post='551044' date='Jul 25 2009, 12:45 PM']This one even has the Rick logo on. those damn Chinese! :)

[url="http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/Ricke-cker-black-gibson-Electric-Guitar-free-shipping/115971-1366164.html"]http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/Ricke-ck...71-1366164.html[/url][/quote]
Oh, the "Rickenbacker black Gibson electric guitar"? :rolleyes:]

Really though, that is disappointingly rubbish - they're not even trying.

J.

Lefty Ibanez Copy

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Vintage1976-Ibenez-2388B-Lefty-bass-ideal-Tribute_W0QQitemZ190325274452QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item2c50453754&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Vintage1976-Ibe...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

[quote name='Bassassin' post='556668' date='Jul 30 2009, 10:59 PM']You don't see many of them. Or Ebay dealers who can't spell "Ibanez"!! :rolleyes: Way to get the hits! :)

J.[/quote]

OK, I spent several nights trying to get a crap old picture onto here, then several nights in a psychiatric establishment to stop the screaming.
Got to tell you bassassin, I love your sub-title, even though Attila the Hen (wife) did not take too kindly to being called it.
She even paused when blow torching the toast.

Now I've remembered why I looked here the other night. Hopefully Bassassin can be his usual copy Rickapedia.
Hopefully these photos will attach, (only poor camera phone I'm afraid) she will be going on sale soon.
I bought this on ebay a couple of months back and unsurprisingly things weren't quite what they seem. The biggest problem is that it is medium scale and my fingers are long scale (and actually pretty fat scale, slightly resembling the centres of American Hot dogs).
Anyway,I would like to describe as accurately as possible, so J, if youv'e got your ears on, any info gratefully accepted.
Condition rather quite good except for some poor attempts at respraying(only visible close up).
Neck has been re-glued at some stage, excess glue has not been removed, but other than that a good job.
There are no model/serial number, or "Made in...." written on it. It was advertised as made in Japan.
I cannot find it in any EKO catalogue, and I seem to remember reading somewhere that even Ibanez didn't start serial numbers until 1975.
This is a good sounding, good condition, very light bass, that my fingers are too big for. Any help from anybody to help describe as accurately as possible would be gratefully accepted.
Confused of Wigan.

[quote name='karlfer' post='563278' date='Aug 8 2009, 07:05 AM']Now I've remembered why I looked here the other night. Hopefully Bassassin can be his usual copy Rickapedia.
Hopefully these photos will attach, (only poor camera phone I'm afraid) she will be going on sale soon.
I bought this on ebay a couple of months back and unsurprisingly things weren't quite what they seem. The biggest problem is that it is medium scale and my fingers are long scale (and actually pretty fat scale, slightly resembling the centres of American Hot dogs).
Anyway,I would like to describe as accurately as possible, so J, if youv'e got your ears on, any info gratefully accepted.
Condition rather quite good except for some poor attempts at respraying(only visible close up).
Neck has been re-glued at some stage, excess glue has not been removed, but other than that a good job.
There are no model/serial number, or "Made in...." written on it. It was advertised as made in Japan.
I cannot find it in any EKO catalogue, and I seem to remember reading somewhere that even Ibanez didn't start serial numbers until 1975.
This is a good sounding, good condition, very light bass, that my fingers are too big for. Any help from anybody to help describe as accurately as possible would be gratefully accepted.
Confused of Wigan.[/quote]
Quite tricky, this - there isn't much info out there about these but from seeing them come up on Ebay (they're not too uncommon) there were definitely both Japanese and Italian versions of the same thing sold under the Shaftesbury brand. The set-neck & style of tuners on yours makes me inclined to think it's Italian, and this being the case it's pretty early, possibly even late 60s - but with no catalogues to cross-reference I'm just guessing!

Anyway, Shaftesbury guitars initially seemed to be Italian-made copies (as well as Ricks I've seen thinline Tele guitars & 50s-style P basses) and UK-made (Ned Callan) originals but by the mid 70s they pretty much all seemed to be decent-quality MIJ copies, predominantly Matsumoku. That's just the history as far as I can make it out - I don't think the basses like yours were Matsumokus but the Japanese ones might represent some sort of transitional period in the Shafty range. I've seen MIJ Shafty P-basses too, like the Italian ones.

Eko definitely supplied Shaftesbury acoustics & electrics so I'd be inclined to think the Rick "copies" (there never was a real Rick 330 bass) came from the same place There's some info about Shaftesbury/Eko on the [url="http://www.fetishguitars.com/html/general/shaftesbury.html"]Fetishguitars site[/url] but they've changed it a bit recently and the English version of this page has conveniently vanished!

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='563354' date='Aug 8 2009, 10:27 AM']Quite tricky, this - there isn't much info out there about these but from seeing them come up on Ebay (they're not too uncommon) there were definitely both Japanese and Italian versions of the same thing sold under the Shaftesbury brand. The set-neck & style of tuners on yours makes me inclined to think it's Italian, and this being the case it's pretty early, possibly even late 60s - but with no catalogues to cross-reference I'm just guessing!

Anyway, Shaftesbury guitars initially seemed to be Italian-made copies (as well as Ricks I've seen thinline Tele guitars & 50s-style P basses) and UK-made (Ned Callan) originals but by the mid 70s they pretty much all seemed to be decent-quality MIJ copies, predominantly Matsumoku. That's just the history as far as I can make it out - I don't think the basses like yours were Matsumokus but the Japanese ones might represent some sort of transitional period in the Shafty range. I've seen MIJ Shafty P-basses too, like the Italian ones.

Eko definitely supplied Shaftesbury acoustics & electrics so I'd be inclined to think the Rick "copies" (there never was a real Rick 330 bass) came from the same place There's some info about Shaftesbury/Eko on the [url="http://www.fetishguitars.com/html/general/shaftesbury.html"]Fetishguitars site[/url] but they've changed it a bit recently and the English version of this page has conveniently vanished!

Jon.[/quote]

Thanks once again Jon.
I looked on the fetish sight, but could not find the bass in their catalogues (dating from about 64 to mid 80's).
I really just want to as honest as I can be when I advertise it, so I will need to think carefully about what I say.
I do remember seeing somewhere the Italian version had a narrow tailpiece and one piece pick guard , but I am b******d if I can remember where I saw that.
Reality is I will be as honest as I can , but going out at £160 to BC'ers and £180 reserve on ebay, I am not going to worry into an early grave!
Again Jon, many thanks, you have helped a lot of people with your knowledge sharing.
Cheers,
Karl.

[quote name='karlfer' post='563584' date='Aug 8 2009, 05:23 PM']Thanks once again Jon.
I looked on the fetish sight, but could not find the bass in their catalogues (dating from about 64 to mid 80's).
I really just want to as honest as I can be when I advertise it, so I will need to think carefully about what I say.
I do remember seeing somewhere the Italian version had a narrow tailpiece and one piece pick guard , but I am b******d if I can remember where I saw that.
Reality is I will be as honest as I can , but going out at £160 to BC'ers and £180 reserve on ebay, I am not going to worry into an early grave!
Again Jon, many thanks, you have helped a lot of people with your knowledge sharing.
Cheers,
Karl.[/quote]
It might be an idea to do a bit of exploratory surgery on it - unscrew the scratchplate & have a look at the backs of the pots, same with pickups, tuners & other hardware - you might well find some evidence of country of origin - or even a particular manufacturer there. I'm by no means 100% convinced this is Italian.

I'd say £160-ish is a pretty decent price for this (sorry not in the running to buy, too skint!) but I'd be wary of high reserves/start prices on Ebay these days. I've seen lots of stuff that's quite realistically priced fail to sell because of this - on the other hand low starts/no reserves are attracting plenty of early bids & often end up in demented bidding wars. Funny thing, Ebay psychology... :)

J.

Thanks once again J, a man amongst men.
Right, here we go, brace yourself Mabel.
Like I said, crap photos, including the obvious "Turn it down we have had complaints from Hurworth (8 miles via Crow)".
Also on one of the black and white ones we were supporting the King Crabs. Bassist/vocals by a big fella called Jimmy Nail.
Wonder what happened to him?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='569903' date='Aug 15 2009, 01:39 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-bass-guitar-modded_W0QQitemZ160355979957QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item2555f612b5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]Tokai[/url][/quote]

I think it's a Basschatter thats selling that one.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='585091' date='Aug 30 2009, 01:08 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/60s-70s-VINTAGE-COPY-BASS-GUITAR-AMERICAN-STYLE-BASS_W0QQitemZ110429632615QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item19b61e7867&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]Kay? Looks rubbish though,[/url][/quote]
Looks like a bitsa / home made effort to me. That's an EB-0 copy neck by the looks of it. Definitely rubbish! :)

J.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320418507184"]Black & Red Mess[/url]

No idea what this is thanks to awful photos which the seller describes as "as many different close-ups as possible". :)

Won't be there for long.

J.