Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

On stage vocal monitoring. Active or passive? Recommendations?

Skinnyman

For a whole variety of reasons we need to get a new set of monitors for on stage, er, monitoring. The only thing we put through the PA is vocals.

We can go with passive speakers, driven from a separate power amp. Or a pair of actives.

What do you use?

And can anyone recommend anything in particular?

We always struggle trying to get the vox monitor loud enough to compete with the band without generating feedback, so how do you solve this? Do you go with lots of smaller monitors spread out, or fewer bigger speakers?

Obviously, the answer is to have less stage volume but we all know that's very hard to actually achieve with two guitarists and a heavy handed drummer....

Do you monitor at floor level or on stands?

10", 12"? 15"?

Basically, what works for you?

We play the usual pubs and clubs, small stages and it's two guitars, bass and drums plus vocals and backing vox.

We're looking at in ears but that's not practical for everyone so stage monitoring is still a requirement....

I'm just about to start the ebay trawl so any advice for decent stuff at a reasonable price is gratefully received....

Edited by Skinnyman

It's always a struggle but the difference when you get it right is a complete step up in the sound for you and the audience. Go at it systematically and try and engineer in the solution from the start, all your gear interacts on stage so you need to make it all work together and the more complex it is the harder you have to work. Once you have a plan then you can buy a bit at a time to add up to your complete system.

In answer to your question, go active. in fact, unless you have a sound engineer go only for monitors where you can reach the volume control from the stage, ie on the front of the speaker. You really don't need to be carrying extra amps and have extra cabling nowadays and the active stuff will work with any mixer. I used some active PA speakers for a while and they were good but with the knob hidden away on the back it was a pain if one of them needed adjustment because of feedback halfway through the set.

Who in the band needs to hear what? Anyone singing needs to hear their own voice in the monitors and most people want their voice to be louder than everyone elses. The only way to do this is to have personal monitors. The little ones on stands work well because putting them close to the singer means they don't spill out into the other singers sonic space too much. We use the Behringer B205D's, they work and we've only had one of the three give a problem, which was fixed by Behringer. We put the mic in these so people can control their own volumes, then send the signal to the desk. The problem then is the singers can hear the vocals but the rest of the band can't, at least not very well.

We use a couple of floor wedges for the rest of the band, The drummer has his own monitor if stage space allows. Again I use Behringer's, the B1320's. They actually sound pretty good with vocals, a touch too bassy but a bit of bass cut works to correct this. Nicely made to be fair and no problems to date. They won't go as loud as EV's and the like, despite the huge power claims but they go loud enough that they can cause feedback so no extra volume would be any use unless we suddenly start playing huge stages. They were on offer at the time at DV247.

The big disadvantage of this approach is that giving singers the chance to adjust their own volumes doesn't help the feedback control. I'm a fascist when it comes to gear so my band are fairly good. The other issue is that with five monitors running it can be hard to locate the ones causing any issues, but you learn your gear over time.

The real solution to feedback however is to turn down on stage and persuading drummers that dynamics and attack are not the same as volume. Good luck with that :)

Thanks for all the input folks. The idea of a couple of side fills hadn't occurred to me but might be worth exploring....

For wedges, the warfedale or altos are a good suggestion but I also like the idea of the behringers on stands. Any idea how heavy they are?

But, thanks for the input - this is really useful!

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1442692580' post='2868853']
Lead singer just singing and two guitarists on backing
[/quote]

So all three frontmen have mic stands?

In that case, forget floor wedges and side fills, get three Wharfedale WPM-1 units, or the cheap Behringer equivalents.

Far simpler, more personal, less boxes and cable to trip over, probably cheaper too.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1442700639' post='2868916']

So all three frontmen have mic stands?

In that case, forget floor wedges and side fills, get three Wharfedale WPM-1 units, or the cheap Behringer equivalents.

Far simpler, more personal, less boxes and cable to trip over, probably cheaper too.
[/quote]
I'm currently leaning toward the alto floor monitors plus IEM for the lead vocalist.

But the wpm-1 look interesting. Anyone else use these?

I tried the Alto floor monitors, the new concentric ones aren't as good sounding as the Wharfedale EVP's or the Behringers though they are smaller and probably do the job.

With the personal monitors I tried the Behringers and the Mackies, nothing to choose between them I thought but I'm upgrading my Behringer to one of the TC Voicesolo. The behringer/mackie/WPM-1 can be mounted on the mic stand but the stands are then completely unstable. You really need them on a separate stand. The Voicesolo is more stable as it clips to the stand.

I used a Wharfedale WPM 1 for a while, but it made my mic stand unstable, not good in a rowdy pub where the crowd are in your face, I also thought it sounded boxy unless going through a separate Eq. I now use a Behringer 210d ten inch powered PA speaker. I cut the bass on the speaker. It's got a good sound and loud enough for our band. Pretty impressed!