Why become a member? ×

Ever had a stage gimmick?

Born 2B Mild

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='277624' date='Sep 5 2008, 09:57 AM']Robotic dogs, furnitue, equestrian paraphanalia, spare wheel from the van, a drill, selection of hats, acrobatic displays, playing tick off ground, hoping competitions, helium, womens sanitary products, womens clothes, we put the grumbleweeds to shame[/quote]

Not so much a band, more a house clearance shop! :)

I've only had 2 gimmicks that I can remember. Years ago when I quit smoking I got hooked on [url="http://www.chupachups.com/en/"]Chupa Chups [/url]and always went on stage with [url="http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/ou7shined/bass/Rich---MINE---.jpg"]one in me gob[/url], eventually folk would turn up to our gigs with spares for me in case I ran out mid set but I got sick of them and I like a beer when I'm playing and the 2 don't mix.
More recently, my daughter gave me Jerremy the rubber duck to take to one of our gig for her. He spent the better half of a year [url="http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/ou7shined/bass/Me-and-Matt---Aviemore.jpg"]strapped to my headstock[/url]. I put him back in the toy box when I got mu S.U.B.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='277768' date='Sep 5 2008, 01:02 PM']I've only had 2 gimmicks that I can remember. Years ago when I quit smoking I got hooked on [url="http://www.chupachups.com/en/"]Chupa Chups [/url]and always went on stage with [url="http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/ou7shined/bass/Rich---MINE---.jpg"]one in me gob[/url], eventually folk would turn up to our gigs with spares for me in case I ran out mid set but I got sick of them and I like a beer when I'm playing and the 2 don't mix.[/quote]

Ah yes we have Bertie.

He's full of jelly babies. When people in the audience do heroic things (like getting up to dance, dancing barefoot, dancing with the caller or a member of the band, looking nice, etc) they get one.
By the end of the evening everyone's had at least one ..
The comments I get when delivering them can be quite rude ... especially from little old ladies :)

[quote name='cetera' post='277687' date='Sep 5 2008, 11:14 AM']In my KISS tribute.... lycra, make-up, studded codpiece, batwings, a long wiggly tongue (of my own), firebreathing, blood spitting, crotch-thrusting, an 'Axe' bass and seven inch monster-headed stack heels!! lol! :huh: :huh: :huh:[/quote]

Go on, show us all that back stage pic again :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='277856' date='Sep 5 2008, 02:25 PM']Go on, show us all that back stage pic again :)[/quote]

What, this one... with my wife?!? :huh:

Onstage 'action' shot....

Here's the blood....

Here's the axe...

Here's the fire..

I used to have, stood on my amp, a 3 inch high plastic pig playing the guitar. I went through a stage of superstition whereby if I didn't stand it on my amp, we had a bad gig; if I did, it was a good one. Still have it now, but don't put it on my amp, and it makes no difference whatsoever. :)

I also had some shocking clothing during the 80's comprising of a pale blue silk shirt with a matt blue roses pattern along with silver trousers with black and white hieroglyphics all over them. I have photos......daren't upload them. :blush:

[quote name='cetera' post='277687' date='Sep 5 2008, 11:14 AM']In my KISS tribute.... lycra, make-up, studded codpiece, batwings, a long wiggly tongue (of my own), firebreathing, blood spitting, crotch-thrusting, an 'Axe' bass and seven inch monster-headed stack heels!! lol! :huh: :huh: :huh:

In the Madness tribute.... suit and fez... or boiler suit and fez! :unsure:[/quote]

But Gary, that's almost normal wear for you nowadays :)

An excellent bunch of confessions, so far. I'm sure there's more to come that would make Ozzy look more like Michael Parkinson.

I'm trundling down to Duxford for the weekend's air display soon (monsoon permitting), but come Sunday night, I hope to come back to 'riches of embarrassments' on this thread.

:)

As my band has a sort of aviation/space connection (the name originates from the early space programme), I currently have a USAAF 'crusher' cap which I wear onstage (see avatar). Nobody has yet told me to stop wearing 'that silly bloody hat' so I'll keep wearing it until I get fed up with it. Stops the lights reflecting off my head anyway!

I used to wear pink ear muffs (because i told my girlfriend i needed ear protection onstage) a kilt and once played with a soft toy minkey strapped to my bass
we also once played supported by a proggy band and their guitarist got carried away and started sliding his guitar neck off the edge of the stage and acting like a tool so i finished one of our songs by picking up a cymbal stand and using it as a slide

Edited by d-basser

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='278991' date='Sep 7 2008, 10:34 AM']Being the only woman in a hard rock/metal band is a pretty good gimmick.[/quote]

Yeah, but you did what all women in hard rock/metal bands seem to do and play bass! :)

So far no gimmicks for me, but there's still plenty of time!

[quote name='5_string_death' post='279974' date='Sep 8 2008, 08:29 PM']On friday, I plan to wear the hat my team got on tour, namely, a shiny gold roman soldier one with the bright red fluffy bit on top lol. Pics to follow if the others let me lol.
Zach[/quote]
Oo want one!
I shaved my mohawk off at the weekend - feel naked now. :)