Why become a member? ×

RickenFakers

Happy Jack

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1038489' date='Nov 27 2010, 02:57 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Semi-acoustic-Bass-Guitar-Rickenbacker-style-/280595010027?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4154c411eb"]Guitar shaped one[/url][/quote]

Is it just me, or does that TRC look too big for the neck?

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1038489' date='Nov 27 2010, 02:57 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Semi-acoustic-Bass-Guitar-Rickenbacker-style-/280595010027?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4154c411eb"]Guitar shaped one[/url][/quote]
I really hate it when sellers give it all this 'I'm not sure if it's a Rickenbacker'. Of course it has a Rickenbacker name plate on the head - she bought one on the 'bay 5 months ago!

Oh, but a GUITAR SHOP - those expert arbiters of all things musical, couldn't tell whether it was a real Rickenbacker or not. So clearly, it might well be a real one! And who the hell are we, dim little amateur wannabes on a saddo forum, to even imply otherwise? Best we just shut the f@ck up then - shop assistants have spoken! :)

So it'll be an Italian fake trc on an Italian (probably Eko) Faker? The bass actually looks in quite tidy condition.

J.

[quote name='Musky' post='1038604' date='Nov 27 2010, 09:58 AM']I really hate it when sellers give it all this 'I'm not sure if it's a Rickenbacker'. Of course it has a Rickenbacker name plate on the head - she bought one on the 'bay 5 months ago![/quote]

That's enough to make me personally believe that the seller is deliberately out to scam people and is a nasty piece of work.

I wonder what would happen if we emailed her to ask which shop inspected the bass and wasn't sure if it was a real Rickenbacker.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='1039048' date='Nov 27 2010, 05:51 PM']That's enough to make me personally believe that the seller is deliberately out to scam people and is a nasty piece of work.

I wonder what would happen if we emailed her to ask which shop inspected the bass and wasn't sure if it was a real Rickenbacker.[/quote]
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Semi-Acoustic-Bass-Copy-Shaftesbury-Lawsuit-/280595675563"]Arf![/url] :)

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1039471' date='Nov 28 2010, 12:38 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Semi-Acoustic-Bass-Copy-Shaftesbury-Lawsuit-/280595675563"]Arf![/url] :)[/quote]

Did you have a virtual chat with her? I have the vaguest suspicion that someone may have reported her auction. ?But I spoke to a local guitar shop, and they weren't sure if someone had reported her auction or not.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='1039488' date='Nov 28 2010, 01:08 AM']Did you have a virtual chat with her? I have the vaguest suspicion that someone may have reported her auction. ?But I spoke to a local guitar shop, and they weren't sure if someone had reported her auction or not.[/quote]
Not me, Squire. Was faintly motivated, but Captain Apathy came to call. :)

J.

Japanese, "steel adjustable neck", bolt on copy. Looks quite nice. Yet again a low starting price and no reserve.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rickenbacker-Bass-Japanese-Copy-/150524395000?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item230bf3fdf8"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rickenbacker-Bass-Ja...=item230bf3fdf8[/url]

Surely Matsumoku with that neckplate.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1039471' date='Nov 28 2010, 12:38 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Semi-Acoustic-Bass-Copy-Shaftesbury-Lawsuit-/280595675563"]Arf![/url] :)

J.[/quote]
That didn't last long! :lol:

I notice she's photoshopped out the name on the TRC as well. Interestingly I did a search on RIC's UK trademarks the other day and was a bit surprised to find the only UK trademarks they own are for the name and the TRC design. Considering JH has made a big thing about having trademarked ALL of Rickenbacker's key design elements, I was even more surprised to find that in the US that's only expanded to cover the headstock and body designs, the Rickenbacker logo, as well as the horseshoe and toaster pickups . I know nothing about trademark law, but the body drawings supplied weren't very detailed (certainly not detailed enough to make out the bridge design, for instance) and it occurred to me that the trademark would be for the general design as a whole rather than the various distinctive components.

It all seemed a little odd, given that JH has been harassing Hipshot for using the same [i]footprint[/i] for their replacement bridge. :)

[quote name='Musky' post='1039681' date='Nov 28 2010, 10:23 AM']It all seemed a little odd, given that JH has been harassing Hipshot for using the same [i]footprint[/i] for their replacement bridge. :)[/quote]

He's certainly a little odd in this respect. And in terms of running a company capable of churning out instruments in decent quantities these days.

That said, he is still the same lovely guy who spent a couple of hours of his own time giving me a guided tour of the Snata Ana plant and regaling me with stories of Lemmy and the like.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='1039680' date='Nov 28 2010, 10:23 AM']Japanese, "steel adjustable neck", bolt on copy. Looks quite nice. Yet again a low starting price and no reserve.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rickenbacker-Bass-Japanese-Copy-/150524395000?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item230bf3fdf8"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rickenbacker-Bass-Ja...=item230bf3fdf8[/url]

Surely Matsumoku with that neckplate.[/quote]
It is - I told him exactly what it was & exactly how these basses can be identified - but going by his footnote it (in so many words - "some Ebayer said it might be an Aria, but who knows?") plainly wasn't what he wanted to hear. :)

F@ck knows why I bother! :)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1039557' date='Nov 28 2010, 01:56 AM']Not me, Squire. Was faintly motivated, but Captain Apathy came to call. :)

J.[/quote]

I was just about to congratulate you on getting promoted to the rank of "unforeseen circumstance" ...

:)

[quote name='Musky' post='1039681' date='Nov 28 2010, 10:23 AM']..... Considering JH has made a big thing about having trademarked ALL of Rickenbacker's key design elements, I was even more surprised to find that in the US that's only expanded to cover the headstock and body designs, the Rickenbacker logo, as well as the horseshoe and toaster pickups[/quote]

Tell me about it!
I had to remove a listing on ebay for a 330 copy three times, even after just showing a close-up photo of it's toaster pickup! The third time had no photos at all, but JH also strongly objected to the use of 'copy of... Weller, Townsend, McGuinn & Lennon' in the title description! :)
He even sent me a cease & desist message, calling me a counterfeiter & describing my actions as 'sneaky' & 'cynical'. :)

I like that Shaftesbury though,been after one of those for a while - not sure about the price(?).
Anybody else on here going after it?

Edited by nick

[quote name='nick' post='1039861' date='Nov 28 2010, 12:54 PM']Tell me about it!
I had to remove a listing on ebay for a 330 copy three times, even after just showing a close-up photo of it's toaster pickup! The third time had no photos at all, but JH also strongly objected to the use of 'copy of... Weller, Townsend, McGuinn & Lennon' in the title description! :)
He even sent me a cease & desist message, calling me a counterfeiter & describing my actions as 'sneaky' & 'cynical'. :)[/quote]

If he only put all that energy into building guitars - there'd be a lot more Ricks about and the prices of the genuine articles would be much more reasonable (and then there'd be less incentive for the copyists to try to push their "replicas"...)

[quote name='nick' post='1039861' date='Nov 28 2010, 12:54 PM']Tell me about it!
He even sent me a cease & desist message, calling me a counterfeiter & describing my actions as 'sneaky' & 'cynical'. :)

I like that Shaftesbury though,been after one of those for a while - not sure about the price(?).
Anybody else on here going after it?[/quote]

£200 seems reasonable, sold my slightly tattier one for £170.
Be aware though, these are medium scale and it's not easy to get a low action.
I'd always loved the sight of these things, but I found it awful to either play chords or play fast.

Stupidly light though!
Karl.

He even sent me a cease & desist message, calling me a counterfeiter & describing my actions as 'sneaky' & 'cynical'. :lol:

Anybody else on here going after it?[/quote]

That's JH for you - always going the extra mile. :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1039695' date='Nov 28 2010, 10:37 AM']It is - I told him exactly what it was & exactly how these basses can be identified - but going by his footnote it (in so many words - "some Ebayer said it might be an Aria, but who knows?") plainly wasn't what he wanted to hear. :)

F@ck knows why I bother! :P

Jon.[/quote]
Im aving a party to celebrate the collection and 500 sobs on the Ibby :) :D
Anyone for a 70's Maya telecaster bass...in very nice condition??? :lol:

[quote name='nick' post='1041573' date='Nov 29 2010, 08:04 PM']Is it 34" scale & at a sensible price? :)[/quote]
I think these come in around 32" medium scale bridge to nutt but will check once its brought round this evening,price is £275...currently has Flats on and sounds half decent,plays very well